Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
ElectronicsJunkie

• Total Posts : 62
Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 15, 2004 06:29
Metroid is flying off the shelves like free hotcakes in a middle-eastern neighborhood. Could Nintendo make a shift to start making Metroid games more than Mario? And would that be such a bad thing?
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 15, 2004 12:24
Mario seems to have been neglected a bit by Nintendo recently.

While Sega have been out re-introducing Sonic to a whole new generation of gamers with a cartoon show and multi format game Mario has kind of just been in the background. Sure he' s had his fare share of game appearances but nothing as mainstream as the starring role in another proper Mario game. Playing Golf, Tennis, Pinball, Party Games and the like is still keeping Mario around but we need a proper adventure.
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 15, 2004 14:33
I' m a huge fan of the Metroid games. Actually got addicted to playing video games years ago by playing Super Metroid on the Super Nintendo. I still play it on occassion. Metroid Prime was awesome and I' m looking forward to the playing the second one Metroid Prime: Echos.
Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 15, 2004 14:54
Nah Mario will always be Nintendo' s mascot. He has an universal appeal that Samus Arran simply doesn' t have.

I wouldn' t say Mario was being ignored half of Nintendo' s games seem to be Mario related and most of them are very good. Paper Mario 2 is a wonderful game and Sunshine was awesome. They could really do with making a proper 2D sequel to Super Mario World though. It comes to something when what is IMO the best 2D platformer ever is a 13 year old game.
Vincent Cook

• Total Posts : 152
RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 15, 2004 15:18
I agree with you Gossi. Nintendo could never leave Mario. He' s the main reason Nintendo took off!
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 15, 2004 16:37
Samus Arran is becoming like the MasterChief...

Metroid has earned its right to be in the spotlight...and with the new 1st person perspective, that makes it even more awesome!!!

Mario is a great franchise, but they have already done so much with him and Luigi that I think they just needed to take some time away - to refresh themselves.

Mario will be back...hopefully with an awesome game concept!

I wouldn' t mind seeing a Mario compilation released...all the Mario games from the NES to the N64, including the GB/GBC/GBA, all on one disc! That would be nice!
Starman Anthony

• Total Posts : 563
RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 15, 2004 18:13
Yeah Nintendo would never do that to Mario just look how long he has lasted. He' s soo old along with Pac-Man Heh. Mario is anything you want him to be. He can adapt to anything he was a Spaceman too back in Super Mario Land 2. So really Mario has done it all. Nintendo will continue making Mario it' s mascot because it' s impossible to love any mascot like Mario now. Just sooo many years and stuff. I did notice Mario getting a little fat though hmm.. he needs to lay off some food. Luigi too. As always peach is perfect hehe.
ElectronicsJunkie

RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 15, 2004 20:16
Yeah, maybe a vacation is all Mario Mario and Luigi Mario really need. Samus can easily fill in while they rest up.
Gossi_the_dog

RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 15, 2004 22:13
Well Mario was on his way for a vacation in Mario Sunshine. Unfortunately for him stuff didn' t quite turn out as he' d planned.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 16, 2004 01:12
Hmmmmm...,

Metroid Golf
Metroid Tennis
Metroid Party
Metroid Kart
Metroid Sunshine

I don' t think Mario has been neglected at all. Of course Nintendo programs neither anymore (except for the occasional Mario).

I played the Metroid game on the DS today and I was less than impressed. At first the left hand controlled the touch screen and the helmet was on the bottom screen. So I went into the options screen to change the control and it had settings called " A" , " RG" and other wierd ass things that made no sense. I switched it so that the wand was in the right hand and started playing. But now the map was on the bottom screen and the game was on the top. WTF? But I still had to move the wand around on the map to control how the top screen looked around. Very bizarre. I just walked away from the machine.
Starman Anthony

• Total Posts : 563
RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 16, 2004 01:35
Like I said Mario and Luigi need a little diet heh.
ElectronicsJunkie

Joe - Nov 16, 2004 09:23
Joe, I heard that the controls for the DS metroid game were actually fairly easy to pick up, and that with the different control options, there' s a way for everyone to control Samus with style. All reviews claim that it has fairly easy controls, almost second nature.
ElectronicsJunkie

RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 16, 2004 10:48
Hey guys, check out my " Master Samus" post if you want some more metroid mania. I just don' t see enough Metroid stuff in here. Considering that I don' t own an Xbox, it' s easy to see why I can' t get into the Halo 2 craze as easily. But anything Nintendo or Playstation I' ll know about.
Vincent Cook

RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 16, 2004 18:16
I dunno. Clearly Metroid cannot blast Mario out of the picture but it could get pretty darn close! Mario is a legend for Nintendo. he is what literally started the RPG genre. And RPG in my opinion the best genre ever!
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 16, 2004 20:51
Er... say what?

I' m sure Mario had nothing to do with starting the RPG genre...
ElectronicsJunkie

RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 17, 2004 00:51
I agree that Mario can' t be shoved aside. Samus could become Nintendo' s edgier venture. They' d continue pushing every mario title they can conjure, but maybe we' ll see many metroid sequels in the future. Maybe even Metroid Kart?
Ha! that' d rock.
Screw attack instead of koopa shells.
Vincent Cook

RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 17, 2004 05:35
Yeah. Super mario rpg, paper mario lots of mario games are rpgs. Role Playing Games! You take the role as mario! If no one agrees with me then I shall call it an adventure game! Mario started the adventure genre? Is that ok? Lol
ElectronicsJunkie

RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 17, 2004 15:39
I don' t believe he started the adventure or the rpg genres really. More like Mario took each genre (action he might have started, but adventure and rpg...) and he set the standard for some. Super Mario 64 was the definitive Adventure game for a while. And who hasn' t played Mario RPG? Yeah, mario, whether box-heads or station-junkies like it or not, has defined video games on the whole. Granted there' s no Mario FPS, but I would scoop that up in a heartbeat. Ooh, anyone got any ideas about a Mario FPS? Obviously there would be no blood, but would koopas be the main opponents, or would they create even more opponents like in Mario 64?
Gossi_the_dog

RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 17, 2004 21:23
Mario started the platform genre. RPG' s? No, that was Dragon Warrior/Quest and that involved a genreic protagonist by the name of ' Hero'
ElectronicsJunkie

RE: Metroid Games: Blasting Mario out of the Picture? - Nov 17, 2004 23:58
Yeah, platform, action, and a little adventure. Mario did quite a bit. And not one gray hair.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message