Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars"
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 02, 2004 22:04
I' m not crazed X-box fanboy or nething but I think next year Microsoft and there console should have the crown for just one gen ya know? Nintendo, Sega, Sony have all held it for at least one generation. Of course I want them to earn it, so I hope they make a worthy console. I just wanna see the torch handed off, cuz the X-Box is quite a machine but Sony' s name alone easily brought in new gamers and alot 3rd party support easily.

I' m pretty sure I know the comments I' m gonna get from this but owell just one opinion. What does everyone else want to happen.
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 03, 2004 00:37
It would be nice for M$ to earn their spot at #1, but they still have a ways to go.

If they launch with Halo 3, Perfect Dark Zero, Dead Or Alive 4, and GTA: SA, they might just take and hold number one for a long while...

...and the fact that they are going to launch late 2005, rather that waiting until 2006 like Sony and Nintendo, is a big help too!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 03, 2004 00:49
Don' t worry Mass X, I totally agree with you. I really want them to be the king of the hill for one gaming generation, preferably with their next console.

It CAN happen in the U.S. and Europe, but I honestly don' t see it happening in Japan. No way no how. They' ll NEED Square-Enix onboard in order to win Japan.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 03, 2004 04:02
I really don' t care.

Whatever system provides the most games I want to play, that' s the first one I' ll get. It' s a shockingly simple formula.
PS2Poodoo

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 03, 2004 05:34
I am a semi-new xbox owner. While I must say I love the system, it doesn' t seem to have the game library I' m used to from playing playstation for so long. If the new xbox comes out with some great games, and some other good ones in the works, then I think it' ll be worth checking out. I' m sure developer support has gone up for microsoft and its xbox, so a small game library next genereation may not be a problem for the software giant.

But, even this early on, I can say I am very excited for the PS3. No matter what, I will have one. Well, unless something unpredictable comes up(revolution, perhaps?)
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 03, 2004 21:21
I have no desire for there to be any system wearing the " crown" . As much as I' m a Nintendo fanboy (admittidly) Why would I want a situation where Nintendo pummels the competition into the ground. competition drives prices down and quality up. Ideal situation for me is Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all having equal shares in the marketplace. That way game developers may decide to develope all of there games for all systems, and we the consumers reap the benefits. Halo on Gamecube, Baten Kaitos on PS2, and Gran Turisimo on X-box. None of these games are developed by Nintendo, sony, or Microsoft, they just have exclusivity deals. If every system suceeds consumers don' t get stuck being the " sucker" who bought the losing system. That, and I want the days back where a system launched with a game and 2 controllers IN THE BOX!!!!
fathoms

RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 04, 2004 01:40

Halo on Gamecube, Baten Kaitos on PS2, and Gran Turisimo on X-box. None of these games are developed by Nintendo, sony, or Microsoft, they just have exclusivity deals.

Just to clarify, Bungie is essentially owned by MS, and Sony DOES make Gran Turismo; it' s just a sub-developer of theirs that has their name on it (Polyphony Digital). That' s why there' s basically zero chance of seeing them on other platforms.
PS2Poodoo

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 04, 2004 05:39
^polyphony is a part of sony? Wow, that really is a shocker to me.

After 989 studios I just assumed sony didn' t know how to program for its own hardware.
fathoms

RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 04, 2004 05:48
http://www.polyphony.co.jp/

What' s that say right down there in the lower left-hand corner?

I' m surprised people DIDN' T know that.

And while 989 Studios was a complete disaster, you have to remember that Sony has also put out Twisted Metal: Black, the Ratchet and Clank series, the GT series, the SOCOMs, and many more fantastic titles this generation.

They began to show a lot of promise last generation with Legend of Dragoon, and I actually consider them to be one of the top developers this generation. Just check out the review scores for any of those games I listed above; they' re some of the highest scoring games in the past five years.
< Message edited by fathoms -- 12/4/2004 5:50:47 AM >
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 04, 2004 18:33
I wish they' d freaking get out a new Twisted Metal...two of my favorite games of all times was Twisted Metal 2 and Twisted Metal Black. There was nothing like using Minion on Twisted Metal 2 to lay waste to the competition, or using that semi truck on Black to smash, smash, and smash some more.
< Message edited by yoshimitsu15 -- 12/4/2004 6:34:00 PM >
Alley_Hater

• Total Posts : 340
RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 04, 2004 20:50
Yes, Microsoft should have the crown for making such games like Halo (2) for a first time consoler, haha, yes, that' s my new word of the year. Furthermore, Blizzard should have the crown...uhh...sorry guys... (sarcasm) I didn' t mean that.
fathoms

RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 04, 2004 20:59

I wish they' d freaking get out a new Twisted Metal...two of my favorite games of all times was Twisted Metal 2 and Twisted Metal Black. There was nothing like using Minion on Twisted Metal 2 to lay waste to the competition, or using that semi truck on Black to smash, smash, and smash some more.

TM 2 ranks in my top 10 games of all time, and TM: Black is high on the list as well. I can' t even count the number of times I beat TM 2 with Minion. LOL
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 05, 2004 00:34
The thing with consoles is that as a form of entertainment there' s never really been a universal system that plays all games. There are VCR' s that can play any movie on video, DVD players that can play... well, any movie on DVD. But there is no ' X' system that plays any game. It' s odd that...

... Anyway. Things will be interesting with the next generation. Before it' s all been about how a console does in Japan. if it does well there it' ll usually do as well in the rest of the world. But this time we' ve the X-Box Next made by a western company. Developers in the west before this generation hadn' t really enjoyed the same success as Japan. But now their skills have been honed and what have we found? The best and most anticipated games this year are from western developers; Halo 2, Half Life 2, GTA San Andreas, Fable and Burnout 3. They' ve finally gotten the hang of things.

Even if the X-Box next doesn' t do great in Japan, Microsoft has a lot of potential to attract western companies to make more great games for their machine.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 05, 2004 01:48
Like I said I hope it tops out above the rest but I eant it too earn that spot. If it does have the power within it I just hope casual and new gamers take notice.
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 06, 2004 02:47

Bungie is essentially owned by MS, and Sony DOES make Gran Turismo; it' s just a sub-developer of theirs that has their name on it (Polyphony Digital). That' s why there' s basically zero chance of seeing them on other platforms.

I wasn' t aware that polyphony digital was owned by sony, and I' m not saying it' s likely, just how nice things would be. Let' s not forget, Rare was basically owned by nintendo, but I believe we' ll be seeing a perfect dark heading to the x-box sometime soon. Equal competition can create high level products. Monopolies can create high prices.
captain Qball

• Total Posts : 30
RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 07, 2004 23:50
I would like to see all three systems branch out into different areas, do some exploring. As can be seen today, video games already look however developers want. They can make ultra-realistic work, or give something a catoony-feel. Visually, We have reached near teh maximum. What I want to see is more creativity in the marketplace, like Nintendo hinted at with the Revolution. Each system should branch off into a different direction, adding something new while they all maintain the abilities of the current generation.
fathoms

RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 08, 2004 01:29

As can be seen today, video games already look however developers want.

Just to clarify, the PUBLISHERS have the final say in how a game looks. The devs. just better hope they created something the publishers can sell (of course, when the same company does both the developing and publishing, this is a moot point, but still...)
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Just a random thought for the next gen console " wars" - Dec 08, 2004 01:35

As can be seen today, video games already look however developers want.

Actually I don' t think I' ve ever read about a developer that was 110% completely satisfied with how their games turned out. There' s always that extra amount that either the console wasn' t able to push or the developers just didn' t have all the time in the world to try and achieve it ;:)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll