Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 29
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 08, 2008 18:17
Dean Takahashi has just published an extensive article about the factors leading up to the incredible failure rate of Xbox 360 consoles. 

But the evidence for the quality debacle was there to see evenbefore Microsoft shipped any machines. In August, 2005, as Microsoftwas gearing up production, an engineer raised a hand and said, “Stop.You have to shut down the line.” This wasn’t just a brief moment. Theengineer spoke up repeatedly.
That engineer, who asked not to be identified, had deep experiencein manufacturing. When production results were really off kilter,stopping a line and tracing a problem back to its roots was the answer.But the higher-ranking engineers, managers and executives chose to riskgoing forward. There wasn’t a universal backlash from the engineeringranks, according to one engineering source.
Nobody listened to that engineer — who spoke on condition ofanonymity — apparently because console launches are always hurriedaffairs. Yields — the percentage of working products in a given batchof total products produced — generally start low. As the manufacturersconduct statistical analysis and tight controls on every step inassembly, they learn how to drive the yields up.
Still, the picture wasn’t pretty. The defect rate for the machineswas an abysmal 68 percent at that point, according to several sources.That meant for every 100 machines that Microsoft’s contractmanufacturers, Flextronics and Wistron,made at their factories in China, 68 didn’t work. At the recent dinner,Bach denied that there was a big concern about defects at that point intime.
At that point, it is likely true that the engineers weren’t raisingenough red flags for the executives to pay attention. Early yields onelectronic goods are almost always lousy. Those veteran engineersfigured that they would be able to debug the problems and bring theyields up quickly. But the expected rapid improvement in quality justdidn’t happen. The communication between upper management and theengineers wasn’t clear. Nor was the strategy aligned between marketingand customer support.
There were plenty of warning signs. Early reports on the problemswere myriad. In an Aug. 30, 2005 memo, the team reported overheatinggraphics chip, cracking heat sinks, cosmetic issues with the hard diskdrive and the front of the box, under-performing graphics memory chipsfrom Infineon (now Qimonda), aproblem with the DVD drive, and other things. At that point, thecontract manufacturers were behind schedule and had only built hundredsof units. They were supposed to have been in high gear, makingthousands every week.

Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 08, 2008 20:01
Takahashi has done articles before on the 360's teething problemsbefore, they've always been entertaining, and really thoroughlyresearched. He gets information above and beyond what someone will findsimply trolling the net.

The line worker in question actually came out with this info a while ago, but It didn't really take off beyond the Xbox forum and blogospheres. It probably had something to do with the fact that the article was really poorly written, more like a local news column on gaming than anything else.

<message edited by Eddie_the_Hated on Sep 08, 2008 20:03>
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 08, 2008 21:56
I'm so f-ing tired of this "news".  360 console reliability SUCKS!  We all know that.  I understand that some people REALLY like to beat a dead horse, but c'mon now.
As far as I'm concerned, this guy didn't "uncover" or "discover" anything that isn't common sense.  Of course they pushed them out the door too early.  Of course, people knew about it, and some probably spoke up.  Of course, we can all attribute it to greed.  Unless there was some corporate espionage envolved, I'm done with it.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 09, 2008 00:13
yeah I agree, this article is useless to me, but then I think about how stupid the rest of the world is.
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 09, 2008 08:32
It was probably in someone's annual goals in MS for the 360 to achieve worldwide launch by end of 2005 - and they cut a whole of corners to get there - but strategically the idea to launch as soon as possible was sound as they had to build up a market presence before Sony got the PS3 out. They just took far too long to resolve the problems though.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 09, 2008 20:55

I'm so f-ing tired of this "news".  360 console reliability SUCKS!  Weall know that.  I understand that some people REALLY like to beat adead horse, but c'mon now.
As far as I'm concerned, this guy didn't "uncover" or "discover"anything that isn't common sense.  Of course they pushed them out thedoor too early.  Of course, people knew about it, and some probablyspoke up.  Of course, we can all attribute it to greed.  Unless therewas some corporate espionage envolved, I'm done with it.

We all knew what went wrong with Atari and Sega, but people are still making documentaries.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 09, 2008 21:15
360s break? WTF?
Zoy

Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 09, 2008 21:22
Ha!  Did you fools even read the article?  Clearly it contains a lot more specific information about the shot callers and the specific manufacturers of various components than just restating the obvious.  It's an in-depth analysis and timeline, which I'm willing to wager can't be found in anyone's post history here.
mastachefbkw

Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 09, 2008 21:45

I'm willing to wager can't be found in anyone's post history here.

I'm willing to wager that Kotaku has posted something similar to this every week since the whole mishap began.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 09, 2008 23:05
You know what guys I'm starting to believe that Microsoft's Xbox 360 might have some reliablitiy issues.
Zoy

Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 09, 2008 23:22
Kotaku...  shit, what can I say.  You can't argue with Kotaku's journalistic integrity.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 10, 2008 02:13

The best part of that site are the posts about Mini-bash. Other than that, I avoid it like the plague.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 11, 2008 06:40
Zoy, I'm not saying that the article doesn't include some newly revealed information.  I'm sayin' the information contained therein is on a subject that is stale and of no practical use to me.  Some people may still find it interesting; I mean, you did, but I'd rather read a speculative article on the forthcoming Xbox.  Yeah, I said it!  I'd RATHER read SPECULATION!
Zoy

Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 11, 2008 18:42
I hear ya.  Hell, I still enjoy reading articles about the development of the earliest consoles.

As for speculation, I heard the Xbox 720 is gonna have a dollar bill slot and you've gotta feed in 5s, 10s and 20s every few days to keep it working.  And somehow it teleports them to Bill Gates's lap.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 11, 2008 19:24
Zoy

I hear ya.  Hell, I still enjoy reading articles about the development of the earliest consoles.

As for speculation, I heard the Xbox 720 is gonna have a dollar bill slot and you've gotta feed in 5s, 10s and 20s every few days to keep it working.  And somehow it teleports them to Bill Gates's lap.

Until some modder reverse engineers it, then MS will be on the warpath after a rich 12 year old.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 11, 2008 23:24
Better make sure Nintendo doesn't get the rights to the phrase "It prints money!!!"
mastachefbkw

Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 11, 2008 23:37
Nintendo: IT MAKES MONEY!
Sony: IT EATS MONEY!
MS: IT....
immortaldanmx

Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 12, 2008 05:27
mastachefbkw

Nintendo: IT MAKES MONEY!
Sony: IT EATS MONEY!
MS: IT....

MS: It has games, you just gotta hope they dont kill your console.

If you see this chef, get on CoD4, I keep getting your voicemail on your cell.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 13, 2008 15:55
UPDATE

Microsoft just fired the tester for going public with design flaws.
immortaldanmx

Re:Dean Takahashi's analysis of X360 design flaws - Sep 13, 2008 21:25
Eddie_the_Hated

UPDATE

Microsoft just fired the tester for going public with design flaws.

The funny part is, in response to possibly getting sued by MS, he says: "Bring it on."

WTF? Does he not realize MS has possibly the best law team in the world?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 29

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message