Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 38
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 17, 2006 10:23
http://www.the-magicbox.com/0601/game060115f.shtml

MAN look at that d-pad... OOOh baby!!

< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 17 Jan 06 18:24:19 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 17, 2006 10:41
Nice!!! Is that a blue glow coming from inside where the analog sticks are?!

If it' s based on the Dual Shock 2 though they can' t use it. It would have to be built from the ground up. Unfortunate because i like the PS2 controller!

Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 17, 2006 12:42
Final Fantasy can lick my sweaty balls. Period.

Personally I like what the Xbox360 controller did with the shoulder buttons. two triggers and two real shoulder buttons. Something for everyone. 4 shoulder buttons like the PS2 and PS1 have is just stupid. But the Xbox360 controller is the first to get the concept right. For right now Sony = Owned. We' ll see what the final design looks like. I have a feeling the boomerang isn' t the final design. But then again Sony really hates their customers judging by how they are handling all things Blu-Ray, so who knows?
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 17, 2006 13:46
Kid walks into electronics department, " Are you sold out of PS3 controllers? I can' t find them anywhere."
Employee responds, " No, those are in the assorted sports department."

or wait, here is a better one:

Kid goes to the mall. Goes to gamestop and asks where the PS3 controllers are. Employee tells him Hot Topic is on the third floor.
< Message edited by locopuyo -- 17 Jan 06 21:49:47 >
KiLLeR

• Total Posts : 314
RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 17, 2006 13:53
haha, nice loco.

I went to Future Shop (electronics store owned by Circuit City in Canada) just to take a look at the 360. Man was I happy, lol, played for half an hour there, but then I had to go cuz some kids were waiting in line and I felt bad for not wanting to let go of the controller. It really impressed me. I' m used to the S-controller so this one felt a little weird, but got used to it really quickly and it' s very comfortable and lighter than the s-controller and smaller (YESSSS). Im getting my hands on a HDTV and a 360 premium in the summer, Im gonna be working construction and I will be able to afford some expensive equipment
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 17, 2006 13:54
Wal-Mart won' t carry PS3 controllers because they are rated AO by the ESRB.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 17, 2006 19:17
Any controler since DC should have analog triggers -for racing games at least

Rev is different but if PS3 controller lacks them ,it sux
Nitro

RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 17, 2006 19:23
Well the controller was missing from CES and got a POOR reception at E3 last year, because quite frankly it was rubbish! So i assume thaty are working on it and will show it at E3 this year when they announce the stupidly high price and tell everyone that the console will miss its penned Spring 2006 launch...
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 17, 2006 21:41
The d-pad is part of Sonys iconic image for the PS brand so getting rid of it might be very dangerous. Sony without PS...
Also, lots of people actually like it so changing d-pad might cause Sony to loose lots of support. I' ve honestly become more used to their d-pad since I started playing my PSP more frequently so maybe the d-pad isn' t that bad. Maybe it just takes some time to learn how it works, just like when the first time you used an analog stick?
I hate to say this, it' s hard for me, but I like the PS d-pad more than I liked the Dreamcast d-pad. I really hated the DC d-pad:
It was almost impossible to do speciall attacks in 2D fighters.
Moving Ryo in Shenmue felt even worse thanks to it
It had so sharp edges that your thumb really ached after a couple of hours.
You didn' t know how hard you had to push it before it responded.
My d-pads barely work now, bad quality?

The Saturns d-pad beats them all. Playing Nights, Guardian Heroes, Street Fighter and other games was dreamlike. Why didn' t they just keep it for the DC version...
The Nights 3D pad would have been better for the Dreamcast.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 18 Jan 06 5:45:07 >
Nitro

RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 17, 2006 22:40
Sony' s D-Pads have always faced criticism though. They just don' t lend themselves well to 2D games, especially fighters.

Capcom are packaging a clip-on cover that makes to PSP' s D-Pad work better with SF3:-

http://media.psp.ign.com/media/748/748382/img_3251384.aspx
Terry Bogard

RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 17, 2006 22:46

I' ve honestly become more used to their d-pad since I started playing my PSP more frequently so maybe the d-pad isn' t that bad. Maybe it just takes some time to learn how it works, just like when the first time you used an analog stick?

Nope.. Been using it for years and my hatred has remained the SAME for Sony' s d-pad. I' ve had years to get used to it and I have gotten used to it and I, without question still HATE it with a fiery passion. There aren' t many things that I truly hate in this world, but Sony' s d-pad design is definitely something I hate! hate! hate! hate! :p

As much as I adore Smackdown vs. Raw on the PSP, the d-pad just kills me. It' s hard as hell to move diagonal without pressing down REALLY REALLY hard on the pad and damn near crushing the shell.

I hate to say this, it' s hard for me, but I like the PS d-pad more than I liked the Dreamcast d-pad. I really hated the DC d-pad:
It was almost impossible to do speciall attacks in 2D fighters.

I to had issues with the Dreamcast d-pad but I still found it more functional than Sony' s design.. The Dreamcast d-pad was rock hard and became a bit uncomfortable to use after extended play. Sony' s d-pad I just find completely unusable with 2D shooters, that' s why when Gradius V was release I picked up an Guilty Gear fighting pad at the same time cause I had NO plans on even attempting to suffer playing Gradius V with the Dual Shock 2.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 18 Jan 06 6:48:26 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 18, 2006 03:36

Why didn' t they just keep it for the DC version...
The Nights 3D pad would have been better for the Dreamcast.

Because Sega would be nothing without their stupid management.
Terry Bogard

RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 18, 2006 04:37

Sony' s D-Pads have always faced criticism though. They just don' t lend themselves well to 2D games, especially fighters.

2D fighters, shooters, basically any game that requires quick reflexes & precise movements.

The ONLY game and I mean the ONLY game that I found to work well for me with Dual Shock 2' s D-pad was Sega Ages: Virtua Fighter 2.
Max_chelsea

• Total Posts : 30
RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 18, 2006 05:01
The PS3 controllers do remind me off boomerangs but i think that i would rather have a PS3 one that they have stated is being released with it rather thatn that 1. It looks like all the other controllers but the new PS3 1 is different and i prefer it.

PS3 is gonna kick ass
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 18, 2006 05:07
I like the concept controller. You get a console and a deadly weapon. What more can you ask for?
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 18, 2006 05:26
.... a game?
Nitro

RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 18, 2006 05:40
The concept controller looks uncomfortable. Look at where the shoulder buttons are.

It definately won' t be the PS3' s final pad. Luckily!
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 18, 2006 07:20
The 360 pad is a work of genius. I never had a problem with the old Xbox pads but never truly liked them either. Looking back at them now it' s like they were some amateurish thrown together idea that didn' t really work.

The PS3 pad just looks plain awful. I seriously hope Sony swallows its pride for once and does something about them. A clone of the PS2 pads won' t do either; we need something a bit classier and ' better' .
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 18, 2006 08:44
I have to put my hand up and say I kinda liked the dual shocks, d-pad included! Might be because of my small hands though! (Not too fond of the circular style d-pads either) But I really hated the sensitivity of the analog sticks. They were so sensitive at the beginning of the range with huge deadzones, instead of being gradually more sensitive with as little deadzone as possible. I' ve only ever used them for steering in GT4, and that was with great difficulty! Sometimes I just had to revert to the old d-pad tapping method! :P

On the old XBox pad, those black and white buttons were just strange, so creating shoulder buttons from them was the obvious thing to do. I like that they' ve shrunk the pad a bit for my small hands. And I' ve always liked the skewed analog stick arrangement and sensitivity, the triggers and the rumble mechanism.

The only thing I dont like about the old and nu XBox controller is the face buttons. I would' ve liked them to be pressure sensitive (they' re not right?), and a more ergonomic shape so they' re more comfortable to press. At the moment they stick out too much.

But the PS3 pad is so obviously wrong. If they stick with it I' ll try it before I shun it completely, but it seems Sony' s whole approach to PS3 seems to be completely out of touch with what people want, from their dual 1080p HDTV design and overly expensive technology that does little for gameplay (or graphics from what we hear atm!), to the console and pad designs. I' m looking forward to see what changes and announcements they make at E3 this year. It' ll probably be the decider to whether I' ll be sending money their way or not this generation.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Sony, WHY can' t the PS3 controller look like this? - Jan 18, 2006 08:55

ORIGINAL: choupolo

The only thing I dont like about the old and nu XBox controller is the face buttons. I would' ve liked them to be pressure sensitive (they' re not right?), and a more ergonomic shape so they' re more comfortable to press. At the moment they stick out too much.

Both the Xbox controller and the Xbox 360 controller have pressure sensative buttons. The original Xbox controller and the Controller S weren' t very egronomic but the 360 is by far the most comfortable controller I have ever held. I sti and hold it while watching DVDs and stuff. It' s just fun to hold. It' s basically a pillow for the hands.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 38

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message