Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Medal of Honor: Airborne demo up...
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Medal of Honor: Airborne demo up... - Aug 26, 2007 00:06
...and clock in at around 960 meg.

Impressions once downloaded.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Medal of Honor: Airborne demo up... - Aug 26, 2007 01:50
The demo starts with a shit ingame briefing where you can see plenty of aliasing becuse of the contrast between the bright projector you' re watching and the silhouetted characters sat infront of you.

Then comes the weapon selection screen which is obviously limited as it' s a demo but a good indicator of what to expect in the final game. The game proper begins in a plane (obviously), you get a few seconds to admire the character modeling before jumping out of the aircraft. You can see the entire level below you and can steer your chute within a pretty large range. I managed to land on a roof accross from the Germans command centre and immediately came under fire.

It wasn' t the ideal situation to get used to the controls but what i found out pretty quickly was that if you hold the left trigger and move the left stick you can lean left and right and also lower and raise you body which means that when hiding behind cover you can pop out in a nice and fluid fashion and then back in once you' ve taken your shot. It works perfectly and comes in really useful.

Framerate is steady, everything is smooth and there' s litte to no aim assist which is good. The weapons look and feel great. They' re 10 times better than their CoD3 equivlents. I completed 2 objectives and then managed to die and found that when you die you respawn and prachute back in instead of restarting the level from a checkpoint. Objectives you' ve already completed stay completed but if you died mid objective then the Germans/Italians will have forced your team back and retaken any positions you had neutralized.

I hadn' t taken out the AA guns placed on top of the command centre i' d initally landed accross from so i decided to land right on top of it. I wanted to know whether it made much difference where you landed. I tok out the guns and made my way down through the building and where i' d have had an uphill fight against machinegun placements i found that many of the soldiers where unaware of my presence, obviously expecting a frontal assault and the machinegun placements were facing the wrong way meaning i had an easier time clearing the building.

Weapons and skills get ugraded, so the more your use a weapon the more upgrades you' ll get for it. I got the Cutts Ccompensatorand the Forward Pistol Grip for the Thompson, both of which affect the weapons handling. I' m guessing this will also carry over into the online component.

The lighting is good, textures as good as CoD3' s but there is some aliasing. The weapons and explosions sound great and the dialogue isn' t bad either.

There is some annoying pop in and texture loading. The pop in isn' t that bad but the texture loading even hapens when switching weapons which is a pain. It' s obviously and inherent problem with UE3.0 as both Gears and Vegas suffer from the same issue.

So far i' m happy with it. It looks like it' ll be a far better game than CoD3 but i' m not sure where it' ll land as far as the rest of the shooters hitting between now and Christmas goes.

What did you guys think?
< Message edited by NITRO -- 25 Aug 07 17:57:10 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Medal of Honor: Airborne demo up... - Aug 26, 2007 02:31
Well I dunno cause I' m busy fighting a modern war...

But I will definitely go download this as I am very curious if MoH can redeem itself.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Medal of Honor: Airborne demo up... - Aug 26, 2007 03:49
I downloaded the demo for the pc a few days ago, you know to see how unreal 3 would fair on my pc, got an average of 25fps solid enoug [need another stick of ram though, the parachute was unplayable the first time [:' (] ]

I liked it, one of the better Moh games but I felt for the pc version the arming felt weird and you somehow feel superhuman in this game.
< Message edited by Silentbomber -- 25 Aug 07 19:49:59 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Medal of Honor: Airborne demo up... - Aug 26, 2007 05:13
Eh... started download it and after like 15 minutes it was a 20%. Then when I ckecked an hour later it was still at 20%. I gave up on it, will try again tomorrow.
Calintz

• Total Posts : 321
RE: Medal of Honor: Airborne demo up... - Aug 26, 2007 18:22
Going by this demo, it' s fairly good, but nowhere near as good as MOH' s best days. The parachuting mechanic is a pleasing new addition, which offers the game a different feel to previous entries in the series. The guns themselves feel rather satisfying, but the death animations, which are usually of great importance to me in FPS' s (because watching people die in fancy ways is always fun) are good but far from the best, taking away from the satisfaction of the virtual killing somewhat. Overall, I enjoyed myself enough to be interested in the full game.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Medal of Honor: Airborne demo up... - Aug 28, 2007 09:56
I can' t play it properly after playing a certain BETA. It' s too sluggish, the weapons feel useless until you start upgrading them. I do like the leaning and stuff but I would rather move slowly and shoot then do a weird ass dance in the midst of battle.
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Medal of Honor: Airborne demo up... - Aug 29, 2007 06:36
I really hate to say this, seeing as MOHAA was one of the first multiplayer games I really enjoyed, I find it lacking something and to be honest I don' t know what it is, it seems bland, it didn' t get my pulse racing like the MOHAA, it was almost too pedestrian.

Sorry I am rambling, but it doesn' t quite fit the bill as a MOH game.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll