Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Comic book films
Smiaras

• Total Posts : 49
Comic book films - Jun 30, 2004 09:22
We' ve had a rash of them recently and it has to be said that the majority of them suck. Why do any of you reckon that there is such a poor translation from the page to the big screen? Also which comic books would you like to see on the big screen soon?

In my opinion the reason why these films fail is because they stray from the comic so much. Hollywood bigwigs reckon that they somehow have to spend an hour of every movie either introducing us to the characters or puting a spin on it for the new millenium.

In terms of introducing the characters failing X-Men falls into this category, with some of the cinema going public being unfamiliar with the heroes/villians a lot of time in the first movie was dedicated to introducing us to them. However I think they spread themselves too thin and included too many characters. This in my opinion is espeicially evident in the second movie where a glut of new characters are introduced again. As a result more time is wasted and instead of orming bonds with the various actors involved we' re trying to keep up with who' s who. It doesn' t take a genius to see that Wolverine was the most popular chacarter of both movies. He got plenty of screen time but then why detract from Scott Summers/etc by introducing people like Colossus whose on screen for a couple of minutes. It is particularly perplexing in light of the fact that there is likely to only be one more movie, the kids are obviously going to get a bigger feature in that so what exactly is the point of someone like Colossus, espeicially when they' re dropping spoilers of a possible relationship between Storm and Nightcrawler.

Okay this has turned into a long rant, but how and ever I must continue. Fans of Spiderman, Punisher or Superman (if the rumours are to be believed about the upcoming film' s script) are only too vocal about changes from the original storyline. Using Spiderman as an example, why didn' t they just use the nineties cartoon to make a script. I loved the first series and thought that they could have easily based the films in the same fashion. Sure it may not be so original but I' d rather see them use one of the comic book storylines as the script just to see it recreated on the big screen. Daredevil was just pathetic, all the characters had changed and the whole thing reeked.

On upcoming films I can' t wait to see Batman begins because Nolan is seemingly sticking to the original storyline rather than going for mass market appeal. I' d love to see Preacher hit the big screen, Affleck should have gone ahead and filmed that instead of Dogma. Dopes anyone know if the project is still getting the rumoured go-ahead with the actor who plays Scott Summers in X-men cast in the lead?
RavenShadow

• Total Posts : 680
RE: Comic book films - Jun 30, 2004 11:43
I do like comic books movies. Not necessarily because they did such a great job on the movie but because it is a comic book movie.
It is nice for those of us that like comic books for our interests to hit a more mainstream area; however, even though I did like most of the movies I still think that they need to do more of their homework on the characters and storylines to improve how well they present the story accurately rather than just making it more appealing to the people that never got into comics
Xtreme

• Total Posts : 272
RE: Comic book films - Jun 30, 2004 14:30
Batman - best ever!

Unbreakable - also awesome!
RCOrcutt

• Total Posts : 27
RE: Comic book films - Jun 30, 2004 17:31
I think that whoever made the comic book (if alive) should make the movie.
MAybe have a co-director to help them do the technical stuff but i would like to see the writer become the director.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll