Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 51
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 12, 2007 16:49
We can finally get this pathetic topic out of the way for good. Its been argued countless times in this forum it' s time to put it to rest.

David Jaffe, Sony poster boy, Sony employee and unfortunately one of the most influential voices in the gaming industry, when asked in GameTrailers' Bonus Round to play hypothetical PS3 hardware designer said...

" I probably would have taken the Blu-ray out and sold it for less money."

LINK

He goes on to talk about exploring the possibility of setting up an independent studio. I don' t like the guy but it' s an interesting read.
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 12, 2007 17:23
I disagree.

Topic still on.
< Message edited by dionysius -- 12 Apr 07 9:23:32 >
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 12, 2007 17:44
You disagree with? Nitro disliking Jaffe or what he said?

My opinion is straight on with Nitro I' m not a Jaffe fanboy
Dionysius

RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 12, 2007 18:17
Yeah. I thought the " Topic still on" part woulld indicate that I was talking about the " I probably would have taken the Blu-ray out and sold it for less money" quote.

About Jaffe... I don' t care enough about him to like/dislike the person.
< Message edited by dionysius -- 12 Apr 07 10:18:20 >
Nitro

RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 12, 2007 18:49
Blu-Ray has not and will not be proven to be necessary in this generation.

I' m sure one or two of the best developers will use the additional space well enough for the difference to be noticeable in some area but there' s a huge difference between " yeah it' s nice to have more space to work with" and " without Blu-Ray this would be impossible"

Now part of this is Jaffe wanting to be seen as an outspoken industry figurehead like Mark Rein, not afraid to " speak his mind" or some other bullshit, but that doesn' t stop his comments from being 100% correct.

Sony' s decision to force Blu-Ray was a gross mistake and it' s impact on the price point of the machine can be directly tied to it' s slow adoption rate.

Every time this topic has being argued somebody has come to say " well so and so says it' s needed" , and that so and so has always been some moron developer working on a PS3 game (Ted Price comes to mind). But now, Jaffe, who' s probably Sony' s most important western game development figure has said that he wouldn' t have included the Blu-Ray drive and he' s on the Sony payroll. All arguments substantiated by opinions of 2nd party developers and 3rd parties working on exclusive games for the platform should be considered null and void. This now has to come down to what has been proven so far, and that is nothing.
Dionysius

RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 12, 2007 19:10
Not speaking for Sony or as a student of Game Deisgn, and from a personal opinion as a consumer, I can' t help but be glad I got a Blue-Ray player with my Ps3. That way I don' t need to buy a standalone blue-ray player, nor a DVD (since I can' t stand the 360 one and the Wii doesn' t include one).

As for the price " Yeah, it was expensive, but it was my choice and my choice only, to starve for a month (not litterally).
Nitro

RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 12, 2007 19:21
There' s a difference between being glad it' s in there and thinking it was a necessary component.

You' re talking about it form a movie playing perspective and i' m talking about it from a game development perspective. It isn' t needed, or at the very least hasn' t been proven to be needed any way whatsoever so far. Sure that could change but i don' t know what kind of games you think will justify the inclusion of the technology.

I was a tactical decision designed to maximize Blu-Ray adoption, something which is more important to Sony than being the gaming market leader. The price of the console is the biggest factor in it' s less than satisfactory sales worldwide and Blu-Ray is the reason the console costs $100 more than it needed to.

Not everybody is interested in next-gen DVD formats. Most people that but games consoles buy them for the games, and i think it' s safe to say that Blu-Ray isn' t " needed" in that context.

Dionysius

RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 12, 2007 19:37

There' s a difference between being glad it' s in there and thinking it was a necessary component.

Hence the " personal opinion"

As far as gaming goes, the only example I can yhink of is Blue Dragon, which is put on multiple discs due to the HD Prerendered CG cutscenes. And even if it is debateable wether CG is needed nowadays, much less in HD, and that many like changing discs, I think there is no minus for having the technology to allow it possible.

Once again it is a personal opinion.

I don' t feel I can get inside the head of other consumers or the staff of Sony to say what they where thinking, but ONE guess is that they want to make money, not only from the games but the Blue-Ray format, when they win the war. Thus struggling now, only to have it easier in the future... Provided that they win.

Also, they might just have ignorant.
< Message edited by dionysius -- 12 Apr 07 11:55:21 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 12, 2007 20:02
Dino are you retarded irl,why do people not buy the ps3.
Because of the blu-ray,most people doesn' t haver 1080p tv' s at home,perhaps in 5-6 years they will.

I love how this moron rant about BD having 3 disch,you swap every 17th hour,if you think that is something negative you' re fucking retarded.
Are you that fat dino,that you cant bend your ass every 17 hour?
CGI is used in Jap JRPG,how often do you see them in other games?

At ps3 i need to do a firmupdate every fucking time that pice of shit starts.

Eternal Sonata,Lost odyssey,Enchanted arms,Mass effect these rpg' s Dino refuse to talk about,why because they probably won' t have tons of CGI.
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 12 Apr 07 12:34:35 >
Dionysius

RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 12, 2007 20:41
Hey, my favorite retard is back. I think it' s funny how you have so little friends that you actually manage to get angry over something somebody says in a forum, and also how you manage to interpret all things I say to something you want me to say, just so you get the excuse to act like the retard you are.

Seriously dude, did I ever mention anything about why the Ps3 sales are bad?
I have a few ideas as to why, but I didn' t bring them up.

Also, I did not rant about the game you luv SOOO much, you can honeslty convince you don' t even need a girlfriend. I merely used it as an example, where the Blue Ray could be put to use, and I only said that it isn' t a bad thing that if it is possible to use Blue-Ray, in order not to use multiple discs, that you actually can use it in order not to do so(long weird sentence ).

As to your latest update. When have I refused talking about them?

Lastly, I just can' t see why you keep acting like a fourteen year old. You know it isn' t cool, to pretend to be cool on forums.

BTW: I' m 183 cm tall and weigh 64 kilos of only muscles. I think you can do the math... Actually I don' t think you can.

Oh, and in contrary to what I said about you acting like a fourteen year old, I actually don' t want you to stop doing so. It' s actually kind of fun.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 13, 2007 00:05

I don' t feel I can get inside the head of other consumers or the staff of Sony to say what they where thinking, but ONE guess is that they want to make money, not only from the games but the Blue-Ray format, when they win the war. Thus struggling now, only to have it easier in the future... Provided that they win.

I have most of my chips on Blu-Ray right now, (in the format war that is) and very few on the PS3.

Gaming has taken a backseat in Sony' s strategy this generation. Listen to anybody doing Sony PR these days. You don' t hear about the wealth of new titles hitting the market. You hear about them trying to outdo Xbox-Live, and about the multimedia features of the PS3.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 13, 2007 00:12

BTW: I' m 183 cm tall and weigh 64 kilos of only muscles. I think you can do the math... Actually I don' t think you can.

Im american and i dont fell like doing math, so thats what?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 13, 2007 00:38
6 feet tall & 140 lbs? Dude, you' re a stick.
Dionysius

RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 13, 2007 01:26

m american and i dont fell like doing math, so thats what?

It' s so good, it' s just a little bit bad.

6 feet tall & 140 lbs? Dude, you' re a stick.

A very strongstick, that won' t easily break. Though I' m currently working hard on gaining weight.
< Message edited by dionysius -- 12 Apr 07 17:29:32 >
Nitro

RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 13, 2007 01:50
I could break you. In two.

Dionysius

RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 13, 2007 02:09
That.... That was mean! [:' (]
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 13, 2007 02:13
[quoteAs far as gaming goes, the only example I can yhink of is Blue Dragon, which is put on multiple discs due to the HD Prerendered CG cutscenes. And even if it is debateable wether CG is needed nowadays, much less in HD, and that many like changing discs, I think there is no minus for having the technology to allow it possible. ]
The reason Japanese devs insist on using CGs is due to the fact that in history they could never make (in most cases) a decent engine that could present a cutscene that looked good.

As for BluRay, no its not needed for games. It may or may not be needed for movies, but if it is the winner, I will buy a PS3 just for BluRay and the 1 or 2 good exlusives Sony has left.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 13, 2007 03:27

Because of the blu-ray,most people doesn' t haver 1080p tv' s at home,perhaps in 5-6 years they will.

Actually, it will be half that. The badass HDTV' s are coming within the next 6-12 months, and when they do, the whole lot of HDTV' s we currently have available are going to drop in price. Also, with the push for HD from almost every kind of media(at least in NA), consumers are going to feel the need to purchase one.

At ps3 i need to do a firmupdate every fucking time that pice of shit starts.

Well, the first problem here is that you don' t own a PS3, so you would have no firsthand knowledge of that. Second, there have been 4(maybe 5) updates since I got my ps3 on November 17, so unless someone was to turn on their ps3 only once a month, there is no way that could be true.

I love how this moron rant about BD having 3 disch,you swap every 17th hour,if you think that is something negative you' re fucking retarded.

Many of my friends have talked about this, and while it is true that it isn' t much of a hassle to change discs every 10+ hours of gameplay, it isn' t ideal to be sure. FF7 is the greatest example for me. If I wanted to go back to an older saved game, I had to figure out what disc was for it, then sort through a bunch of discs and get the right one. If you have a roomate or sibling that also plays the same game and is at a different stage in the game, it gets that much more annoying. All in all, its not a huge deal to switch discs, but only a moron would say that it isn' t a " negative" as you say.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 13, 2007 04:09

Im american and i dont fell like doing math, so thats what?

You gotta use the Google calculator, man! Go to Google and type in anything like " 182 cm to feet" or " 584 ounces to pounds" or " 38 kilometers to miles."
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Jaffe wouldn' t have used Blu-Ray - Apr 13, 2007 05:00

That only accounts for the bones, no skin anywhere there. im 185, when i weighed 78kg i was quite skinny. Now im a fatso though, having a job, a GF and a kid leaves little spare time, though iv started running again! 64 KG would render me dead though!
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 51

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message