Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The UK is full of spastics.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 49
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 21, 2007 14:08
Mario Party 8 is being recalled in the UK. Why? There is a HUGELY offensive word that the UK just can' t handle. The word? " Spastic" .

Nintendo has recalled all copies of Mario Party 8 in the UK due to it containing an offensive word.

The title was released for the Nintendo Wii on Friday and has seen heavy promotion over the weekend with TV advertisements.

" Unfortunately we have discovered that a small number of games contain the wrong version of the disk due to an assembly error," reads a statement from the company.

" We have therefore decided to recall all copies of the game from UK retailers so that this mistake can be corrected."

Last month, Ubisoft was forced to pull all copies of DS game Mind Quiz in Europe after it was found to contain offensive comments.

Nintendo said it will announce a new release date for Mario Party 8 shortly.

From gamesindustry.biz

If you guys would just euthanize your spastics, this wouldn' t be an issue. Wrong version and assembly error, my ass!
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 21 Jul 07 6:09:26 >
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 21, 2007 19:22
You little ignorant ****
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 21, 2007 20:12
The UK has seemingly increased in acts like this in many sectors over the years. I' m also under the impression that the majority of the public is annoyed by such efforts.

I could be wrong, but the government interfering in things like this so often would sure piss me off.
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 21, 2007 22:08
There has been an increasing overuse of Political Correctness in the UK, that' s what you get with a ' trendy' lefty pinko government. There are however some words that it just isn' t right to use in any context and that' s one of them.
alijay034

RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 00:21
It' s not about being PC it' s being down right ignorant, anyone with a spastic child or relative would feel the same.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 01:04
That' s not cool. I' m sorry, pick on foreigners, politicians and celebrities all you want, but leave the mentally ill out of it.
Joe Redifer

RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 01:06
This also happened recently with a brain training game released in the UK by Ubisoft. If you ranked low, the game called you a spastic. People went nuts. Buildings were burned down. The Queen said " Oh dear" . It was hell on Earth. I could understand if the game called you a fucking asshole, but a spastic? That' s like calling someone a retard (that' s our word for it in the US). We love the word " retard" .
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 01:08
The games that got nailed with this were marketed directly for children.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 01:10
Did Nintendo recall the games on their own accord or were they forced into the recall?
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 01:14
Nintendo did it. But if they hadn' t, somebody would have made them.
Joe Redifer

RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 01:19
Mario Party is aimed at children? Well I guess it is, since it is Nintendo.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 01:24
The people playing Mario Party aren' t necessarily playing The Darkness. Their tolerance levels for violence and profanity (on a general scale) is far lower than other consumers. We' re assuming it' s kids or easily offended adults.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 21 Jul 07 17:25:22 >
Joe Redifer

RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 01:31
I bet it' s the new moms who are offended. Everytime there is a PC movement, moms are behind it. I didn' t know " spastic" was a swear word. Here in the US, the word literally means " hyperactive" . It' s also kind of a funny-sounding word.
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 01:34
Did you even look at the screenshot guys? I don' t see how the sentence " turn the train spastic" is supposed to be an insult to anybody.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 01:38

The games that got nailed with this were marketed directly for children.

So what? How are children affected by the word " spastic" ? Kids are use to seeing F' s all the time, adding a new word for dumbass wouldn' t crush their ego' s. Replacing " Game Over" , Fail, F, better luck next time. All convey the same thing. It means they lost. You can' t protect children from losing. Why would you? What kind of life lesson is that? The word " Spastic" is mearly another word to enrich their vocabulary. It changes nothing else.

Saying that certain words are bad is no different from saying that the English language is bad.

What about manhunt II that has to be fundamentally changed just to see release? A game that was rated 18+, somehow adults are too young to play the game. Where does this censorship end? Who gets to draw the line?

Anytime there is censorship, there is an elitist not too far trying to hold on to power. In a perfect society, where there are no marginalized and no one being oppressed, there would be no need for censorship.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 21 Jul 07 17:42:39 >
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 01:39
" Turn the train RETARD!"
alijay034

RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 02:06
Someone who is " Spastic" is someone who is both physically and mentally disabled, it like " retard" are 2 of the most offensive words ever invented when used out of context, think of how any of you would feel if you brother, sister, nephew or niece were termed as being spastic.

If nintendo pulled this themselves then why did they use the word in the first place.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 02:08
They said it was an abberation in disc manufacturing. Nintendo Corporate would have a hard time picking up on an offensive word that was in 1% of the stock.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 03:00
I' m not skilled enough in english to take the debate of how unappropriate the word " spastic" is. But I do believe that if you have a choice to use a word that won' t offend someone, or a word that might offend someone, the non offensive alternative is always the best one.
In this situation, I think another word would have been more appropriate and I think the translator did a bad job by not realising that the word might not be the best one to use. It comes as no surprise that Nintendo chose to take action.
It' s not a big issue to me though so I would never demand a recall of the game, but it' s enough to motivate some critique.
Joe Redifer

RE: The UK is full of spastics. - Jul 22, 2007 03:50
And how would this word magically find itself in 1% of the discs? It even rhymes with the other words. It was there intentionally. Someone typed it in. It was approved.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 49

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message