Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Oblivion - PC Developers SUCK...
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 52
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
Oblivion - PC Developers SUCK... - Mar 21, 2006 18:53
IGN has a Retail Version and so far:

-Framerate sux at times (sure it' s playable but ..)
-Loading Times 10-20s (when loading indoor enviroments,walking into some area with different grass and so on)
-Visible Low-Res objects in the distance.

All those problems appear on 360 - PC has shorter loading times (and less of those) and less framerate drops.

360 is the only platform that can have HDR+AA at the same time.

That' s why I hate those lazy worthless PC Devs (except Blizzard and Valve)
< Message edited by ]Gangsta[ -- 22 Mar 06 16:13:32 >
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 21, 2006 19:06
If you knew half the crap that these guys went through working on this game you wouldn' t be so critical of them. I have friend that I go to school with that is friends with one of the lead modelers for the game and is currently staying with him at GDC. He has full access to everything about the game. He' s told me plenty of stories about how much trouble they had making the game. You have to realize this is the biggest game ever created thus far in gaming history. 16 square miled of extremely detailed enviroments, radiant AI, thousands of NPCs, incredible graphics... I could go on and one. Having occasional frame rate problems don' t bother me all that bad expecially since they mainly happen while riding a horse and not as much when you are walking around like normal.

Loading times are expected since the had to make the game work without the HD so you can' t critisize them for that. That' s microsoft' s fault, not Bethsesda' s. Anybody that played Morrowind won' t be bothered by this much since we dealt with longer loading times with that game.

The low rez objects were pretty much expected as well. With 16 square miles of island to explore there' s a lot that has to be rendered in that game. They needed try to cut back on what was rendered as much as possible. For the most part large landmarks such as cities or temples are made to be seen from great distances while other things won' t be rendered that are the same distance away from you.

Oh, and the PC verion only has less of those problems if you are playing on the most beastly computers that re out such as a top of the line alienware with all the extras. The PC version is the port of the 360 version. Remember that.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 21, 2006 19:18
Ohh the ign reviews says it stutters when loading new grass, no 20 second loading!
]GaNgStA[

RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 21, 2006 20:13

Ohh the ign reviews says it stutters when loading new grass, no 20 second loading!

I said that loadings are 10-20s and in many deifferent situations - I didn' t say it loads grass for 20s - at least that wasn' t my intention :)

Oh, and the PC verion only has less of those problems if you are playing on the most beastly computers

That' s no excuse - a BEAST PC still can' t achieve performance of 360.

There are games on PS2 (Dragon Quest VIII) that have no loadtimes so I don' t understand how can it be a problem for 360 (yeah even with a great view distance).And I' m sure that DQ8 is at least as tough for PS2 to run (it' s a shitty system after all) as Oblivion is for 360.

I know it' s hard , but it' s not impossible.Maybe it is for PC devs -especially making PC games for consoles.Japanese guys could pull it off and they wouldn' t even start making it untill they were sure it' s possible.

Quake 4 same story (framerate).IT' s not the hardware.Hell no.

Having said that I still consider it to be one of the best games for 360 -it' s just dissapointing.

At least we now know that the best version is the PC version ...
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 21 Mar 06 12:19:40 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 21, 2006 20:45
Loading times may suck, but as long as you realise that pretty much ALL PS3 games will have loading times like this because of Blu-Ray...

I' m not that bothered about 20 second loading times, ...it sucks but it can' t be helped in some situations. It' s a 1st generation title and isn' t using 360' s full potential by far. My guess is that they just weren' t able to figure out ho best to utilize the three processors together properly.

Quake 4 same story (framerate).IT' s not the hardware.Hell no.

A messy rushed port. It was rushed for launch and they did a poor job of it. It' s crap anyway!

That' s no excuse - a BEAST PC still can' t achieve performance of 360.

True. It' ll be another 12 months at least and some new technology before PC' s catch up with what 360 can ACTUALLY do.

I' ll be able to see for myself on Friday morning, but i want to spend some time underground in the dungeons so i may not see these problems until later in the weekend!
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 21, 2006 21:35
Im watching the finale hour of greg broadcasting OB live in his 12 hour marathon on a 360,ITS BEEN FUCKING AMAZING,TRUST ME.
I NEED THIS GAME SO MUCH NOW!!!!
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 21, 2006 22:47
Still not sure which version to get... It' s a choice between paying £25 or £40, but I naturally assumed it would end up running smoother on the 360 than on my PC (which only just makes the rec. specs)

Perhaps the OB guys at Bethesda havent got the hang of multicore coding yet, but there' s no such excuse for not getting at least twice the power out of the Xenos chip than my 6800gt!
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 21, 2006 22:52
360 footage is enough to make me want this game, and I havent played any others in the series yet...

http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/2938/Gameplay-Collage/

It' s so early in the consoles lifecycle, yet titles of quality are now appearing it' s great. I' d never traditionally play a game like GRAW and I absolutely love it, maybe this will be the case too. Looks like a great first 360 attempt to me.

I' ve got a similar spec PC to yours choupolo, but I' ll buy the 360 version simpl because its more immersive on such a large screen and others can get involved even if they arn' t actually playing
< Message edited by jtypecav -- 21 Mar 06 14:57:02 >
QuezcatoL

RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 22, 2006 00:18
Loading time has been great,and not any 20 sec,atgleast not from when GREG played OB.
I watched it,i know :)
Also the 360 graphic was just awesome,im getting this baby :)
]GaNgStA[

RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 22, 2006 01:20
no doubts - it' s amazing , but could' ve been much more polished.I' m a consumer - it' s not my job to make up excuses for developers.I never had to make excuses for Japanese devs and I' m used to high production values and polished games.
Vx Chemical

RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 22, 2006 01:56

no doubts - it' s amazing , but could' ve been much more polished.I' m a consumer - it' s not my job to make up excuses for developers.I never had to make excuses for Japanese devs and I' m used to high production values and polished games.

Should we make a list of poor jap games?

this is poor generalisation and you hopefully know it!
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 22, 2006 03:25
Gangsta, I understand where you' re coming from, but I think you should wait to pass judgement on the game until you play through it. Then the choices that the developers made may not seem like such a big deal to you.

I mean, a 20 second load time seems like a lot, but how long do you play in each section before you have to experience that 20 seconds? What if you played for a half hour before getting to a new zone? I don' t think that' s unreasonable. Now if it was every 5 minutes, that would NOT be acceptable.

I' m just sayin' ...
QuezcatoL

RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 22, 2006 03:39
I never saw a 20 sec loading time,i saw like 5 when entering Oblivion or reloading when greg died.
Nitro

RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 22, 2006 04:13
Lets clear this up.

The article Gangsta is referring to is available here...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/697/697211p1.aspx

...and WHAT he' s referring to is...

Though we experienced some odd loading issues when first starting out on the X360, we thereafter had no problem running through environments and hot-swapping weapons. The game does major loading sequences at town doors and entrances to larger areas, which seem to last between 10 and 30 seconds. While running through open wilderness and fields, the game will briefly pause to load in new grass. On the Xbox 360, these minor outdoor loading sequences mean the game will stutter for a split second. On the PC, this stutter wasn' t so apparent.

In populated areas or environments with large amounts of geometry, the framerate definitely drops off. However, at no point does it become unplayable, it' s just not as smooth as lurking around underground dungeons. Regardless of framerate, Oblivion is so far displaying some of the best visuals on the Xbox 360. Even with the low resolution textures in the extreme backgrounds, the sheer amount of visible land when wandering outside is a sight to behold. While trekking across Cyrodiil' s fields it' s impossible not to notice object pop-up. It happens frequently, with grass and smaller objects appearing at a distinct radius around your character. Like the sometimes sluggish framerates, this in no way diminishes the playability of the game.

So it' s NOT a problem and the majority WON' T be bothered whatsoever. It' s fair to say that the 360 version will be superior to all but the few gamers who have top end PC' s, and it' ll still LOOK nicer on 360 in places then.

Friday can' t come quickly enough!

]GaNgStA[

RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 22, 2006 06:35

I understand where you' re coming from, but I think you should wait to pass judgement on the game until you play through it. Then the choices that the developers made may not seem like such a big deal to you.

Yeah you' re right - sometimes games have so much valuable content that it justifies some issues.However there' s one thing I can' t forgive those loosers - that they did it right for PC.

Vx - it' s a pretty common statement that japanese Studios make much more polished games than both US and EU devs.

Sure you can say " hey I saw a bad japanese game!!" - but you haven' t seen any title from US or EU as polished as the best Japanese titles.

Is saying that Apple controls 85% of the music industry a generalisation or just a fact?

Same goes for Quality of games - check gamerankings.com and you' ll see who has the top 10 games - JAPAN.
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 21 Mar 06 22:38:50 >
Nitro

RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 22, 2006 06:57

you haven' t seen any title from US or EU as polished as the best Japanese titles.

Chaos Theory on Xbox for one!

As for quality Japanese games, ...it' s the underrated but excetionally cool games that always interest me.

For example...

Phantom Dust

Otogi and it' s sequel

Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 22, 2006 08:32

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

you haven' t seen any title from US or EU as polished as the best Japanese titles.

Chaos Theory on Xbox for one!

You are now one of the coolest people here.
Nitro

RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 22, 2006 10:36
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 22, 2006 18:06
hahaha Rampage made me chuckle! Get a vote from me for that too Majik!

I think that saying one terirories polish is greater than anothers is waaaay too sweeping a generalisation, which maybe stood up a couple generations ago, style of presentation is different - but I' d say most are of the same quality, if not style!
Vx Chemical

RE: Oblivion - PC Developes SUCK... - Mar 22, 2006 18:24
I think Gangsta has some " fetisch" with the japaneese developers, ohh and all PC developers suck as well. So the only games worth playing are Japaneese console games? ohh wait Japaneese dont play PC games.

I still think its poor generalisation, and people in love tend to look past faults and issues.

Nanananananaa Gangsta is inlove with the Japaneeeseee' s

Look at the silly monkey.. look at it!!

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 52

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message