Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill...
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 55
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 00:34

WN: What is the future of the Silent Hill series?

AY: We' re making Silent Hill 5 for next-gen consoles. Are there any other platforms besides that? [laughter]

WN: There' s the Wii.

AY: Ah, the Wii. Wiiiiiiiiii... Silent Hill Wii. Can we do it? Will players like it?

WN: Yeah! There' s a lot of potential there, using the remote as a flashlight, or a knife...

AY: Yeah, there' s potential.

WN: But no plans.

AY: No plans. The Wii user isn' t a hardcore user.

LINK

LOL
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 01:00
I think the wii will rarely see big budget games, the wii' s reputation has determined its fate and software sales reinforce that since the same game on 360 sales much more, it' s obvious, granny and pappy won' t buy devil may cry 4 or resident evil 5 and the wii control isn' t revolutionary to allow those people to pick up the game, it' s not only about the control, the gameplay itself is complex, it requires reflexes and in occasions a lot of thinking (think zelda), so at the end, even if the controls are different it will appeal to the SAME people who know how to use a regular controller ...

so does the wii really expend the video game market the way it' s meant to be?? I don' t think so.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 02:23
Wii users arent hardcore enough for Viva Pinãta.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 02:28
I think another problem is that in games like Silent Hill or Resident Evil for that matter, the setting is very important, and it can be done prettier on another console.

If i could choose between a pretty game or a mediocre looking one, id choose the pretty one, and i bet the Wii mote wont put much to the table in a Resident Evil kinda game
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 02:51
Resident Evil looked pretty damn good on that ol' Gamecube!
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 04:06
Good news, a Port or version of Silent hill with tacked-on controls is something most Wii owners would rather not see.
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 04:23
WTF !! He doesnt know what he is talking about . VF is ' HARDCORE' ..
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 04:34
Your dam right, just Grabbed a newly released Zelda: Phantom Hourlass to keep me busy on the plane journey to a VF5 tournament.

Thats Hardcore

BB in a week or soo.
Marink

• Total Posts : 884
RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 05:39
This is exactly why the Wii is lacking any good 3rd Party games. Developers aren' t taking the damn thing seriously.

Stupid ***ing developers!

I guess it is kind of Nintendo' s fault for giving the Wii such a family friendly reputation...
< Message edited by Marink -- 20 Oct 07 21:43:18 >
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 05:40
The people behind Fatal Frame disagree then. This game is developed by a Western company now, isn' t it? Except for the music then I assume.

I sometimes wonder though...what IS a hardcore gamer? To me, games like Silent Hill etc aren' t hardcore. I mean, there are easy settings that make the game playable for everyone. When I think of hardcore I think of Ikaruga for example or shmups in general. Games were easy mode already is hard. And players dedicated to fighting games are another hardcore category to me. Ninja Gaiden is another example then.
Vx Chemical

RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 06:03

Resident Evil looked pretty damn good on that ol' Gamecube!

Definetly the prettiest game last gen yeah! But compare it to Gears of War, Killzone 2 and Mass Effect, its a ancient history.

ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 06:15
Not if you' re the kind of person who can appreciate amazing art direction more than the amount of polygons.
Vx Chemical

RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 06:41

Not if you' re the kind of person who can appreciate amazing art direction more than the amount of polygons.

Art direction is directly affected by the Polygon count. Say you could play RE4 either on the Wii, at its best power, or you could play it on the PS3 or 360 optimised and updated, a remake if you will.

The game would be a huge amount prettier on the later two!
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 06:59
Sorry Vx, but best looking game last gen was Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. And RE4 wasnt " artistic" or stylized, it was meant to be a realistic-looking small EU village.
Vx Chemical

RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 15:24

Sorry Vx, but best looking game last gen was Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. And RE4 wasnt " artistic" or stylized, it was meant to be a realistic-looking small EU village.

I well say RE was cooler looking the Chaos Theory, i guess its what you favor, there is nothing really setting either apart much.

I didnt call anything artistic or stylized, neither did Gin, Art direction is so also just subtle things.
Kikizos Troll

• Total Posts : 60
RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 15:25
HOLY SHIT!
ginjirou

RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 17:15

Art direction is directly affected by the Polygon count.

No, the concept art used for games are ideas of what a game world should look like and isn' t affected by polygons or technology at all. What technology can do is help developers make the image clearer but the core idea is always stronger than the technology that realises it. That' s why I (but obviously not you) can appreciate the visuals in games that are several years old.

And RE4 wasnt " artistic" or stylized, it was meant to be a realistic-looking small EU village.

Dumbass! Art direction isn' t just the overall style in terms of how realistically looking it is, it' s also how every object in the game is designed. Even though a game is realistic you still have to design things, the houses, the characters, the clothes and stuff. You have to choose what kind of look you want on them. And the combination of choices will together create the full artistic impression the game gives.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 21 Oct 07 9:17:08 >
Vx Chemical

RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 17:17

No, the concept art used for games are ideas of what a game world should look like and isn' t affected by polygons or technology at all. What technology can do is help developers make the image clearer but the core idea is always stronger than the technology that realises it. That' s why I (but obviously not you) can appreciate the visuals in games that are several years old.

So id like you to make a new game, on the original doom engine, where the art direction isnt suffering because of low polygon, or should i say no polygon count.

By your words, a game need not have changed from 10 years ago, since it was all fine and dandy to you?

Besides your an idiot, and putting words in my mouth i never said. I can appreiciate old games, i just dont appreciate new games looking like they were made 5 years ago.
< Message edited by vx chemical -- 21 Oct 07 9:20:26 >
ginjirou

RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 17:26
I haven' t played many games on the old doom engine.
But let' s take some games you probably think looks like crap... hmmm...
Ape Escape (PS1), Soul Calibur (DC), Zelda OOT (N64), Swat 3 (PC), Guardian Heroes (Saturn), Nights into Dreams (Saturn), Starcraft (PC), Final Fantasy VII (PS1), Batman (NES), Duck Tales 2 (NES), Castlevania (pick any of the 2D ones), Yoshi' s Island (SNES), Donkey Kong Country (SNES).
All of those games, and many more, impresses me with their visuals still today just as much as the latest games like Gears of War, Bioshock and and Killzone 2 does.
You may think I am a blind fool but I don' t care because it' s to my benefit.
And it' s not related to nostalgy either because I' ve played many really old games for the first time the past two years and I was still impressed by the visuals.

Of course, there is no denying the games would have looked even better on a next-gen console in HD. But to someone like me who appreciates the art more than the technological process of it it wouldn' t have been that much better. Just a slightly better image.

i just dont appreciate new games looking like they were made 5 years ago.

But that' s the thing, why can' t you? Why do you even think about how old a game looks? It can still look good even though it isn' t the latest technology that makes it.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 21 Oct 07 9:28:53 >
Vx Chemical

RE: Wii gamers not hardcore enough for Silent Hill... - Oct 21, 2007 18:12
So if a game with the visuals of FFVII was released today, it be just as fine to you as a game with the same art direction with the polygonal count of one of todays games?

You probably wouldnt look at it, since bad graphics = low production value.

I like old games quite a lot. But i dont convince myself they are good looking. How much graphics matters is a personal preference, gameplay is most important, but old games are old games. There is no point in creating new games with old graphics, when you can create new games with great graphics.

So:

new game with old grahics < new game with new great graphics

Provided its the exact same game. If you dont agree your just arguing for the sake of arguing or your fucking insane.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 55

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message