Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Games that managed to transcend generation boundries...
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 25
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 05, 2006 17:40
In your opinion, what games were so ahead of their time that they could have passed for launch titles in the subsequent generation, and why?
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 05, 2006 17:42
Resident Evil 4 could easily have been a launch title for the 360, everything in the game screams next gen, all that would have been needed was a slap of high resolution textureds and i would have made sure to grab it, even though i already completed the GCN version!
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 05, 2006 17:47
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory just had next-gen written all over it, particularly the
bump-mapped textures in the first level, the lighting effects are noticeably
well done, and I think this could have passed as a first generation title for the

Also Ninja Gaiden in 720p could have been a 1st generation title for the 360, with
a slap on of a few high res textures, a bit of self shadowing and slightly
enhanced light effects..
Anita

• Total Posts : 71
RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 05, 2006 17:59
Are we talking just graphics here or gameplay aswell?

because i would say Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 05, 2006 18:02

Are we talking just graphics here or gameplay aswell?

because i would say Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time

We are talking both i guess. I liked OoT but i dont see it as a GCN title, too much happened in the leap between the N64 and the GCN, but then again, OoT was a head of its time" !
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 05, 2006 18:02
Well the best looking xbox/ps2 games will be in pair with wii games.
'
Not the best looking wii games after some time though.
Anita

RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 05, 2006 18:11
Yeah you are right about that Vx Chemical, do you think we will ever see games that will brake the mold the way Zelda did.
Papado

• Total Posts : 234
RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 05, 2006 18:17
I think he means which games were advanced concept wise, not cosidering graphics. In that case, Shenmue was definitely ahead of it' s time; as was Virtua Fighter: I still enjoy playing that game today, and it' s still very well animated.
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 05, 2006 18:25
Ahem... Shenmue.
Tiz

RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 05, 2006 18:38

ORIGINAL: Dionysius

Ahem... Shenmue.

Goes without saying Dionysius..... goes without saying...
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 05, 2006 18:44
Gameplay-wise or graphically.

The best example i can give you is the original Half Life. The game changed fisrt person games forever and introduced a whole world of things that are now taken for granted.

As for consoles, and my choices...

...i think that...

Ninja Gaiden/Black
Chaos Theory
Black

...could have been 360 launch titles.

I think that Shadow of the Colossus was/is waaaaay ahead of it' s time, and with higher resolution textures, could easily have been a PS3 game. The animation in particular is superb!

Twilight Princess, as far as i' m concerned could have been a 1st generation next-gen title, and i still think it' s ahead of it' s time.
Anita

RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 05, 2006 20:36
True if it wasnt for half life games like HALO, RESISTANCE etc

wouldnt even be.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 06, 2006 00:28
Power Stones for the DC could have skyrocketed on one of the big three. Interacting with your environment in fighting games was completely new, and the visuals weren' t half bad either.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 06, 2006 00:39
here is my list of game i could think of that drop my jaw either Graphicaly or in gameplay to the point i would think it' s ahead of it' s time

Half life
Half life 2
Golden eye (absolutly)
resident evil 1
shadow of the colossus (in a way..)
doom 3 (pc)
splinter cell 3
Shenmue
Gran turismo 1
Gran turismo 3
Papado

• Total Posts : 234
RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 06, 2006 03:20
I think that the fact that SC 1 and 3 used the same engine is absolutely incredible.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 06, 2006 03:30
I' ll take it way back...

The Atari 2600 had certain control aspects, like four players, that were lost during the 8-bit days of NES and SMS. There was also a wireless controller for the 2600 that was manufactured but never released because they accidentally made its range too great (i.e., it could have interfered with someone else' s wireless controller down the street)! But that was very forward-thinking.

The Sega Master System version of Ninja Gaiden was pretty incredible for an 8-bit game.

Donkey Kong Country on the SNES definitely helped to save Nintendo from getting whipped by Sega in the 16-bit days.

Vector Man for the Megadrive/Genesis was pretty amazing at the time... Earthworm Jim also did a lot to raise the bar for art design and quality animation.
Tim Strickland

• Total Posts : 101
RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 06, 2006 08:37
SotC was so ahead of its time that the hardware it was made for can' t keep up!

Also, what about Fable? Not so much the actual game, but Molyneux' s concepts were so " next-gen" that he couldn' t implement it all correctly!
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 06, 2006 09:38
Shadow of The Colossus is the only one I can think of, if it was in high rez and had a proper framerate it could easily be a 360/PS3 game.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 6 Oct 06 1:38:48 >
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 06, 2006 09:56
Well its the usual suspects for me

Zelda OoT
SM64

Tiz

RE: Games that managed to transcend generation boundries... - Oct 06, 2006 10:06

ORIGINAL: Terrak

Well its the usual suspects for me

Zelda OoT
SM64

I think the generation leap was too far from N64 to.... Dreamcast that those titles
wouldn' t be considered as Next-Gen, but I think you' re getting the thread confused
with groundbreaking, as the aforementioned games are groundbreaking.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 25

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message