Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3...
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 46
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 14:41
WOW
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 17:17
I' m almost speechless. It looks fantastic!

Oh, and if you hop over to the official website there' s a 400MB video for download. Just folliw the link...

http://www.cellfactorgame.com/

Is this a 360 exclusive (console) ??!!
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 17:22
WOW

It looks super cool!
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 17:56
Fantastic video, Looks like a lot of fun
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 18:47
this is Ageia physics, and it shows the new device' s power called PPU (physical processing unit)... so what' s that has to do with 360? well i think 360 had the power to make stuff like that but i also know that ageia has a stront relation with ps3.
and if 360 can do that (which i think it can) , then i think ps3 can do even better.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 19:29

this is Ageia physics, and it shows the new device' s power called PPU (physical processing unit)... so what' s that has to do with 360?

Alright, alright... Why can' t both just get along? We' re only saying it can match
the PS3 physics, and so far this trailer only lingers in the XBOX 360 and
PC section.

but i also know that ageia has a stront relation with ps3.

Then shouldnt this be showcased as PS3 physics aswell? But I' m pretty sure its
PC and 360 specific according to Gametrailers.

and if 360 can do that (which i think it can) , then i think ps3 can do even better.

There' s no denying that PS3 can probably do better, but potential counts for
nothing till it is realised. So far this demo looks more impressive than a couple
of ducks dropping into a bath tub. But, I will wait for the PS3 to come out before I
make a decision.

And was it just me, but in the top left corner of all the PS3 demos, did any1
notice the framerate drop as more and more ducks plotted on the screen?

I don' t have a link, but I' m pretty sure it was one of Majik' s links I saw it in.
< Message edited by Tiz -- 7 Apr 06 11:30:11 >
Nitro

RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 20:39

ORIGINAL: Abasoufiane

this is Ageia physics, and it shows the new device' s power called PPU (physical processing unit)... so what' s that has to do with 360? well i think 360 had the power to make stuff like that but i also know that ageia has a stront relation with ps3.

Actually it' s not. It' s the Ageia Physics ENGINE (PhysX) in action, not the PPU, and PhysX is used in Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter already.

PhysX is also intergrated into the Unreal Engine 3.0, ...and engine that' s being used for a LOT of 360 games.

Regardless of what you may THINK PS3 will be able to do with this stuff DirectX 10 will render this obsolete, and since Sony won' t have access to DirectX 10, you' re personal thoughts about PS3 being able to handle physics more efficiently than 360 is completely baseless!

What does it have to do with 360?!

Well if you go to the official website, you' ll see that they are supporting 360 as well as PS3. They offered Sony didicated support for PS3 because Microsoft are shipping XNA with DX10 and since DX10 is said to be far superior to this stuff, it would make sense to get a contract from Sony and not Microsoft.

http://ageia.vnewscenter.com/press.jsp?id=1137422973228
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 7 Apr 06 13:21:02 >
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 20:54
That vid' s ace. It' s basically the same as what we' ve seen already with Havok but on a much larger scale!

The title is ' cellfactor' so I' m assuming it was meant to refer to PS3' s cell cpu in some way. I remember last year, they were saying the 360 may not be able to do ageia' s full-on fluid effects, but they later withdrew the statement saying it was just based on figures and not officially tested. Tbh the blood physics do still need a bit of work in the cellfactor video, but everything else was great. The best fluid effects I' ve seen so far have to be on that GDC Motorstorm demo with all the mud flying about. That was cool.

But some of the Ageia guys are actually from 3dfx who helped pioneer the advent of gfx cards too! So I can' t wait till they release their PhysX card and games start using it. Afaik, it' s only been Bet on Soldier so far (which was rubbish) and Ghost Recon on PC will be supporting it so it' d be interesting to see some vids of that.
Nitro

RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 21:03

The title is ' cellfactor' so I' m assuming it was meant to refer to PS3' s cell cpu in some way

The game is not coming out for PS3. It has NOTHING to do with Sony' s machine whatsoever. While it may end up on their console somewhere down the line, it hasn' t been announced for it, only for PC and 360 so far.

Can we stop with random baseless speculation please?!

The best fluid effects I' ve seen so far have to be on that GDC Motorstorm demo with all the mud flying about. That was cool

The MotorStorm demo was terrible when you take everything into account. The grooves left in the dirt were very cool, but the mud was unrealistic and wasn' t very impressive at all.

< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 7 Apr 06 13:04:33 >
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 21:23
The mud was particle effects or sprites from what I heard for Motorstorm from some people that saw it. The deforming ground was just a parallax map... nothing new or impressive about a parallax map.It' s just another form of bump mapping that basically changes in real time. Motorstorm is a huge dissapointment from all the people that went (to GDC) who I know.
Tiz

RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 21:29

The title is ' cellfactor' so I' m assuming it was meant to refer to PS3' s cell cpu in some way

So I suppose splinter CELL has alot to do with PS3' s Cell processor?

This the kinda propaganda that allows SOny to get away with mass murder!
Think of the deers!!!

The best fluid effects I' ve seen so far have to be on that GDC Motorstorm demo with all the mud flying about. That was cool

They didnt look very good, but, you guys have got to think, if they were
passing of last year' s E3 trailer as in-game..... Why are you guys not disappointed?
All I hear is
" Wow that looks amazing" When it clearly doesnt look anything at all like Sony
promised. This is why I prefer 360, I know what I' m getting!

Humph! Yes I am having a b!tch fit.
Nitro

RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 21:43

This the kinda propaganda that allows SOny to get away with mass murder!
Think of the deers!!!

He has a Killzone avatar. Didn' t Sony try to make a Halo-killer once-upon-a-time that was called Killzone?!

But seriously, he' s cool and he' s entitled to his opinion, as everyone is. He' s simply reading WAY too much into the games name. Like i said, it' s only been nnounced for PC and 360 so far, ...that should say enough!

The mud was particle effects or sprites from what I heard for Motorstorm from some people that saw it. The deforming ground was just a parallax map... nothing new or impressive about a parallax map

Agreed, ...even Revolution will be able to do that kind of thing.

I don' t get why people are still claiming that PS3 will " do this" and " be more powerful than" when they haven' t seen anything yet that can validate such claims. I mean, MGS4 looked amazing but people seem to forget that it was only a cutscene.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 22:36
But thats the thing i' m not really interested in what hyped up video with super graphics sony has to offer until their final system hits the shops, so until then all of these statements about how much better than the 360 it would be is just speculation. Anyway how do we know if much of what sony shows for the ps3 isn' t pre-rendered and not actually in game footage?. (ok i' m done) And by the way does anyone know if the ps3 have any games for launch yet?.

Ps that video does look really awesome though.
choupolo

RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 22:39
Oops, yea I didn' t mean my last post to sound so pro-PS3, heh. I just noticed that one unfounded tenuous link between cell and cell and thought I' d point it out.

And I only saw the blurred GDC footage of Motorstorm, but it did look good for sprites imho. I assumed they were showing off physics, but my bad. Yep so just ignore my Motorstorm comment too!

Oh but I did read somewhere that that Cellfactor vid was running on the Ageia PPU, so I guess it' s not really a demo for 360 or PS3.. (might be wrong tho!)

http://artificialstudios.com/news.php
< Message edited by choupolo -- 7 Apr 06 14:47:26 >
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 23:01

Oh but I did read somewhere that that Cellfactor vid was running on the Ageia PPU, so I guess it' s not really a demo for 360 or PS3..

that' s exactly what i' ve read somewhere a couple of weeks ago about this very video, they said it' s to show off the PPU...

i rather think you' re microsoft biased, yes i did notice teh framerate drop from 60fps to 40 fps or even lower i can' t remember...

if xbox360 did that duck demo and somebody say: it sucks because the framerate drops... boo (that' s what you implied i guess from your comment) then i' m sure you will reply to that guy " may be it' s not optimized yet" and it is not optimized yet..

however when that demo has to do with ps3, then you thought your little comment would be enough.

Regardless of what you may THINK PS3 will be able to do with this stuff DirectX 10 will render this obsolete, and since Sony won' t have access to DirectX 10, you' re personal thoughts about PS3 being able to handle physics more efficiently than 360 is completely baseless!

i know this is all speculation, but i don' t think that sony and IBM wasted all this time and money to offer something that is already achieved and surpassed (in 360)... common sens says no... and if directx 10 is better in handling physics, sony will make up something, they already have the power in hardware , making softwares that will use the CELL efficiently is just a matter of time.

about my coment :

i was just responding to the title of the thread.
Nitro

RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 07, 2006 23:12
Ok, since PS3 isn' t all that relevant in here, you guys should go check out my PS3 thread (just posted). I' d be very interested to get some comments...

Tiz

RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 08, 2006 00:18

Again, just speculation as everyone seems to like to categorize it as. Just
something I noticed, didnt mean to offend in anyway. But, at the same time
everyone is entitled to their own opinion as Majik says.

i rather think you' re microsoft biased, yes i did notice teh framerate drop from 60fps to 40 fps or even lower i can' t remember...

if xbox360 did that duck demo and somebody say: it sucks because the framerate drops... boo (that' s what you implied i guess from your comment) then i' m sure you will reply to that guy " may be it' s not optimized yet" and it is not optimized yet..

To be honest I am not biased, the tech demos Microsoft released at Xna, (the car
the woman, the realtime creature changing) That didnt really impress me

(Well, maybe the car did.) The point is they weren' t doing much. Noticebally in
PS3 tech demo' s there was a whole lot more deception; but thats just from
my experience with Sony.

Does anyone remember the demo of Alfred Molina? (Doc Oc from Spider Man 2)
They showed how they could get detail in the face, everyone was amazed,#
you probably would have noticed in that demo that there was f*ck all going on in
the back ground. I make this point because if any of you remember the Shenmue
passport (where the characters are giving tutorials on QTE, free battle etc.)
Did you notice the extreme level of details in their faces? Where you could control
the light and the camera?? That' s using the Dreamcasts in-game engine, and those faces alone look better than some character faces I see 5 years down the line; but the background had pants detail in it.

I' m just basing my responses on experience with both companies.

Alas, let' s forego the ancient talks of Sony vs. Microsoft.

started again in oblivion....
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 08, 2006 02:31
No matter how you look at it ,this trailer is no argument in 360 vs PS3 performance.

360 is capable of a lot of nice things and we haven' t really seen anything " real" (meaning gameplay of at least nearly finished software) from Sony at that point.

Like most industry observers say - this time it' s all about developers , cause hardware (if really that powerfull on PS3 side) differences aren' t that signifficant anymore.

When you talk about mud effect in Motorsport you shouldn' t be talking about how old the technology is - IGN wrote that it looked great and totally nextgen (even though they were dissapointed in overall presentation).

It' s how you use technology that matters.I don' t care if it can be achieved on PC , cause it wasn' t.

It' s another great thing about top console studios - they can do much more than PC devs on the same hardware.
choupolo

RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 08, 2006 02:57
You' re right about old tech. If you can make sprites and 2d animation look good enough for the task on the cheap, what' s the point of using more expensive advanced fluid dynamics algorithms to do it.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 7 Apr 06 18:57:53 >
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: For anyone that thought the 360' s physics wouldn' t match the PS3... - Apr 08, 2006 03:06
Exactly.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 46

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread