Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Current Software Attach Ratios...
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 23
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 01, 2007 16:30
My good buddy VX was looking for attach ratios, so even though i wouldn' t usually do this...

According to NPD (and so for the US only) - and coming by way of the ever so vile Joystiq:

Xbox 360 = 6.59 (hardware total sold = 6.8 million; software total sold = 44.8 million)

PlayStation 3 = 3.58 (hardware total sold = 1.9 million; software total sold = 6.8 million)

Wii = 3.44 (hardware total sold = 4.5 million; software total sold = 15.5 million)

What' s interesting is that Sony has sold 2.6M less PS3' s than Nintendo has Wii' s and yet the software attach ratio is about the same. Not good for Nintendo, especially given that Wii Play [unfairly?] counts for Nintendo' s software total and has sold approx 300k every month since launch. Removing the Wii Play sales would take Wii' s " actual" attach ratio down to about 3.00

Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 01, 2007 16:35

Removing the Wii Play sales would take Wii' s " actual" attach ratio down to about 3.00

Thats impressive, i can hardly find 3 games i want to buy for the wii

Super Paper Mario

and maybe Zelda
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 01, 2007 16:46
it does seem to lend some justification that the wii is primarily bought by people who don' t game very much, and that the PS3 has had a lot of purchasers looking for just a Blu-ray player (or that the library of games is just not that expansive yet).

also I don' t consider myself a prolific games purchaser but I' ve far exceeded my quota, so there must be a lot of people who only buy one or two games for their machines.
Vx Chemical

RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 01, 2007 16:50
I bought a lot of GC tittles, it hink i have around 11 or so.

I hardly bought any Xbox titles, around 10 over the 5 years.

I have 15 or so 360 titles,

I have one Wii title (if yo u count wii sport :D)
Nitro

RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 01, 2007 17:29
Well when i can find a Wii i' ll be buying 8 [i think] games, so the poor tie ratio is likely to have something to do with causal and non-gamers just not buying software in the same kind of quantities that traditional gamers do - something i' ve been saying for a year...

At least NPD figures don' t include Wii Sports. That' d be a joke.
Vx Chemical

RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 01, 2007 17:47
What titles will you get nitro?
Nitro

RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 01, 2007 18:13
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Metroid Prime 3
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition (i have the Gamecube version already)
Twilight princess (i have the Gamecube version already)
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

But at the moment everywhere is out of stock (read: Nintendo are constraining supply in order to build hype again) and even when stock comes in you can only buy bundles with games like SSX, Raving Rabids and Red Steel - so it could be a while yet.
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 01, 2007 18:42
Nothing surprising there. It would just be interesting to see how the accessoire attach rates look, too. Has the kinda steep price for Wiimote + Nunchuck stopped Wii owners from buying additional controllers?
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 02, 2007 00:24
http://games.kikizo.com/news/200710/126.asp

It mentions the attachment rate for Wii being around three per console in Japan, five in Europe and over six games in the USA.

It kind of confirms what Japanese developers have been saying for a while : that gamers there are more casual in general compared to the other markets.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 02, 2007 02:31
Well at least I did my part to drive up the ps3 software sales. So far I have 15 ps3 games, quite a few not worth owning, mostly bought because I was bored, but whatever.

Even with the elite I bought in august, I' m up to 10 xbox games.

I definitely see software attach ratio' s going up during the holiday season. Sure a lot of people will be buying new consoles and thus having smaller libraries, but with CoD4, Assasins Creed, Mass Effect, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, UT3(maybe, but doubtful) etc coming out, I can' t see it not going up significantly.

I can' t say the same for the Wii though. As it only has one title coming out that is worth buying. Sure Zach and Wiki got good reviews, but not everyone loves adventure titles, especially ones that look like a Fisher Price playset.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 02, 2007 03:49
These Attach rates only prove that the Wii attracts so many non-gamers if anything. I don' t think Nintendo ever expected these fiqures to be high at the start, These 40% of the Wii' s owner base are hardly gonna be keeping up with the latest titles, like the other 60% Hardcore Wii owners (like myself).

It' s all kinda of Irrelevant with a console like the Wii that is trying to break a new audience and not much to do with the quality of Wii software (VX ). Most Hardcore Wii owners I know, either in person or on forums, own at least 6 games, I own 8 and want another 7.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 02, 2007 04:22
Nice percentage, still pulling numbers out of your ass I see.

Anyway, Nintendos attach rate is irrelevant, they actually make money on the console, whereas MS and Sony loose money.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 02, 2007 05:56

Anyway, Nintendos attach rate is irrelevant, they actually make money on the console, whereas MS and Sony loose money.

We aren' t talking about the money. We are talking about attach rates, which mean a lot to developers. Nobody wants to make a game for a console that doesn' t sell software as well as another. It' s like deciding where to open a car dealership. Are you going to go to a city where the average home owns 1 car, or the city where the average home owns 2 or 3. It' s a simple decision.

Oh, and thanks for pointing out the fact that Nintendo makes money off their consoles and the other two don' t. Captain obvious 4tw!!!!
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 02, 2007 07:07
I expected as much. Simply a lack of quality games is the reason, as everyone here realises. the 360 has loads of them. The PS3 has quite a few. The Wii doesn' t have very many. But there is no doubt these figures can be interpreted negatively by 3rd parties (In terms of Nintendos ratio). The Problem is Wiisports is still such a system seller that (IMO) it will be difficult for software sales to catch up to hardware sales to improve the ratio (in the forseeable future). That and the trickle of quality titles to the Wii and its no wonder it has the lowest attach rate. Nintendo need to address this problem quickly, because if sales of Wii begin to decline significantly, its low attach rate will become a sever liability.
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 02, 2007 07:42
The Kikizo article I linked to a few posts ago tells something else though. From that one the Wii attachment rate isn' t bad at all in Europe and the US. But as usual, different numbers from different sources :P
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 02, 2007 12:26
Dagashi, youre just bitter that you paid $500 for a movie player

Dagashi, in a pissy mood 4tw
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 02, 2007 12:43

Nice percentage, still pulling numbers out of your ass I see.

That' s why they don' t give a shit about third party support. They make money on the hardware and even more from their own games.
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 02, 2007 16:48
it seems obvious why developers were wary about investing in the wii, attach rate is much lower and with most of the attachment going to 1st party software anyway there has to be a lot of wiis out there to have any chance of gaining the same income on their efforts even if development costs are lower.
Vx Chemical

RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 02, 2007 16:52

Most Hardcore Wii owners I know, either in person or on forums, own at least 6 games, I own 8 and want another 7.

Wow i would feel like i wasted my money if i bought that many Wii titles, since they are mostly worthtless.

For a long time RE4 was the best bet, but i shouold get that game for free since i already fucking bought it.
Nitro

RE: Current Software Attach Ratios... - Nov 02, 2007 18:44

ORIGINAL: ys

The Kikizo article I linked to a few posts ago tells something else though. From that one the Wii attachment rate isn' t bad at all in Europe and the US. But as usual, different numbers from different sources :P

The US tie ratio figures we' re discussing have come straight from NPD which translates to software sold at retail but doesn' t include internet or Walmart sales.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 23

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message