Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 If you could fix one game...
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
If you could fix one game... - Oct 07, 2008 07:48
If you could take a fuck awesome concept, mangled by a low budget, clipped development time, or a shoddy codehouse, and totally revamp it, what would you change for the better? Use specific examples.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Re:If you could fix one game... - Oct 07, 2008 11:45
Fallout 3

Id fire bethesda team and put the guys who made the first 2 in charge.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
Re:If you could fix one game... - Oct 07, 2008 11:55
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

A brilliant example of a diamond in the rough. It has exceptional literature and writing, memorable characters, nice RPG experience, and the concept is believable despite it being about vampires.

Problem is that Troika (the developers) went bust half way through development. It was released in what I would deem a pre-beta stage. Buggy, glitches, crashes, incomplete worlds, rushed ending, etc. Bloodlines could have been so much more. It was actually the first game to be completed using the Source engine, but it's release was delayed until after HL2 due to contractual agreements with Valve. As such, you can see it was made on an incredibly early version of the Source engine, and this only compounds the other issues.

Fan made patches are available for Bloodlines, and while they do help, they still can only change a limited range of things. What it really needed was another good 6 months to a year of development. With Troika gone, another company needs to pick up the "Vampire the Masquerade" franchise and build on it. It's a great IP that deserves to be put forward.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Re:If you could fix one game... - Oct 07, 2008 14:22
Castlevania: Nocturne in the Moonlight for the Sega Saturn.  It was a port of the PS code and it shows.  It would have been MUCH better if it were coded ground-up for the Saturn.  The transparencies would still be there and the game wouldn't have any slowdown like it currently does.  Also there should have been an English option for the text.

I can't limit this to one game...

Contra 4 for the DS.  I would make it so it didn't suck and only used one screen for the action.

Heavenly Sword for the PS3.  I would have actually had them finish programming the game so it didn't stutter the framerate, I'd change the boss fights and I'd make the game a bit less repetitive.

Any FPS game.  I would make them so that they did not exist, except for Metroid Prime 3.

I'm sure I could think of tons more.
<message edited by Joe Redifer on Oct 07, 2008 14:26>
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:If you could fix one game... - Oct 07, 2008 23:51
I think I'd have had Nintendo push back Majora's Mask to the Gamecube and make it longer. It also would have insanely boosted Gamecube sales.

...Also, I'd like to see what a half way decent Kane and Lynch would be like.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:If you could fix one game... - Oct 08, 2008 00:12
Baja.  Ease up on the single player difficulty.  It would be fun maybe if the AI were not drving like gods.  Also do something about the graphics.  Make it so that using a G25 is just as playable as a controller.

Halo 2&3!  Remove online multiplayer and make single player what Halo fans expected from the first game.  Give us the story we deserved.  Fuck the Arbiter and fuck dual weilding weapons. 

Dynasty Warriors.  Keep the concept and make it so that it doesn't blow chunks.  If the games played and looked like it was 2008, throw in more RPG elements you'd be golden.  Yeah not having the programmers do the voice acting is another good idea.  Get professionals.

Spore.  Have the Subtitle "Do not buy, this game is not what you expect." 
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
Re:If you could fix one game... - Oct 08, 2008 04:23
Hang-On GP '1995 for the Sega Saturn.  I would have put the Super Hang-On team on this game so they could give me a proper follow-up to the greatest motorcycle racing game ever made.

Shin Shinobi Den for the Saturn. I would have put the Revenge of Shinobi team on this potential badboy.

As far as all First person shooters go, I'd simply just force developers to add a 3rd person mode in all of those games so that I NEVER have to play in First person mode.

Sonic the Hedgehog for the PS3 and Xbox 360. I'd have them fine-tune the action levels and copy the town levels from the original Sonic Adventure and just spruce up the graphics.

Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 for all platforms. I would have CANCELLED the development of this game.

Planet Harrier for Arcade. I would have killed the team behind this game and put Yu Suzuki and his original Space Harrier team on this project.
<message edited by Terry Bogard on Oct 08, 2008 04:24>
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
Re:If you could fix one game... - Oct 09, 2008 13:53
Any game with multiplayer capabilities, take away the ability for morons to cheat (in public matches). Put everyone on the same playing field (or bog or planet.) Then see who is the best without jumping in and out of the map or using adapted controllers or using cheats.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:If you could fix one game... - Oct 10, 2008 20:27
Jericho - why combining inspired story writers/film makers and talented developers hasn't produced a decent game yet I can't figure out!  Theres a huge potential for videogames to mature into a superior medium to film and books - videogames can be art and this combo theoretically is the key, but time and again we just get a half-arsed story with a half-arsed game tacked onto each other.   Jericho was one game that could have mixed an incredibly dark story world and despicable nightmares with an interactive, detailed and atmospheric game world, but instead we ended up with characters from Blade 2 in a gameworld from an average 80s FPS.  Then they added incredibly irritating quicktime events for good measure - I hate those.  Its no wonder Stephen Spielberg ended up just doing a puzzle game.

Alone in the Dark - Another game that could and should have been full of atmosphere and horror, which ended up ruined by shoddy controls, gimmicky action scenes and physics features, and rubbish characters in an uninspired story.  Yea so if they fixed all that it would've been good, heh.
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
Re:If you could fix one game... - Oct 11, 2008 20:57
kotor2 - shoot the people who rushed development, and fill all those damn plot hole.

Frontier - Fantastic premise, and space to explore but phenomenonally bug-ridden.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll