Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?!
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 45
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 26, 2006 11:01
Well my point mainly is that becuase sony is losing so much because they can' t sell the ps3 at how much its really worth, they need to recover there loses which means that gamers might have to pay more for games - which could lead to less game sales and less revenues for developers which might force developers to rethink exclusivity with ps3 and potential shift there focus to more profitable platforms. Add to this the smaller install base of 500k worldwide ps3, compared to 2million Wiis and over 8million 360s the picture becomes bleaker.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 26, 2006 11:06
Well, Sony' s install base is forked, no contest there, but I' m not sure an expensive launch console dooms sony to gaming obscurity. If it' s one thing Sony is good at, Sony in general even, not just playstation, it' s downsizing, & reducing component costs. I' m just going by what the past has played out.

Gahh! I' m sick of debating, I need all 3 consoles! Now! With demo' s!

Edit: Just noticed, you' ve got 83 posts, and I' ve got 718, and we' re only one level apart, a little strange, don' t you think?
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 26 Sep 06 3:07:50 >
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 26, 2006 11:22

ORIGINAL: Terrak

ORIGINAL: UnluckyOne

I remember N64 prices becoming ridiculous at the end of its lifetime. Sure, no loading times was a big bonus for cartridge games but PD set me back close to $AU200. I think Majora' s mask was similarly priced. But I can excuse PD as it literally gave me and my brother thousands of gameplay hours.

Um is that 200 Australian Dollars? You must be kidding me. During the N64 era i bought all my games when they launched and all were AUS$100 or less (i have over 20-30 N64 games). If you were buying it at that price that store was really pulling a fast one on you or your just unlucky ;p

From what I can remember, the PD bundle came with the memory expansion pack. That' s why it was so expensive. But I remember walking into stores like Kmart, EB, etc and seeing Majora' s Mask and other end lifecycle 64 games for $120+ and thinking twice before purchasing.
Terrak

RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 26, 2006 11:30
I didn' t buy Majoras Mask nor did i see that pack but it would be diffcult for me to buy any game over AUS$100 unless its a Zelda or some top game, even then i wouldn' t be too happy.
I would imagine ps3 games going for AUS$120 or even more.

You live in Australia too? Did you pre order a Wii yet?
< Message edited by Terrak -- 26 Sep 06 3:31:05 >
Terrak

RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 26, 2006 11:34

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

Edit: Just noticed, you' ve got 83 posts, and I' ve got 718, and we' re only one level apart, a little strange, don' t you think?

LOL maybe you need 1000 posts to pass level 3? if so you need to get cracking!
_Ninja_Protocol_

• Total Posts : 212
RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 26, 2006 11:47
I think... $60-$70 per game. I remeber reading and article over at Gamespot where a devoloper said that they where going to sell there games for the same $59.99 price point....I' ll find it tomorrow, cause I' ve got homework to do!
Terrak

RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 26, 2006 12:17
It seems that if sony are to keep competitive they need to keep games prices at around US$60, however there are other problems they need to face.

Losing up to US$300 per console sold, must be made up for in game sales. Lets say sony (not the developer) earns US$10 per game, they need over 30 games so that you can ' pay off' you ps3. Thats 30 games for every console sold! Thats alot of games. IF they don' t believe they could sell that many games they need to increase the price, say US$15, then they need 20 games to break even, a bit less but still quite a lot. This however will increase the retail price of the games which might negatively impact sales. BTW this example only shows what sony need to do to recover the manufacturing loses, sony still doesn' t make a profit nor payback all the R&D and advertising costs - that ain' t too good. On top of that you add a new and advanced media (bluray), which costs significantly more to produce then your standard DVD9. If 360 DVD9 games go for US$60 i find it hard to believe that blu ray games would retail for the same price time anytime soon. To add more salt to the wounds a developer came out saying it takes 5 times more effort to make a ps3 games - further adding to the retail cost of the game. And guess what even when you ' payback' what you owe to sony (the US$300) the games will not be reduced in price they will remain the same (for new released games that is)

Sorry for my long rant but theoretically speaking ps3 games will be signifcantly more expensive then Wiis and 360. I would be surprised if it wasn' t. Look at what sony has been hinting, GT were you need to buy the cars and tracks, microtransactions - in game advertising. I don' t like where this is going.
< Message edited by Terrak -- 26 Sep 06 4:22:28 >
UnluckyOne

RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 26, 2006 13:09

ORIGINAL: Terrak

You live in Australia too? Did you pre order a Wii yet?

Yes I am a fellow Aussie. Havn' t pre ordered a Wii yet. I' ve got too many expensive purchases happening in November/December that I' ll have to wait until the bank account recovers. But I don' t think it' ll be too hard to pick up and I know that one of my mates is purchasing it ASAP so I' ll get to try before I buy. Nintendo probably won' t have too many shortages for their console. PS3 is currently out of the question because:

1) I' m not prepared to spend close to $AU1000 just for a console
2) Shortages are going to make it impossible to find

I' ll pick it up when it drops in price a little and increases in availability.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 26 Sep 06 5:13:21 >
Terrak

RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 26, 2006 13:26
I' m just glad its coming out before Christmas in Australia. I don' t like a March 07 launch date - like GC Australian launch which was pretty lack lustre affair.

I' ve never been disappointed with a Nintendo console yet so i have to pick one up at launch or at the very least around Christmas. I haven' t been console gaming for a long time but the Wii has really got me interested in console gaming again. Yes, a ps3 for AUS$1000 is alot, you could buy a reasonable laptop for that price. I' d imagine ps3 games going for AUS$120+. IMHO Games gotta stay below AUS$100, that should be the sweetspot.
< Message edited by Terrak -- 26 Sep 06 5:29:03 >
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 26, 2006 14:43
Ow...OUCH OUCH OUCH!

Okay, taking that' s it about US$70-85 for a PS3 game...

Since, NTSC-J PS2 games do not have English language options hence leading to retailers in S' pore to import the US (not PAL) versions...

With exchange rates, that' s about...

$140-170 per PS3 game, taking prolly some discounting along the way, that still adds up to $100+ per game in S' pore dollars...

And our currency is more or less the same standard of the US dollar when we buy stuff (like, about $7+ for a McDonald' s setmeal as reference), so that' s...

Just-plain-horrible!

Okay, okay, technically I admit most of the casual gamers over here would go over to Malaysia and buy modified and pirated games but still...

No wonder the Xbox wins over here (amongst guys. I only know one other girl who has an Xbox and likes it)! We pay half the price for Xbox games than we do PS2 games, and it' s even more so for 360 vs. PS3!

Ugh...

Btw, what' s the memory difference b/t Blu-Ray and normal DVDs, and if Assasin' s Creed, which was PS3 exclusive turned duo-platform can use the space on DVDs, what exactly is the extra space on a Blu-Ray disc for?
UnluckyOne

RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 26, 2006 16:24

ORIGINAL: Byakko

Btw, what' s the memory difference b/t Blu-Ray and normal DVDs, and if Assasin' s Creed, which was PS3 exclusive turned duo-platform can use the space on DVDs, what exactly is the extra space on a Blu-Ray disc for?

Technically it allows for higher resolution textures and other improved game assets. But you' ve got to look at the facts and the bigger picture. I' m not dissing PS3 for the sake of it. Higher resolution textures are great IF you have the RAM to store them. High resolution textures will fill up RAM extremely fast because obviously they' re a larger size. If you can' t fit the high resolution textures required to render a scene in the RAM available (only 256MB for RSX, less than the unified 512MB that X360 has available) - then what is the point? Same goes for any other processing. What good is all of this extra space if you can' t process what' s stored on it? Blu-Ray will allow for more CGI scenes but I' m still not sold on the virtues of " better textures" given the limitations of the system as a whole. Even the transfer speeds of the 2x Blu-Ray drive on the PS3 are less than the speeds of a 12x DVD drive (found on X360 and I think Wii).

Lets not forget about compression either. It' s constantly evolving. I' m still stunned at what Nintendo could fit on a 1GB mini disc. Games like metroid rivaled most games on DVD.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 26 Sep 06 8:32:07 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 26, 2006 16:34
I don' t remember ever paying an extrordinary amount for one game, probably a 64 game.

Personally this whole strategy of raising the prices of games will have a backwards effect on their profits. Any douch bag can see that if they lowered the price of the games they' d be making far more money by selling a lot more games. Movies can have a budget ten times that of a videogame and still get away with selling the things at a third the price. Then again Videogames isn' t quite as large as the movie industry (or are we?) and videogames doesn' t have the equivalent as the theater.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 26, 2006 16:56

That' s a really good question, and Unlucky has nailed it right on the head. PS3' s main memory bottleneck could cost them visually, and it' s the specific reason as to why Starbreeze Studios said that the 360 version of The Darkness would have " better" textures.

About Assassins Creed though, it' s the same for other multi-platform titles like Rainbow Six: Vegas and Splinter Cell: Double Agent. They' ll be on one disc too.

Whether Gears of War will be on one disc or not is another question...

Still, should a game prove too big for DVD9, using multiples of the format would still cost less than using Blu-Ray.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 26, 2006 23:20
I was thinking about multiple disks today. And how easily such a thing could be handled. Simply put the single player/co-op on one disk and the mulitplayer on another. Wouldn' t separating the 2 free up a shit load of space? Peole wouldn' t be able to complain too much since the single player story wouldn' t be interupted at all.

Or am I wrong?
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 26, 2006 23:23
Ofc you could do that.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 27, 2006 03:05
I can' t see why anyone could complain about multi disk games. It' s not like you are going to go through a whole game in one sitting that spans multiple disks. You' re going to have to get up at some point. Also, it' s no different than swapping a disk to play a different game. Complaining about have to change multiple disks is the definition of lazy.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 27, 2006 03:08
as long as the game boots on the second disc aswell! Damn you twin snakes
UnluckyOne

RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 27, 2006 11:39
I think everyone is well versed in multiple discs thanks to all of the Final Fantasy games on PS. It also gives bragging rights:

" You' re only on disc 1? pfft, I' m on disc 3!"
Terrak

RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 27, 2006 12:10
I think joystiq has reported that all launch games will retail for US$60. Although i wonder why they had to say ' launch games' and not ' all games' . any way here' s the link -

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/26/ps3-game-prices-at-launch-same-as-xbox-360-game-prices-at-lau/
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Sony to offset cost of cutting console price by raising game prices?! - Sep 27, 2006 12:17
You guys fantasize too much.

PS3 games will be $59.99 and it will crush X360.

Get. Over. It.

You guys are like people that try to argue that american cars are better than Japanese, you' re just making yourselves looked retarded. X360 Sucks.
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 45

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message