Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 49
City Hunter

• Total Posts : 40
4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 20, 2005 06:53
in a recent interview, Michael Cassius said that also non HD TV will be supported, but 4:3 TV will habe black borders (like when you play a DVD on a 4:3 TV).

It' s ridiculous, many and may people in Europe still have 4:3 TVs, and Microsoff oblige us to change TV.

I Say " NO" to Microsoft
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 20, 2005 07:12
That' s funny, I always thought europe was ahead of NA on the whole 16:9 tv thing. I' d say only 1 in a 100 people here have a 16:9 tv, with that ratio being slightly lower among gamers, but still of all the gamers I know (a lot) I' m the only one with a 16:9 tv. the black bar issue sucks.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 20, 2005 08:12
The amount of letterboxing that would be present would be slightly LESS than Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube. Did you have a problem with that?

There are a few sights (Kikizo included) that are whining about the HDTV support thingy for all of the consoles (Nintendo has said Revolution will support HDTV as well). They are only whining because they don' t have HDTV' s. With videogames finally ebracing the technology in full force, this will definitely help sell more HDTVs, which in turn will increase their production and lower their prices. It is a good thing. There is no " bad" about it. I know some of you want to stick with the ancient technology forever, but you can' t. We must move forward. You don' t have to buy an HDTV right away, but when you do you' ll have some great games ready to take advantage of your new set. If you refuse to buy an HDTV just because you are not ready for this crazy newfangled technology, then you deserve the obsolesence that you will eventually receive. Just don' t go into a panic. You have more time than you think to make the switch, and the letterboxing will not destroy you.

Just as an aside, all Sega Master System games were letterboxed. Every single one of them. The SMS could change the color of the bars, though.
Owain

• Total Posts : 91
RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 20, 2005 08:57
aye you really cant buy any large 4:3 TV' s here in the UK anymore only the little 21" ones and even those are been replaced by widescreen ones.
I kinda expected this saves the developers a bit of time, didn' t Halo 2 have a messed up HUD in widescreen as it had been made with 4:3 in mind.
I think i' ll get a HDTV for when the PS3 is release, I' ll be in Uni by then looks like i' ll be wasting a big slice of my student loan
mxpx182

RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 20, 2005 10:13
I agree Joe, I' m not saying there' s anyting bad about the 16:9 support, or HDTV, just too bad that games won' include a 4:3 mode as well. I suppose this could lead to problems however if developers are developing games specifically ofr 16:9 and the stuff they want you to see won' t all fit on 4:3.
Russian Mobster

• Total Posts : 357
RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 20, 2005 13:40
they should get rid of 4:3 tv' s.Its the 21st century.look at the future leave the past behind.Microsoft is pushing the technology forward.

But since most of you gamers are just cheap ppl who dont work and cant afford a decent HDTV' s.

Thats good that they dont really support 4:3 tvs.No one needs extra crap on the system.Its like those gay VHS,DVD player combos.
< Message edited by russian mobster -- 20 May 05 21:41:18 >
Joe Redifer

RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 20, 2005 15:58
Let' s not get too elitist here (a little is OK) otherwise it' ll just make everyone hate people with HDTVs.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 20, 2005 16:00
HDTV, eh? why get one? what is the point for shelling out the cash for an oversized tv? seriously, all i want is a tv that can play the games, a good cheap 14" will do [which i have now] but i suppose it does hamper my experiance a little bit, might get a 28" widescreen. Its not that i dont like HDTV but since you have saved all the money, waited for the price to come down, and finally got the damn thing, another new craze sweeps the country and suddenly haveing an HDTV is regarded outdated. I am sorry, the only time i will shell out for a new tv is when my one is int supported.
Joe Redifer

RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 20, 2005 17:44
HDTVs aren' t oversized. HDTV only means increased resolution. I' ve seen HDTVs as small as 12 inches. When you get your " widescreen" TV, you might as well get an HDTV. In fact it might be pretty hard to get a non-HD widescreen TV unless you go out of your way and get a plasma EDTV.

It will be a loooong time before HDTV is outdated. They will probably come out with something higher res eventually. More and more TVs will start supporting 1080p.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 21 May 05 1:46:29 >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 20, 2005 21:17

HDTVs aren' t oversized. HDTV only means increased resolution. I' ve seen HDTVs as small as 12 inches. When you get your " widescreen" TV, you might as well get an HDTV. In fact it might be pretty hard to get a non-HD widescreen TV unless you go out of your way and get a plasma EDTV.

Ahh good I was just about to ask you the different HDTV sizes available! Must look into the price range of 20-27 inch HDTVs if they have em yet... If they' re in the $500+ range then I' m gonna need to email Yu Suzuki and beg him to send me one since I' m one of the VERY few people that truly enjoyed Virtua Quest and continuously promotes that game
Joe Redifer

RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 20, 2005 22:47
My HDTV is 34" , and it is a Sony Wega XBR (basically the top of the line direct view CRT). It cost $2000. My friend pruchased a 30" Sony Wega HDTV and it cost $1000, but it didn' t have the built in tuner, and also no XBR, etc. But it is good. Sony is usually priced a bit high, but a 27" widescreen HDTV without tuner will probably run you around $700-$800 on average right now. You can still watch analog channels on it, though.

It is also important to note that old games which play in 240p like Genesis, Snes, everything before those systems, and the majority of PS and Saturn games do NOT look good on an HDTV at all. I can post pics if you' d like. Keep an old 4:3 NTSC analog TV around for those games and systems.

Another important thing is to make sure the HDTV you are considering supports 480p, 720p, and 1080i. This is why I recommend Sony TVs. Sony makes crap that falls apart right out of the box, but their TVs have no " moving parts" so they actually work pretty darn good! I think Mitsubishi' s (not sure) do not support 720p AT ALL. Some TVs only allow for certain resolutions on certain inputs. Sony HDTVs will all resolutions over both component inputs, and they also always have an HDMI input (something else to look for).

It may sound expensive, but Terry can just sue a few more people at his day job and he' ll have the cash in no time! :)
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 21, 2005 06:34
hey joe how come old consoles [snes etc] look horrible for the hdtv, i know they werent meant to be put on something like that, but it should work right?
mxpx182

RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 21, 2005 08:50
That' s a sweet TV you got there Joe, I would' ve liked to have gotten that one, but just didn' t have the cash. I have the Toshiba 30HFX84. I was going to get the 34 inch, but space restrictions forced me to go with the 30 inch. It has bbeautiful picture, but unfortuantely one of the cost saving devices was no 720p. I don' t miss it now, but I probably will in the future. I got it for 999 Canadian though, so I really shouldn' t be complaining at all. As for finding 27 inch widescreen tv' s cheep, you won' t, they don' t make 27 inch, only 26 inch (Punch me in the face now for being a stickler). I did see the toshiba 26HF84 WITH a toshiba carosel DVD player going for 499 canadian at future shop. This is a smaller tv, but sorry, that price is just rediculous. It has a few less features again, but if someones looking for a cheap HDTV you can' t get cheaper than that.

And Also Silientbomber, I can agree with Joe that old stuff looks like crap on HDTV. Even Standard Definition stuff from your cable box the imperfections stick out.
riddick_kawaii

• Total Posts : 2
RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 21, 2005 10:53
Join Us !!!!!
Post here if you join after you have seen this
http://www.greenhillzone.co.uk/index.php?act=ST&f=21&t=551&st=0#entry9122
mxpx182

RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 21, 2005 14:10
That' s great Riddick, come to our forums only to post twice in two seperate messages for us to come and join our forums. I' m so glad you stayed on topic at least.

BAN[:' (]
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 21, 2005 15:33
I think Microsoft is making the right decision. Just like when they eschewed dial-up modems in favor of broadband, they are taking gaming to the next level. Plus, it' s not like you can' t play the games on a 4:3 tv. They' re just letterboxed. Of course this is easy for me to say, as I like the 16:9 aspect ratio, and always bought letterboxed dvds, even before I had a HDtv.

Take a look at this.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000247033123/

Nice. And the price is right, too. I' m all for slimming these things down, cause my Sony HD is a b**** to move!
Joe Redifer

RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 21, 2005 18:49
The reason old systems look like crap on HDTV sets is becase all of those systems ran in 240p, or progressive scan. Unfortunately this is not a form of progressive scan that HDTVs recognize. It is kind of a " cheat" to get lower resolution out of an analog NTSC or PAL TV and still have it look good. When this 240p signal is input to an HDTV, it is converted to 480i (or 525i in the case of PAL or SECAM, which no one cares about). This gives the image a very aliased and blocky look.

Take a look at the pics below. Both pictures used the same SNES, the same ActRaiser cartridge, and the same S-Video cable. Both TVs were made by Sony. Both pictures were taken at an angle (left looking right). Notice that we never got a ActRaiser sequel, but anally raped instead.

Here is ActRasier on a normal analog NTSC TV

And here is ActRaiser on an HDTV. Yucky yuck!

Games that run in at least 480p look freakin' awesome on an HDTV, though. Even games that run in only 480i (most PS2 games) look pretty good.
mxpx182

RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 21, 2005 21:18

Notice that we never got a ActRaiser sequel, but anally raped instead.

It still hurts when I sit. My cousins bought that game that they put the " ActRaiser 2" name on. fools.
Mr_Vandelay

• Total Posts : 17
RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 21, 2005 22:36
It' s great news that Microsoft is launching the HD-era, though you can' t really appreciate it unless you' ve blown a few thousand on an HD-ready set yourself. The difference between gaming on your old 19-inch CRT and a 51-inch LCD is staggering.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: 4:3 TV? Don' t Buy Xbox360 - May 22, 2005 00:30
At wal-mart i saw a 27 inch CRT hdtv 3:4 720p for only $300. And in the USA they are forcing all air waves to go HDTV in 2007 or something, so you' ll basically have to have one, unless u get one of those converters. Anyways, they are going down in price. There are also other options, such as viewsonic adapters to turn your montior into a HDTV. They cost less than $200, but it was well worth it. I use my 22 inch monitor to play xbox games along with my computers 5.2 surround sound.

You don' t even need to buy an HDTV and surround sound system. Just get a Platinum version of a sound blaster card, so you can input optical dobly digital 5.1, and the viewsonic HDTV adapter. Use your computers high def and surround sound capabilities. If you don' t already have the parts for it it' ll cost you less than $300, instead of $3,000, it is deffinetly worth it.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 49

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message