Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL
johnfun

• Total Posts : 13
THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 01:27
i honestly wish people must get over the whole “CELL” thing. It totally, as it stands now, overated . Its not the be all end all of CPUs. Its simply a single IBM Power PC core with 7 SPEs. I think people still make the mistake in claiming and thinking that they are essentially seperate CPUs. They are not.

if you really want to be “technical” the PS3 setup is absolutely lousy . The majority of the work needed for the PS3 is not the so called difficulty of the CELL processor, but its lack of main memory, lack of video memory, and very slow load data-read speeds, and much slower bus speed, all in comparisson to the Xbox 360.

Think to yourselves for a minute, peoples?
You have games on the PS3. Dev kits have only been out X amount of time. Both 360 and PS3 release are identical

Yet, you will notice that the PS3 sufferes time and time again in comparison - just mildly - mind you. The issues being what? Framerate? Resolution? This are problems not associated with CELL, but less memory, fill rate, bus transfer etc. The only way to really optimize is for Sony to “cut the fat” from their supplied libraries. Thats it. Its very little, or nothing at all to do with CELL difficulty. The processors are a non event.

That will possibly be the only major problem for devs for both consoles in the near future.
1). Lack of memory on the PS3.
2). Lack of storage space on the Xbox 360.
Watch out for that one. It will be here sooner than you think !

p.s some research i have done................

2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 01:57
I pity you john . Your going to get pwned
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 02:09

ORIGINAL: johnfun

i honestly wish people must get over the whole “CELL” thing. It totally, as it stands now, overated . Its not the be all end all of CPUs. Its simply a single IBM Power PC core with 7 SPEs. I think people still make the mistake in claiming and thinking that they are essentially seperate CPUs. They are not.

if you really want to be “technical” the PS3 setup is absolutely lousy . The majority of the work needed for the PS3 is not the so called difficulty of the CELL processor, but its lack of main memory, lack of video memory, and very slow load data-read speeds, and much slower bus speed, all in comparisson to the Xbox 360.

You have games on the PS3. Dev kits have only been out X amount of time. Both 360 and PS3 release are identical

Yet, you will notice that the PS3 sufferes time and time again in comparison - just mildly - mind you. The issues being what? Framerate? Resolution? This are problems not associated with CELL, but less memory, fill rate, bus transfer etc. The only way to really optimize is for Sony to “cut the fat” from their supplied libraries. Thats it. Its very little, or nothing at all to do with CELL difficulty. The processors are a non event.

That will possibly be the only major problem for devs for both consoles in the near future.

Thanks man, i always knew there was something i was missing. Are you a developer or somthing?
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 02:12

ORIGINAL: Nitro

Thanks man, i always knew there was something i was missing. Are you a developer or somthing?

Thats all ? Oh well , maybe someone else .
Nitro

RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 02:15

ORIGINAL: 2pac

ORIGINAL: Nitro

Thats all ? Oh well , maybe someone else .

Leave him alone 2pac. Everybody knows you are a PS3 fanboy. We need to know the ins and outs of CELL and this guy can tell us!!!!

What say you johnfun, will you enlighten us with your developer knowledge??
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 02:24
I too must know the ways of teh CELL.
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 03:06

Devs Problems: Lack of memory on Sony PS3 and storage on Xbox 360
Posted by Starlight 23 hours ago (http://www.product-reviews.net) View profile
Category: General/Off Topic | Tags: ps3 xbox360 console news
We have heard many gamers comparing the different games on the Sony PS3 and Xbox 360 but today we had a long comment from someone calling themselves “IsThis4Real” and they make an interesting case for both the PS3 and 360.

Also they outline some of the problems both games consoles face and explain a little about the CELL CPU. Have a read a let us know if you agree.

Here is IsThis4Real’s comment: I honestly wish people would get over the whole “CELL” thing. Its totally, as it stands now, overated - and the concept is still in its infancy. Its not the be all end all of CPUs. Its simply a single IBM Power PC core with 7 SPEs. I think people still make the mistake in claiming and thinking that they are essentially seperate CPUs. They are not.

Its “simply” designed for very fast on the fly encoding/decoding (gross missunderstatement, I know - but I think for some it has to be put VERY simply if you know what I mean) - its specialty will lie in the integration of the home based setup.

This is something Sony mooted nearly 10 or more so years ago, the ability to have every single (Sony based) product in one house hold to be able to communicate with eachother. This is when they forst started announcing that they were working on a single SUPER cpu.Watch that space over the next few years. They might actually get there, but I tell you, it aint going to be this incarnation of CELL, thats for sure.

It is not even an ideal functioning model for multi-threaded coding, an area, which despite a few game companies have said they are able to pull off, is again, still very much in its infancy - especially on the mainstream level - ie to you.

If you really want to be “technical” the PS3 setup is absolutely lousy - plain and simple - for modern game setups. The majority of the work needed for the PS3 is not the so called difficulty of the CELL processor, but its lack of main memory, lack of video memory, and very slow load data-read speeds, and much slower bus speed, all in comparisson to the Xbox 360.

The CELL, despite what is said, is NOT an overly complicated piece of architecture. It has the potential to be quite elegant in fact.

You have games on the PS3. Dev kits have only been out X amount of time. Both 360 and PS3 release are identical - dont be anal guys.

Watch out for that one. It will be here sooner than you think, if not already.

Hence the heavy need for almost triple assest content on Blue Ray discs, and very heavy cache useage. But cheers to Sony anyways for bringing something new to the table. But to say that games that are comming out would not be possible without it are just plain rubbish. But not so if on the PS3… Its just a little bit different. Tis all.

You want to talk about technical limitations??

All it will take is one REALLY good game, yet to come, on the PS3, with exceptional graphics and very heavy scripting, and it will absolutely bring that machine to its knees. Just because of the Single PPC core, and small ammount of memory. If you have actually looked at the way the PS3 “works”, it is a very laborious process !! There is so much to and fro before it even gets into the pipeline for post processing, any benefit that the CELL even began to pose is vanquished.

But everyone, just bear this in mind. The Xbox 360, for all the bagging it gets, is really quite a powerfull piece of kit. It has 3 seperate PPC cpus, which basically equates to 6 hardware threads. It has more memory to play with, a superior GPU, and superfast bus rate.

All the BS talked about GOW pushing the 360 is almost toss. Sorry. It was only running on two thread system. And even that engine was very buggy and “heavy” at the time. If not totally overated in its own right as well.

Honestly, if MS decided to put some form of a HD disc in it, Blu Ray or HD-DVD, the damn thing would be almost future proof, with the exception of the over heating, ofcourse.

Because, as it stands, the PS3 only has the storage space over the 360. Its not anymore “advanced” at all, and in many ways, slightly less.

Anyways, ive gone on a bit. Sorry. Sometime soon, some dev will get around to managing the PS3 with a par excellence attitude. It looks like Infinity Ward might just be there.
Take it easy, guys. Sorry for going on a bit.

Get that ass out of here buddy you did not write any of that.

He is a lier .

Dude sucks heres the source.

No he is not he is a xbox fan boy or a little kid I dont know
< Message edited by mikayd2 -- 4 Nov 07 19:07:25 >
Nitro

RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 03:16
*rollseyes*
Agent Ghost

RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 03:38
lulz we have all kinds here.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 04:20
some people here don' t have sarcasm detectors AT ALL, not even broken.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 04:21

Get that ass out of here buddy you did not write any of that.

He is a lier .

Dude sucks heres the source.

Ah, you beat me to it. Just saw that exact same article on xbox-scene and a link on gameindustry.biz
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 04:28
what kind of people would do that anyway, goddamn this boy is sad. by the way , i' m playing Zelda HG and i' m fucking loving it ...
Agent Ghost

RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 04:37

some people here don' t have sarcasm detectors AT ALL, not even broken.

LMAO! Yeah...

At this point I' m thinking it' s iliteracy.
Nitro

RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 04:37
Hay guyz!!! It' s teh randum GIF time!!1!!!

Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 05:05

i' m playing Zelda HG

Yeah its really fun, i got bored of it though after completing the ghost ship level, and i sold my DS, but luckily i can hopefully purchase tha PS3 next week, ill probably get the 40gb version
< Message edited by vx chemical -- 4 Nov 07 21:10:42 >
Agent Ghost

RE: THE TRUTH ABOUT CELL - Nov 05, 2007 06:22

Yeah its really fun, i got bored of it though after completing the ghost ship level, and i sold my DS, but luckily i can hopefully purchase tha PS3 next week, ill probably get the 40gb version

Not that it matters, but I have to correct what I said before about the 40GB model being on a 65nm process. It looks like it' s still on a 90nm process but they made it more energy efficient anyways.

Next week I' m going to EB games to pick up COD4 (probably the 360 version). I' ll pick up Warhark as well while I' m at it.

I hate the fact that I have to go out of town to pick up games...

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll