Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sometimes you get the impression that some critics are bribed...
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
Sometimes you get the impression that some critics are bribed... - Sep 22, 2005 19:10
now let me tell you one exemple that strikes the hell out of me this year
that game is Jade empire and reviewers are IGN , this is just an exemple of some others in some other website... i think that kikizo gave a nice score 9.0and that' s what i said in the other thread it should not exceed 9.2...

IGN gave 9.9 !!! WTF ????? for what???

let' s agree a 9.9 game should be almost perfect for many gamers, but it was not the case at all!! take Gamespot it gave a humble 8.8 .... that means one of them is crazy (we know each one standard and that both differe in scoring but that' s a huuuuge difference)

presentation: cut scenes are not well done, the animation of characters sometimes get redicilulous nothing memorable (if i remember)

GRaphic: they are not impressive at all, sometimes they are beautiful but sometimes thay are really ugly and i' m not talking about the quality but the design...

Characters: your hero doesn' t speak , ugly and lack of charisma and half of the other characters as well except they are not mute :)

Gameplay: combat system is cool at first but then it gets boring repeating the same stuff again and again... the action is slow you feel sometimes its boring ... and if the game was intersting i would beat it but i just gave it up at say 70% (could not understand that 9.9)

scenario: IGN said that its strongest point, as far as i played nothing was captivating again if it was i would have finished it as i did for all the great games but i didn' t and that just proves to me something ....

that was extremely disapointing from IGN and i thought they were more professionals than throwing out that score ?? so i wonder is it just a mistake or are there hidden hands behind that score??? not talking only about JADe empire but some other games that were overhyped or under scored....
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Sometimes you get the impression that some critics are bribed... - Sep 22, 2005 19:22
You have to understand that each reviewer is different, and will gain something different from their experience with a game. Same goes for people' s different tastes in movies. You ever heard the phrase, " One man' s trash is another man' s treasure?" . That definitely applies when it comes to game and movie reviews, hell just reviews in general. An example would be my love for Virtua Quest and the rest of the industry' s total disdain for the game. I gave the game a good rating cause I really liked it despite its flaws. I became one with the game and enjoyed it a great deal while MOST other places just panned the game to hell and back..

Me being a Sega fan had absolutely nothing to do with it cause in my Sega Ages: Golden Axe review and Sega Ages: Hokuto no Ken review game, I ripped those games to shreds... It' s more than likely that the IGN writer of the Jade Empire review was completely enthralled by the game and gave it such a high score because to him the game was just THAT awesome.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 23 Sep 05 3:23:42 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Sometimes you get the impression that some critics are bribed... - Sep 22, 2005 19:43
Actually he got some points,Swedens biggest gaming magazine wrote that they couldn' t review... i think the game was " Mafia" and they wanted to review it one week before release,but they just couldn' t but they never said why.
Then one month later the editor for superplay(tobias bjarneby) explained that the developer demanded good scores and the game on the front of the magazine and none other text was supposed to be on it then mafia,if they want to review it,a week before release.
THAT IS JUST CRAZY!!!
That cant be the first time something like that happaned can it?
We also sen driver developer people pretending to be member and complaining on scores that was not good enough for them at forums...

If you think about it reviews that comes out early might have accepted some bribe.
And also when you see commercial from a game that they reviews it often got good scores.

Also gamespot co-work with sony as shown in their budget,thats why tony hawk to ps2 got 10/10 and psp is shown very often on " THE SPOT" .
And why they often trash xbox and xbox360 but give crazy good feed back for all sony stuff.

I think gamespot need to get clean or explain atleast why they co-work with sony,as i saw in their budget rapport.
And not with other companies.
Its like gaming isn' t serious...
I mean that is a huge news i give here,and people should take it seriously...
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 23 Sep 05 3:54:33 >
Jartsu

• Total Posts : 16
RE: Sometimes you get the impression that some critics are bribed... - Sep 22, 2005 21:30
I think for sure alot of them rate the games as high because they are getting paid by someone...whether it be sony, microsoft, or the publishers, and maybe even the creators...
I take all my reviews with a grain of salt and actually the bigger the company (gamespot, ign) the more I dont trust there opinion. and on top of that Ign just got bought out by good ol Media dictator Rupurt Merdock...and I dont believe anything of that Fox`s propaganda...

Ps I am not a dirty hippy
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Sometimes you get the impression that some critics are bribed... - Sep 23, 2005 01:45
Well DJs have been paid and are getting paid to play songs on the radio by record companies. Movie critics have been paid money to give better reviews. Books become best sellers before they are even being sold. I have never seen any confirmed corruption cases for video games but considering with all other media there have been bribes to get better ratings I would be an idiot to think video games are exempt.

It might not be the actual company gamespot getting paid by sony, but maybe just some of the reviewers. I' m sure other companies and reviewers are getting bribed too. I think I remember an article in either pc gamer or official dreamcast magazine of a company offering to pay them for higher reviews. Of course they wouldn' t put it in there if they accepted the bribe, but who is to say someone else didn' t later.

I' m not saying the IGN or gamespot reviews of jaded empire were bribed, I haven' t even looked at them. I' m just saying there is definetly some corruption going on. Don' t get the wrong idea that I' m saying all are corrupt either.

I also trust the smaller review sights a more too, less chance they are getting paid if they are less known.
Auron

• Total Posts : 157
RE: Sometimes you get the impression that some critics are bribed... - Sep 23, 2005 02:04
As the saying goes: one mans meat is another mans poison! and of course this rings true as many people have different tastes. Regarding Jade Empire, IGN may have found the problems that the game has to be nothing more than niggles, whilst others may find them detrimental to their fun. Although it was a tad overated, I still pretty much agree with IGN' s review as I was sucked in to Empires world and couldn' t get out until completion had been achieved, suffice to say, I couldn' t find much at all to fault with the game. The fact is that a review is the opinion of an individual and it' s an impossability that everyone is going to agree with them.
< Message edited by Auron -- 23 Sep 05 10:05:34 >
Abasoufiane

RE: Sometimes you get the impression that some critics are bribed... - Sep 23, 2005 04:45
well well well i was expecting that kind of answers " taste differs from one another" but hey this si a professional business and taste alone does not stand... ok go ahead and give high scores to all games and say that you like them and that' s your taste for these games!! come on Terry Bogard this is not how things are supposed to be .... taste has a certain range in score and for me if a game got 9.9 that means it' s a " chef d' oeuvre" something you cannot forget for years and " most of people cannot forget for years" .... zelda ocarina of time, final fantasy 7, first resident evil etc... no you cannot put jade empire stand with that games because you just soooo fond of it and that' s your taste nobody can change it... this is a professional world and for that matter IGN should really look to that score and make sure that the game really deserve what it got ...

Hell nobody even talk about that game how come it would deserve 9.9 ???
QuezcatoL

RE: Sometimes you get the impression that some critics are bribed... - Sep 23, 2005 05:04
Ign often give high scores,but gamespot is weird...if you thought 9.9 was wrong,then 10/10 on tony hawk to ps2 from gamespot is even worse...
Boss Hogg

• Total Posts : 299
RE: Sometimes you get the impression that some critics are bribed... - Sep 23, 2005 05:04
Jade Empire is a good game dont get me wrong but later on in the game it gets relly repetitive and easy. Theirs no way it should of got a 9.9 by IGN. the game definatley has flaws and is not nowhere near perfect. Now if they make a second one thats longer then maybe that will deserve a near perfect score MAYBE.
Abasoufiane

RE: Sometimes you get the impression that some critics are bribed... - Sep 23, 2005 05:29

Jade Empire is a good game dont get me wrong but later on in the game it gets relly repetitive and easy. Theirs no way it should of got a 9.9 by IGN. the game definatley has flaws and is not nowhere near perfect

you sum it up Boss Hogg

as for what you said Quezcatol, tony hawk 2 is a specific type of game and can only be compared to Skateboard games so when you see 10, you should think that it is perfect in its way, not much competition in tht field after all, plus the game really scored high in other critics so if it didn' t deserve 10 then 9 would be more appropriate ... (sadly gamespot is not that precise in scoring)

This is not the same story with Jade empire since this si a RPG and this type of game is a lot more serious because it implies so many things, almost everything is important and the competition is so tough not only by RPG' s but also By adventure games in general... but anyway my point is not discussing Jade empire after all, it' s just that some reviewers really abuse and that just irritates me, the weird thing is that i agreee with 90% of reviews that iGN does but from time to time they come up with a biig surprise ...
QuezcatoL

RE: Sometimes you get the impression that some critics are bribed... - Sep 23, 2005 05:35
Well how many games are about chinese fantasy?
And are placed in china and got kung fu fighting style mixed with magic?
Ak1ra

• Total Posts : 13
RE: Sometimes you get the impression that some critics are bribed... - Sep 23, 2005 08:20
jade empire is great for people who like the time/period the game is placed in...for me it was a great game, maybe not a 9.9 but more than 9.0 for sure

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll