Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Games of the year
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 36
Calintz

• Total Posts : 321
Games of the year - Jan 02, 2007 22:32
I have more, but this is all I can think of for now. Perhaps I' ll add to it as my mind recovers from the Christmas and New Year period.

In no particular order and written in the style of a magazine (because I felt like it)

Here are mine:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Oblivion is an astounding achievement, both technically and mechanically. Stepping out of your first dungeon and being greeted by a sprawling countryside just waiting to be explored has been likened to other widely recognised memorable moments such as exploring Ocarina of Time’s Hyrule field for the first time. The game is vast in other aspects too, such as the generous amount of side-quests, which are perhaps more entertaining than following the main story. Like every game, Oblivion has its flaws, but the good far outweighs the bad and it certainly will without doubt remain as one of the XBOX 360’s finer moments for its entire lifecycle.

Dragon Quest: Journey of The Cursed King

The mechanics in Journey of The Cursed King are archaic and if not for the wonderful cel-shaded graphics and sweeping orchestral musical score, you could so easily have been playing an RPG from all the way back in the eighties. The otherwise long in the tooth mechanics are wonderfully refined here though and every level up, makes your characters feel significantly stronger for the satisfyingly challenging battles that lie ahead. The story too is old fashioned, albeit told with a certain flair, that consists of wonderfully written conversations and voice-acting that is a true pleasure to listen to.

Saints Row

Saints Row does driving and shooting better than most similar games. Both aspects are equally as satisfying as one another and the activities, which involve a great variety of different tasks are generally good fun. On the other hand the online options offer some genuinely fresh ideas, with a personal favourite being blinged out ride, a team based mode, where the objective is to upgrade your car before your opponent does.

BLACK

We all know how capable the people at Criterion are at crafting amazing car crashes on the Burnout series, but earlier this year they turned their attention to another genre, the First Person Shooter. BLACK was the explosive results from the Guildford-based EA studio wizards, a satisfying FPS that looked amazingly good and sounded superb. Gunfights often result in vision impairing smoke, and much of the environments can be defaced by your big beefy and astonishingly detailed guns. BLACK is definitely one of the FPS highlights of 2006.

Your turn now.
< Message edited by Calintz -- 2 Jan 07 14:33:04 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 01:10
Gears of War
Amazing next-gen graphics, amazing art direction, extremely fun to play. Ability to play with or against a friend. A great game in every way.
Zelda Twilight Princess
I played the GCN version and despite the lack of Wii-mote control the game felt fresh and exciting. Graphics are good for the GCN, art direction is amazing, gameplay is near perfect as always. Finally a Zelda game where the story is a little deeper than the old " save the princess" theme.

Those games are almost each other' s opposites but they' re both fantastic.

If I had played Final Fantasy XII I would' ve probably chosen it too but that' s just speculation.
Calintz

• Total Posts : 321
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 01:28
I agree with your choices ginjirou. How on earth did I forget to include those two fine games?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 01:51
Xbox 360
Gears of War
Oblivion
GRAW
Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Call of Duty: 2 " Game of the Year Edition"

PSP
Daxter
Tokobot
Gitaroo Man Lives
MGS: Portable Ops (BUYING MY PSP TODAY B17CH3S!!!)

PS2
MGS: Subsistance
Okami

Wii/Virtual Console
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Gunstar Heroes (VC)
(I thought it unfair to list Mario 64 )

Xbox
Black

PS3
Resistance: Fall of Man

Yeah, umm... Xbox & PS3 had a really bad year & a really bad start, respectively.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 2 Jan 07 18:23:39 >
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 01:57
Teh only games I can really think of are:

360 Oblivion and Dead Rising
PSP GTA VCS and Air combat

I would say both CoD 2 and 3 but I fear I will be chastised relentlessly for liking them also Star Wars Lego was quite good as a multiformat game.
< Message edited by alijay034 -- 2 Jan 07 18:03:01 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 02:08

I would say both CoD 2 and 3 but I fear I will be chastised relentlessly for liking them
CoD 2 was an awesome game dude, but it was from 2005. Well, I suppose you could get away with naming the " game of the year edition" In fact...

There we go, post edited.

Call of Duty: 3 is really good online, but single player blows monkey chunx compared to 2.[:' (] A Game of the Year has to have both IMO.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 2 Jan 07 18:22:59 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 02:43
Tekken Dark Resurrection deserves a spot at my list as well.
Best Tekken yet, best portable fighter ever. Dare I say it' s the best PSP game so far? I think so!
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 02:58

Tekken Dark Resurrection deserves a spot at my list as well.
Best Tekken yet, best portable fighter ever. Dare I say it' s the best PSP game so far? I think so!

Fool!, clearly you havent played Mpo yet. I Laugh at you at Fart in your General direction!
Shikashi

• Total Posts : 196
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 03:19
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence;
- Metal Gear Solid: Portable OPS;

Fanboy' ish enough for you?
< Message edited by Shikashi -- 2 Jan 07 19:20:24 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 03:45
Okay...

1.Gears of war
2.Oblivion
3.Medival total war 2
4.NW2
5.Rainbowsix las vegas
6.GRAW
7.Table Tennis
8.N3
9. <--- put in any crap game like a wii or ps3
10. <----- =II=
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 06:13
Gears of War or Oblivion. Nothing else comes close
fernandino

• Total Posts : 661
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 06:50
Mine are:

1: Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance <--- in Japanes its just the perfect game
2: Okami
3: Oblivion even tho the hole voice acting its made by just 3 guys
4: Resistance: Fall of Man
5: Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
6: GTR2
7: GRAW
8: Gears of War
9: Guild Wars
10: Tekken Dark Resurrection

havent played Zelda TP
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 07:10

1. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2. Gears of War
3. Oblivion
4. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
5. Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 (Best fighter I have played this year).
6. Dark Messiah (Forgive the bugs and some other issues...but action was fast, frantic, and superb).
7. Lumines Live...still can' t stop playing it from time to time.

I only have 7, not many others come to mind...but videowise (not ones I have played) it would go.

8. Okami
9. Elebits
10. Resistance: Fall of Man
< Message edited by Alecrein -- 2 Jan 07 23:10:58 >
fernandino

RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 07:18

ORIGINAL: Alecrein

6. Dark Messiah (Forgive the bugs and some other issues...but action was fast, frantic, and superb).

goddamn, this game dissapoint me so bad, i was so sad
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 09:23

goddamn, this game dissapoint me so bad, i was so sad

Never set your expectations high and you won' t be disappointed...not to say you shouldn' t be excited for things :)
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 11:48

1: Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance <--- in Japanes its just the perfect game
2: Okami
3: Oblivion even tho the hole voice acting its made by just 3 guys
4: Resistance: Fall of Man
5: Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops
6: GTR2
7: GRAW
8: Gears of War
9: Guild Wars
10: Tekken Dark Resurrection

Resistance over Gears and GRAW? Fanboy much?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 12:52
for 2005 my vote goes to COD2 and Geometry Wars, for 2006 my vote is for Oblivion.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 3 Jan 07 6:16:31 >
fernandino

RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 13:56

ORIGINAL: immortaldanmx

Resistance over Gears? Fanboy much?

have u even played the damn game??? the weapons are alot better, the sound its better, the online play its better, the boss battles are better, and the plot its better, i have said it before, TO ME Resistance its better than GoW, u dont have to listen to stupid bullshit like " dude thats classic" , " ill take those" " now im pissed" " that was sattifiying" " thats bullshit" gears of wars its a good game, a great game but there are some thing that really annoy me, like 2/3 of the weapons are really usseles, the granes take too long to be thrown, and if u r sprinting u get stucked everywhere, and im tired of fucking noobs getting raped by the chainsaw by people who take the win from me.

The co-op its awesome tho.

It has nothing to do with the xbox, i love GRAW and Oblivion even tho i played that game on PC. GRAW its an awesome game but i did like Resistance better.
< Message edited by fernandino -- 3 Jan 07 6:03:04 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 14:15
I agree that GOW has a few serious gaming flaws. Multiplayer for one thing is just boring and the regular campaign is too short. Once you beat Insane, the game loses most of it' s appeal. The only reason I haven' t sold my copy is because they are supposed to have some free maps.
fernandino

RE: Games of the year - Jan 03, 2007 14:40
I like the game because it looks fantastic, i dont know it looks so clear snd filled with detail, i like it, even tho sometimes i get all dizzy and makes me want to puke.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 36

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message