Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Itagaki' s Protégé gives first in-depth NG∑ interview
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 30 of 30
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Itagaki' s Protégé gives first in-depth NG∑ interview - Oct 31, 2006 04:58

ORIGINAL: uumai

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

Why is games like CoD3 looks better n 360 then ps3???

I think someone missed the letter to console fanboys...

Actually Uumai, if you check IGN' s podcast, the guy said that he was a bit sceptical
(sp?) as to why the multi format games like Cod3 actually looked better on 360.

He credited it to Sony' s perserverence for shooting for 1080p.

In a way, Quez is right.

But Quez, it is a Ninja Gaiden Sigma thread by the way.
Hidemoto

• Total Posts : 311
RE: Itagaki' s Protégé gives first in-depth NG∑ interview - Oct 31, 2006 06:01
OMG...is that Tiz?

where have you been man? hardly see you lately...
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Itagaki' s Protégé gives first in-depth NG∑ interview - Oct 31, 2006 06:49

ORIGINAL: Hidemoto

OMG...is that Tiz?

where have you been man? hardly see you lately...

I have become a compulsive reader, but I couldn' t resist talking about Sigma.

I have also got a lot of stuff to do as well, and I am trying to complete all my
forgotten games before the holiday season hits as I would have too many to
complete!

I try to post here and there, but I am just waiting for a few new topics, and
hopefully when Gear is released the forum should be bustling with info and
great discussions.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Itagaki' s Protégé gives first in-depth NG∑ interview - Oct 31, 2006 06:56
Tiz, my friend, I know that currently 3rd party (multiformat) games are looking better on 360. Honestly it' s what I expect at this point in time, it might be news a year or so down the line, but it' s barely an issue either way.

The reason i said what I said is as you kinda pointed out. Coming into a thread about a game, to flame the graphic/port of the console the thread is aimed at.

Why post in the thread if you have nothing useful to say on the topic, trolling/flaming/ random crap just to increase post count and get all l337 should be included in the open letter to console fanboys.

Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Itagaki' s Protégé gives first in-depth NG∑ interview - Oct 31, 2006 07:00
The PS3 version of CoD3 isn' t 1080p. The reason it looks better on 360, and the only reason, is that the engine was made for PC architecture. 360 is very much more lke a PC than PS3, ...PS3' s achitecture is exotic in comparison and it makes porting engines built for PC' s very difficult. You' d have to emulate some parts of the hardware, or completely re-write parts of the code to even get it running at all. On 360 it' s much easier, and then made even easier still because of XNA.

UE3.0 doesn' t like PS3, although i' m sure Epic will work something out, but even games like FEAR and CoD3 don' t look as good, even if there aren' t huge differences.

What PS3 needs is games built from the ground up, just for that platform. There you will see the better looking games but then you' ll only be able to compare them to gaes built from the ground up for 360, like say Gears of War and Mass Effect.

Either way, PS3 is capable of great things, just like 360 and direct comparisons of multi-platform games isn' t going to get you anywhere because some things, like VT3 which has been built for PS3 and 360 separately by different studios, will look better one way or the other. It' s daft to even think about it.

Motorstorm look waaaaay better than any 360 racing game, but Gears of War looks waaaaay better than every shooter/action game on PS3 that we' ve seen so far. Can the two be compared? No, obviously not, but you have one game on PS3 that looks better than any game of the same genre on 360, and you have a game on 360 that looks better than any game of the same genre on PS3.

When you go even further, you have Rainbow Six on 360 that will look better on 360, but you have a PS3 version that will probably look better than the 360 version of GRAW - one of the best looking games so far on the system...

Does it matter? Really? I dont think so.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma upon it' s release will be one of the nicest looking next gen games. On any system. Period. It' ll look better than most 360 stuff and most PS3 stuff. Enough said.
Gaiden BLACK

• Total Posts : 675
RE: Itagaki' s Protégé gives first in-depth NG∑ interview - Oct 31, 2006 07:15
Down to the Developer
Nitro

RE: Itagaki' s Protégé gives first in-depth NG∑ interview - Oct 31, 2006 07:16

ORIGINAL: Gaiden BLACK

Down to the Developer

Not exactly.
Gaiden BLACK

• Total Posts : 675
RE: Itagaki' s Protégé gives first in-depth NG∑ interview - Oct 31, 2006 07:18
Yes it is when it comes to ps3 and 360 it is down to the developer.
Nitro

RE: Itagaki' s Protégé gives first in-depth NG∑ interview - Oct 31, 2006 07:53
No, not exactly. It' s a combintion of developer, developer experience and western/eastern technologies.

Japanese developers are very different in many respects to their western counterparts. Japanese developers don' t work very well with western technology, take Namco' s for example, a studio with a history of creating stunning 60fps games - they aquired Unreal Engine 3.0, didn' t know how to use it or how to code for something like 360 and fucked it up completely. Frame City Killer look dreadful, wasn' t recieved very well and was thus cancelled.

Games like Bullet Witch, Tenchu, Kengo Zero and Zegapain look nowhere near as good as other 360 titles and it' s because they don' t know how to code for that kind of architecture. On PS3 they would fare much better because the architecture has been Japanese developed.

Western developers are finding PS3 tricky to code for because it' s vastly different to what they are used to, and while there are exceptions, like Motorsorm, they are few and far between. UE3.0 by all accounts works extremely well on 360 and not very well at all on PS3. It' s a western engine and has been developed with western architecture in mind. The games that use it on 360 will undoubtedly look " nicer" than the game that use it on PS3, even if it' s the same developer, ...Ubisoft for example.

Japanese developers will adapt to PS3' s architecture much quicker than 360' s and people like Kojima will work absolute wonders.

What everybody here knows is that Japanese developers in general, don' t worry about the kind of things (realtime light sourcing, self shadowing, advanced physics and AI, advanced texture mapping [like say cube mapping for water] and engine scalability) western developer spends much effort on. Japanese games are much more stylistic and make use of motion blur and filters more than western games. The differences in some respects are huge.

Capcom is starting to adopt the western engine idiology of being able to recye the engine and recycle the code for multiple games. DMC4, Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Monster Hunter and RE5 will all use the same engine and Capcom' s development costs will be significantly reduced as a result. They may even licence their engine like western developers licence theirs.

Western developers that have direct development input form Sony will end up with better games than those that dont, and Japanese dvelopers that have input from Microsoft (or in the case of Lost Odyssey - Epic) will end up with better results than thse who don' t. It' s not that hard to understand.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 30 of 30

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message