Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Hideo Kojima & MGS4
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 49
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 04:13
Ok, so we all saw the MGS4 trailer displayed at E3 (did anyone get there?) and watched Kojima prove it was running in realtime in a demonstration at TGS. But what is the game going to play like?!

In a blog on the companies website a couple of weeks ago he stated that' s a new system, which he refers to under the code name of " XXXX," has been implemented in the game' s development environment. Apparently, upon seeing this new system, the Kojima Production staffers exclaimed " Aah, now this is next generation!" .

Supposedly this new system, if implemented correctly, will give the game a different flavor from Metal Gear Solid, and will " likely be an industry first.."

Now i' m seriously interested in what he' s gonna do. MGS4 looks amazing, but i keep having to remind myself that it' s just a real-time cutscene, an all MGS cutscenes look nicer than when you' re playing it.

I don' t think he' s talking about a view change, rather something to do with Snakes eyepiece. Now i know PS3 will support 2 screens and i know Metal Gear Ac!d can be played with a set of funky goggle things to make it look 3D. Could Snake see the little Otacon robo thingy from the trailer, with his right eye? Something akin to Ghost Recons HUD where you can see other team members. Perhaps Snake will use it to scout ahead.

My point is more of a question, does anyone think Kojima is planning to impliment a dual-screen display for MGS4, and if so, how?
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 04:32
That would require the player to have at least two televisions available for the PS3. I don' t know if they are brave (or stupid) enough to require such from a buyer. The game will sell bad if they do like that and I don' t think they want that.
I think that the dual-screen (DS anyone? ) setup has to be made optional in the games. And since Kojima seems to put lots of focus on this new system, I doubt it will be something optional. I think his new system have something to do with gameplay, or perhaps a smaller peripheral that could be included in the package with the game.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 04:56
I see your point. It' d be interesting if it was optional though!

What' s your take on MGS4 then?

On another note, is using that insanly big controller the only way to play Steel Batallion?
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 05:56
when people trashtalking dualscreen,let me ask you why?!
What is wrong with a ps3 playing on 2 tvs at the same time?
Mayby it work for lan?
1 ps3 for 2 tvs,what would be bad about that?
We seen mgs3 taking online form,probably 4 will have it too,and wouldn' t it be nice if we could play lan 3vs3 death match on the same ps3?
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 06:40
nice quezcatol i like the idea although it' ll ve very expensive, but can' t ps3 display just on two regular TV' s that would be a lot more interesting to me , it' s even awesome !!

back to the subject, i think that the system Kojima was talking about has to do with a program not a hardware... may be some kind of coding program that will enhance considerable the graphics or may be the animation or the interaction or may be the A.I .... that' s what i think
< Message edited by abasoufiane -- 9 Jan 06 17:08:05 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 08:38
I' m sure it can be shown on regular TV.
ginjirou

RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 09:40
I agree that it would be awesome if a game like MGS4 or any other game could be run on several TV' s but it' s just to much to ask for from the player. That' s why I prefer such features as optional.
I don' t think Kojimas system will enhance A.I. or graphics since he says it' s an " industry first" . It would be quite difficult to call a graphic or A.I. enhancing system that, no matter how revolutionizing it is.
My bet is that the system is enhanced gameplay or some kind of smaller peripheral. It will truly be interesting to see what it really is. Eye-Toy compatible maybe?
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 10:01

Abasoufiane back to the subject, i think that the system Kojima was talking about has to do with a program not a hardware... may be some kind of coding program that will enhance considerable the graphics or may be the animation or the interaction or may be the A.I .... that' s what i think

...good guess....

...here' s a recent, well informed article about the subject:

The plan is to make the game' s overall world more interactive and realistic than ever. " I want to create [a] kind of simulation world. [For example, in most games you have a tree but it' s basically a piece of plastic; a set piece.] There should be life in that tree. If we water the tree it will grow, if we burn the tree it will die." (2)

Kojima has implied that you will be able to drive vehicles for the first time in the series. " We will try to make Snake control anything that' s possible." (4)

There will be a " psychological aspect" to the game. " There is an intense fear when you point a gun at someone. I want to represent that in MGS4...that' s what real combat is all about." Kojima plans on consulting a real psychologist in order to flesh out this aspect.(1) He also says that the A.I. will be so realistic-so much like playing against other real people-that using psychology against them will be crucial.(2) The bad guys will use it against you, too; Kojima gave an example of the new Metal Gear robots (in the second MGS4 trailer) emitting various peaceful countryside noises (including cicada, horse, and cow noises) to lull the player into a false sense of ease before attacking.(2)

Not all characters in MGS4 will be enemies. You may step into a battlefield between two foreign powers-depending on your actions or whom you kill, you can make friends or enemies with one or both countries (and thus their soldiers in the battlefield). What you do in one stage can also affect later stages of the game; if you help one country defeat another in a level, the defeated country may not be around in the next mission. There will also be innocent people not directly involved in the conflict in the war zone.(1)

The MGS4 team is planning to include a feature that allows you to control Otacon' s robot to scout ahead, although it may not happen if the team decides it doesn' t work well.(4)

The Close Quarters Combat (or CQC) system from MGS3 will return in some form in the game.(4)

But as for the healing, hunting, and camouflage systems from MGS3, " Some of them might carry on into MGS4, but since the theme is battlefield, we might implement them differently," says Kojima. " We will try to create a system that is best suited for that battlefield. There' s bullets flying around everywhere, so you don' t have time to go hunting for a frog to eat."
ginjirou

RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 10:06
Hmm, well it seems he wants to enhance just about everything from graphics to A.I. to physics. But I don' t get where this " industry first" thing could be in the picture...
Industry first sounds like something we have never thought about before. But enhanced physics, A.I. and graphics, I mean, isn' t that to be expected?
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 10:29
Its all hype-talk (most likely turn out to be a PSP-link aspect), i dont expect any gameplay groundbreaking from PS3/360 as they have the same foundations as their predecessors, (standard left/right analogue joypads, which have been used/experiemnted to death), only maybe advanced AI and graphics/environments details, but certainly not gameplay-wise..

The Revolution is clearly designed for groundbreaking gameplay not PS3.. (we know Hideo is working on a game for Revolution)
Abasoufiane

RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 10:43
ginjirou

about " first in the industry" , there was once where " pixel shaders" were first in the industry,
take for exemple the animatyion , " motion capture" was once first in the industry

and what is that latest technology that said to be implemented in Oblivion and some other games, it has to do with plants how they grow and how they should look . if for exemple i can see a plant in the begining of X game and that same plant has grown by the end of the game, wouldn' t that be a first in the industry ???

and there are so many exemple so you see? may be kojima created a system or a code call it what you want so that graphics will leave the rest to dust, or may be the AI and so on ...
Bishonen

RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 10:46
.... when it comes to industry hype, can anything beat the Revolution and it' s " revolutionary" controller?....

..you might think of Nintendo as a company amidst it' s home-console making death-throws... ..desperately trying to generate decent consumer interest, so that more than three people actually buy their new machine when it comes out....

....in my opinion, a game like Resident Evil 4, is ' revolutionary' and an ' industry first' .... ....Kijoma-san is surely capable of creating an action game just as innovative....
ginjirou

RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 10:47
PSP linking doesn' t sound " industry new" either. Maybe I should just give up on that word and assume it' s something boring everyone can easily think off. But then, it is Kojima we are talking about, not Sony. I have faith in him. Groundbreaking gameplay doesn' t necessarily come from new ways to control the games. New gameplay ideas and peripherals (PS2 had Eye-Toy, karaoke-mics, electric quitarrs, microphones, and such) can make a game groundbreaking as well. Nintendo has hyped gameplay=controller just as much as Sony has hyped gameplay=graphics. I think the middle way is the right way to go. A little if both.
Sony should have some credit for one thing you usually don' t think about: they were the first to use DUAL analog setup. It surprises me that Nintendo didn' t make an analog stick instead of c-buttons on the N64.
I think RE4 was revolutionary for its genre and the series but not for the entire industry.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 9 Jan 06 18:52:27 >
Bishonen

RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 11:37
....i think Resi 4 is revolutionary for two of the most popular genres in games today: 3rd Person Action/Adventure (where the series began) and FPS (since it plays a lot like one, but better).....

...considering how popular these formats are these days, it could be considered more or less revolutionary for the industry...
ginjirou

RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 11:43
But why is RE4 revolutionary? Sure, the quality is a step forward, it' s a next-gen game today, but it doesn' t bring anything new in gameplay or technology. It' s just amazingly good in any way. I can' t consider it an FPS though. That would make MGS, Headhunter Splinter Cell FPS games.
Abasoufiane

RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 11:54
RE4 is not revolutionary although it is an excellent game but there was no revolutionary idea, " almost" everything was done in a very good way

RE4 doesn' t play at all like an FPS, the guy doesn' t even staff left or right, and that' s it' s weakest point, RE4 control was not that good and i just finished the game two days ago, my memory is still fresh

one exemple of 3rd action game that plays a lot like FPS is Max payne series but certainly not resident evil even if you burst anything that moves
ginjirou

RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 11:59
I agree. I think an FPS has to have the ability to move the character and aim at the same time. This was unfortunately not possible in RE4 where you had to stand still in order to aim.
Bishonen

RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 12:12
...unlike Metal Gear or Splinter cell, the core gameplay mechanic in Resi 4 is shooting based......

...intelligent reloading, accurate aiming, specific targeting of various body parts, shooting enemy projectiles out of the air, individual weapon handling, customising etc...

...I think that it is the meeting of 3rd person and FPS which makes it so inspired .... ...and how these mechanics are implemented during the game..... the camera angle makes the game immersive but yet allows you to maintain a strong connection with the lead character (something which FPS can' t do, since you instantly forget who your supposed to be playing as once the cut-scenes end) .......

...actually Metal Gear does feel like an FPS in some sections...

EDIT:

This was unfortunately not possible in RE4 where you had to stand still in order to aim.

expect this to change in Resi 5
< Message edited by Bishonen -- 9 Jan 06 20:14:21 >
Abasoufiane

RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 12:17
ginjirou supported better my idea

now mister bishonen from where did you get this line , i swear i' ve seen it somewhere damn my head is hurting because of you

" (something which FPS can' t do, since you instantly forget who your supposed to be playing as once the cut-scenes end)"

oh maybe it was yourself in some other thread
Bishonen

RE: Hideo Kojima & MGS4 - Jan 09, 2006 12:20
.....yeah i have used that line before... ...but because it was so damm good i decided to use it again!..
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 49

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message