Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 48
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 06:00
Well its not official per se but some one at the NeoGAF forums has used Linux to discover that Resistance (potentially) uses upto 17GBs of padding. Whats padding?

To push data to the outer rims I suppose. Transfer rates are higher out there.

Disc based games are never optimized for size anyways with a few exceptions like oblivion where new DLC is a couple hundred kilobytes each

Link - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130883

Hmm i did wonder before why Resistance required so much disk space considering its running at 720p and not 1080p and this may be the reason. blu ray necessary for games? Maybe but NOT for Resistance.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 06:02
In other words," It means they added empty files to fill up space" .

GJ SONY YOU BEEN CAUGHT AGAIN.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 06:03
You mean Sony lies again? I was wondering what all that space was for.
QuezcatoL

RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 06:07
Its like putting 5 kilo extra in your weighscale at a gym.
And say you need their exercise ^^
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 06:20
lol, this is obvious.. i couldnt see anything in that game that would need soo much data..

SONY = OWNED again
fernandino

• Total Posts : 661
RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 06:30
this isnt oficcial is it??? i mean it could be just bullshit, im sure Lair will make great use of Blu-Ray, then many others.

i would like to see extra content in games like the content in God of War, it had a hell of alot content, interviews, deleted levels, " the making of GoW" , " the fate of the titan" " the secret" all the in game cutscenes, " heroic posibilities" , and alot more thing, thats what SONY has to do, hell they can even pack demos of other Sony published games, or thirth partys as well, how cool would it be to have a Resident Evil 5 demo on Devil May Cry 4 for the PS3, it will even make the game sell more. they will make use of the space, im sure of it.
< Message edited by fernandino -- 26 Nov 06 22:33:00 >
QuezcatoL

RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 06:37
Here these dev put fake files in their ps3 games to make it look bigger so blu-ray look needed,and look who comment about how he want to have more material over for his games for other stuff,gj Fernanindo,you really sticked to topic.

Take of the sonyfanboy hate for once will ya?

It' s not hard adding another DVD with the game,did you know that 2 dvd' s are cheaper to produce then one blu-ray???

ye no?
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 06:44
Bra stuffing eh? anyway i' m back people what have I missed. As for resistance it does' nt really take away from the gamw anyhow it looks fantastic but if it' s more playing into sony' s PR crap insomniac needs to stay away from that cos I love those guys and their work.
Terrak

RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 06:46
ITs not official as i said, but it does question the claims sony made as to the usefullness of the blu ray format in current games.

Whether it uses 17+ GBs seems irrelevant now, Gears OF War pretty much answered that question - Looks better & plays better then Resistance FoM and uses less then 7GBs and you can play it on a console US$100-$200 cheaper.

Is blu ray necessary for games - ask me in 5 years time.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 06:47
This is rediculous.
QuezcatoL

RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 06:49
But then next gen starts...

At next generation i do think HD-DVD,blu-ray is a must have,why?

Well HD-tv' s aprobably in most of our homes,and if the typcial 360 game is now at 5-7gb i could see the need to use a bigger disc storage for next gen.

Also i think at that time blu-ray or hd-dvds are just as common as a normal DVD to buy at a store or produce at tha ttime.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 06:49

ORIGINAL: Terrak

ITs not official as i said, but it does question the claims sony made as to the usefullness of the blu ray format in current games.

Whether it uses 17+ GBs seems irrelevant now, Gears OF War pretty much answered that question - Looks better & plays better then Resistance FoM and uses less then 7GBs and you can play it on a console US$100-$200 cheaper.

Is blu ray necessary for games - ask me in 5 years time.

It' s still irrelevant in my opinion. Because format space does' nt add to people' s enjoyment of a game did people like gears because it was on dvd9? and resistance because it' s only on one blu-ray disc? I even forgot for a sec that I had to change discs in shenmue.
fernandino

RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 06:54

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

Here these dev put fake files in their ps3 games to make it look bigger so blu-ray look needed

thats my point, its not official, its just some guys word, i dont know how much to trust that, could be truth could be a lie, what im saying its that one way or the other the space its not a problem, there are a lot of things they can do whit that, and its not like a burden, the games cost the same 60 dlls.
Nitro

RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 07:09
Anybody who think that a developer would have data on a disc wth the tag ' artificial padding' is a complete and utter moron. It' s 100% bullshit.
Terrak

RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 07:16
Looked around for more info -

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=881724#post881724

Not only have they misreported the GAF thread, they also ignored Ted Price' s more recent comments about Resistance shipping at around 16GB. If you' re not interested in learning what the actual disc usage is, please look away now:

The numbers associated with each file are the LBA index, each LBA has a block size = 2kb. Determining the difference between one LBA index with the next indicates the number of blocks a given file occupies. This means that:

Padding file size = 32MB.
Total padding = 1.9GB.
Total FMV = 7GB.
Audio = 2.24GB. (605MB for music and English language only)
Game Assets = 6.12GB.

Game Assets 6.12 GBs
Audio 2.24 GBs

Game only - 8.36 GBs
Therefore Resistance FoM CAN technically fit on a DVD9 (gaming assets and Audio only)

FMV - 7 GBs !!!!! Yeah we really need those movies. What, the ps3s ingame graphics not good enough for cut scenes??
< Message edited by Terrak -- 26 Nov 06 23:26:14 >
Nitro

RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 07:25

ORIGINAL: Terrak

Looked around for more info -

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=881724#post881724

Not only have they misreported the GAF thread, they also ignored Ted Price' s more recent comments about Resistance shipping at around 16GB. If you' re not interested in learning what the actual disc usage is, please look away now:

The numbers associated with each file are the LBA index, each LBA has a block size = 2kb. Determining the difference between one LBA index with the next indicates the number of blocks a given file occupies. This means that:

Padding file size = 32MB.
Total padding = 1.9GB.
Total FMV = 7GB.
Audio = 2.24GB. (605MB for music and English language only)
Game Assets = 6.12GB.

Game Assets 6.12 GBs
Audio 2.24 GBs

Game only - 8.36 GBs
There fore Resistance FoM CAN technically fit on DVD (with gaming assets and Audio)

FMV - 7 GBs !!!!! Yeah we really need those movies, what the ps3s ingame graphics not good enough for cut scenes??

Gears uses ingame assets for it' s FMV sequences and the RAM usage is high, that' s one of the reasons the framerate is lower than during actual gameplay. Resistance uses FMV and will simply stream the movies on the disc, it' s more efficient but obviously require more space. I would rather Gears had used a similar method than what it actually uses.

All this bullshit about we don' t need Blu-Ray needs to stop. Blue Dragon will ship on 3 fucking discs because of FMV!!!

If a game didn' t use FMV and didn' t have multiple languages and audio streams then it' s highly likely it' d fit on a DVD9. Start using HD FMV and the size bloats.

Use some common sense before posting retarded bullshit like this.
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 07:57

Anybody who think that a developer would have data on a disc wth the tag ' artificial padding' is a complete and utter moron. It' s 100% bullshit.

I was Wondering when you were gonna silence this madness lol

Use some common sense before posting retarded bullshit like this.

Get em maji
< Message edited by mikayd2 -- 26 Nov 06 23:59:31 >
Nitro

RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 08:07

ORIGINAL: mikayd2

I was Wondering when you were gonna silence this madness lol

PS3' s 2nd wave of games will close the huge gap set by Gears of War. This generation is going to be close on all fronts and it looks like we' ll see more 360 games on multiple discs. That doesn' t matter because we' ve had to swap discs before, it only matter to the publisher and developer because it costs more to press the games.

Blu-Ray, in my humble opinion, isn' t needed, but it does bring benefits that developers would be stupid not to take full advantage of. Lets bear in mind that Sony is forcing Blu-Ray on developers and so some games obviously wont take up more than would be needed if the game was being pressed on DVD9, but having multiple audio steams is nice if you appreciate the option to choose what format your sound is.

Resistance shipped at 16GB, i linked to Ted Prices IGN blog more than a month ago when people were saying it was still 22+. What it allows is for one versuon of the game to be released for Europe, having multiple language' s all on the same disc. Microsoft on the othe hand release multiple versions of their games, each with different languages. The way Microsoft do it is less efficient and more costly. It doesn' t make much difference but it' s also not like having them all on one disc is a bad thing.

Who said Blu-Ray would directly benefit you ???
fernandino

RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 09:38
Well spoken majik, u just said it all.
< Message edited by fernandino -- 27 Nov 06 1:39:05 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Resistance FoM Needs blu ray - BULL$#!T - Nov 27, 2006 10:33

Get em maji

Well spoken majik, u just said it all.
No Majik, be my big brother in the argument! I need the moral support, not Fernandino!

Unless I' m mistaken, Majik isn' t " Getting ' em" for you or anything. He' s based his own opinions off of facts, & not brand loyalty, you should try it.

dasher232
Long-time no-see man!
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 27 Nov 06 2:36:36 >
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 48

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages