Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 360, so its been accepted then?
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 57
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
360, so its been accepted then? - May 31, 2005 16:39
I remember only a few moons ago, that everybody was crizteing how the name of ' xbox 360' was the worst they ever heard of, and how the design just looked stupid. Now i never hear a thing and its like the complete opposite! 360 now has become accpeted and nobody has ever given a second thought to it [that is, untill the ad campiagns come out for it ;)] No talk about how the oversized power button is just a gimik to ' pimp' your 360 with totally ' rad' covers. But i suppose the ps3 and revoloution have clouded the 360 somewhat.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - May 31, 2005 16:59
Xbox360 is still and always will be a stupid name thought up by retarded people.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - May 31, 2005 17:07
And as stupid of a name it is, there' s nothing we can do about it as it' s pretty much set in stone at this point. So rather than harp on and on about it till we' re blue in the face we' ve decided to save our b' tching for the games!;)
Joe Redifer

RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - May 31, 2005 17:35
Exactly. Video game systems rarely have good names. Let' s look at the history of bad system names:

-TurboGrafx-16
-Nintendo 64
-Sega Dreamcast (kind of cheesey, but not actually bad)
-Sharp X68000
-PC Engine (though nowhere as bad as TG-16)
-ShuttleGrafx (WTF?)
-CoreGrafx
-SuperGrafx
-Sega Mega Drive (what the hell?)
-Playstation 2 (boring)
-Playstation 3 (even more boring)
-Xbox (cheesey)
-FM Towns Marty
-Amiga CD-32 (The Brits should never try to make a system ever)
-N-Gage (N-credibly stupid)
-Konix Multisystem (Multisystem sounds OK, but " Konix" ? No wonder the world hates them)

We' ll accept Xbox360 just as we accepted those. The design of the console is OK, but I don' t understand what is up with this whole " We need to have it stand vertically" fad. And that' s just what it is... a fad.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 1 Jun 05 1:39:07 >
Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - May 31, 2005 20:14
Joe! Some of those names aren' t bad. Changing the name of the PC Engine to the TurboGrafx was stupid, as was ending the names of all the addons in Grafx. FM Towns Marty sounds like a particuarly chavy person.

However the Mega Drive is a far superior name to the Genesis. Nintendo 64 is a decent name seeing as all home Nintendo hardware had in the past had a prominent role for the Nintendo name. Dreamcast was pretty good IMO - it was the first hardware platform that could comfortably do realistic 3D and hence in a way did have the power to cast your dreams.

Then again at the end of the day are there any worse names than the Gizmondo or the Wonderswan?
Joe Redifer

RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - May 31, 2005 21:11

However the Mega Drive is a far superior name to the Genesis.

No it isn' t. It sounds like a car engine. It' s better than Xbox360. I actually like the Japanese Mega Drive logo. The one they made for the EU market is pretty nasty. Did you hear that France said " no" to a EU constitution?
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 1 Jun 05 5:11:36 >
Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - Jun 01, 2005 01:59
Whilst it may be outdated now, back in the early 1990' s Mega Drive was a cracking name. It' s better than naming a console after an average band.

Re: France and the EU Constitution

It is slightly surprising that France voted no as they are one of the most pro Europe countries. Then again most political commentators were of the opinion that it was a protest vote against their president and their struggling economy where unemployment is at around 10%. Although tbh, an EU Constitiution which basically forms an United States of Europe and takes away many powers of nation states is never going to get that far. If Britain ever get a vote (which we have been promised) there' s no chance that we' ll vote yes.
< Message edited by Gossi_the_dog -- 1 Jun 05 17:27:20 >
evangelion

• Total Posts : 91
RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - Jun 01, 2005 07:26
here' s the dell desktop i think looks a little bit like an xbox360...

http://www.evangeli0n.com/pic/xbox360.gif
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - Jun 01, 2005 15:11
LOL, glad to see I' m not the only person that thinks the Xbox 360 looks like a friggin Dell Computer
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - Jun 01, 2005 15:13
I like how the 360 looks. It' s definately not the best design ever and I like the revolutions look better but it' s still pretty damn sweet.
Joe Redifer

RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - Jun 01, 2005 18:50
I can' t believe computers still come with floppy drives. What the hell? Any computer with a floppy drive is OUT OF DATE! I' m surprised they don' t still come with tape drives. That' s PC technology for ya... refuses to advance.

The Genesis wasn' t named after the lite rock band, it was named after the first book in the Bible of the ONE TRUE RELIGION! The Genesis was created by God (my God, not yours. My God is better than yours. Yours sucks. My religion is right and yours is wrong. You will burn in hell.)
evangelion

• Total Posts : 91
RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - Jun 02, 2005 03:10
floppys are useful joe...

if u wanna take that one word document somewhere and they don' t have net access.

takes 2 seconds to write to and it fits in ur pocket.

i don' t use floppys anymore to be honest, but i imagine alot of people do. especially in work places, alot of computers in offices don' t have cd drives
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - Jun 02, 2005 12:17
Flash drives/memory keys/USB sticks.... whatever you want to call them. THose are God' s gift to computers/file transfer/word processing. I love my magic stick. (DO NOT take that the wrong way)
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - Jun 02, 2005 14:02
that is very interesting Rikka......

Hey, this forum is all about the sharing.
Joe Redifer

RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - Jun 02, 2005 15:19
Flash drives are much quicker and quieter than floppies as well. Not to mention smaller. At my last office we used a simple flash key drive for those kinds of things.
mxpx182

RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - Jun 02, 2005 15:34
Not to mention cheap as cabbage soup. You can get a 1.5 GB flash drive for 80 bucks canadian now. If the Computer industry was smart, they' d be paying close attention to how large these flash drives are getting. I think Windows XP requires something like 4GB of space to install. Computer desginers should get together with OS designers and design an OS that you install on a Flash device. Instant boot up, absolutely no time to turn on yor computer. Programs and the like would all stillbe installed on a hard drive, but the OS on a flash key. If things got easy enough they could even make the flash device removable so you could change OS at a whim. Need to play games through windows?? Bang. Need to do some programing and want to use Linux, plug it in, bang!
< Message edited by mxpx182 -- 2 Jun 05 23:38:05 >
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - Jun 02, 2005 15:41
Yeah, flash is where it' s at. for a while there were rumors that 360 would have a massive flash drive rather than a hard drive. Flash drives are very convinient. I wish I could find my alienware one that I lost. I' m so pissed it' s gone!
Joe Redifer

RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - Jun 02, 2005 16:11
Your Flash OS thought is a good one, but Flash drives are too slow. It would take much longer to boot up from a flash drive because they are about 1/8th the speed of a real hard drive at their fasest. I' m sure they' ll get quicker. A Flash OS would also need to be able to write in order to be updated, etc.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - Jun 02, 2005 20:13
I can boot from USB 2.0 devices with my motherboard. I could instal windows onto an mp3 player then boot from that. But I think I' ll just stick to my hard drive.
mxpx182

RE: 360, so its been accepted then? - Jun 03, 2005 06:58
That' s interesting Joe, I always thought that flash memory was faster. After the small amount of research I' ve done, it appears you' re right and they are too slow. Too bad, once they get the data transfer rates up it sure would be handy. And I don' t see why you wouldn' t be able to write to it, you can write to flash normally. they' d just have to make sure they leave enough extra room for any concievable large updates that may be required in the future.
< Message edited by mxpx182 -- 3 Jun 05 14:59:38 >
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 57

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread