Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Parenting, schools, bullies, homework and results - do video games affect it?
monturner

• Total Posts : 4
Parenting, schools, bullies, homework and results - do video games affect it? - Jun 14, 2005 05:40
My current influence is once again Rez on the Dreamcast. A superb console in it' s own right, with a plethora of quality titles that IMHO put some of the PS2' s to shame. Originality was pretty much standard with this console, Rez, Ooga Booga, even the tried and tested game genres were remolded and thanks to the like of Zero Gunner 2 & Ikaruga completely raised the bar on visually stunning titles that once again IMHO has not yet been bettered.

This could be why when I heard of a small handheld console with the same Windows CE OS, and a shed loads more ram than the 16meg that the Dreamcast exploited so well appeared on the market I had to find out more.

I am now the proud owner of a brand new baby boy. He was already named Gizmondo and some of the other school children are forever taking the micky out of his name, his looks and how he has no friends. What they are forgetting (or in some cases, just don' t realise due to rubbishing something they have not even read about let alone seen or used) is that his friends are big, their just getting themselves sorted before catching up with their new buddy. Microsoft Game Studios, Ubisoft, EA are just the three that spring to mind at this moment as I type.

Now, Gizmondo is an outsider. He looks different, he doesn' t have as many buttons as the bully' s in the playground at school. PSP is one of the bigger bullies, but he appears to have some strange disorder that affects the brain of those who know (and in some cases love him). They seem to lose all politeness towards the other children in the playground and enforce their will on anyone even if it' s not the right time or place to do so. NDS, can be a bully also, but after numerous pta meetings, it' s generally been seen that he is just sticking to what he knows best and utilising the 20 years experience of staying a child and not getting a real job (lets be honest, a ninty will remain one - games back catalogue n all).

Now currently, the children are teasing young Gizmondo about his unsightly lump on his back for the purpose of keeping this simple, we shall call this a camera okay?) Anyway, the camera is at standard VGA resolution of 640x480 (or 0.3 mega pixel for the pedantic among you) and through this eye to the world Gizmondo can take pictures for multimedia messaging as well as placing the gamer into his world. A world of entertainment, a world where you can sit on a bus, photograph someone and place them into the game world your immersed in. Another thing that Gizmondo managed, was not only allow me to place myself into a game via the camera, but also allow me to steer my way around a maze. Sounds a little flat say the bully' s, but their just wondering how they ever forgot to include one originally and will no doubt grab more money off of the school children to implement one (making their pocket (sorry did I say pocket! heh heh) handheld a huge slavering beast) of a handheld that needs assembling.

As a new parent however, I’m a little concerned for the safety of Gizmondo. Thankfully though, we can utilise the inbuilt GPS system to track and locate the little tyke should he run off on me whilst in the park. " That’s inhumane!" shout some of the parents of the bullies, but in all honesty I can choose to set this up or leave it switched off. Anyway, why would anyone be playing with Gizmondo in the park? Simple, because utilising his GPS facilities and implementing them into, oh shall we say A GAME for example, what would that be like eh? What would it be like to interact with real people, who are real distances away from you, in your neighborhood, in your park, challenging YOUR TURF? Think about it ...

Mind you, as young as he is, and as old as I am (33 ... no comments children), he is going to be a godsend for me also. Bless his little GPS heart. He will be telling me precisely where to go (feel free PSP & NDS fan boys to take this as an opportunity to interject here - but please, please, please make it amusing ) ... because soon he will have taught himself in car navigation. Yes, he' s been staying after class with Mr Tom Tom and learnt all the tricks he had to offer (right up to chapter 5.0 I believe).

Mind you, as any parent knows, entertaining your little nipper can be difficult at the best of times, but at least I try. Yes, when he' s back from Mr Tom Tom' s we sit down together and watch the latest episode of Friends with him. Oh he enjoys that, you should see his little screen light up and the choice. Thankfully with the current memory (SD-Cards) at 2gig, and the 4 gig cards on the way, well he can have as much entertainment to watch as he can carry. But sometimes though, he' ll just want to listen to his favorite music. Thankfully he got himself one of those neat little IPod beating Windows Media players also. So when he' s finished watching TV, he' s then put to bed and listens to music until he falls asleep.

So ... Bully' s ... This is the end of my little tale, it' s not gone into too much detail about processor speed, or colours, or the cutting edge NVIDIA 3D graphics engine ... It has been written to entertain, educate and generate a response. Because if I can generate a response with this, wait until you get your hands on one of them (Michael Jackson need not apply).
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Parenting, schools, bullies, homework and results - do video games affect it? - Jun 14, 2005 06:10
Welcome to Kikizo forums, monturner.

I remember being lucky to have a transistor radio, when I was a kid. All the technology kids have these days...my parents would have given just about anything to have had today' s technology to keep their 5 kids busy (and out of their hair).

Nice story...a bit too long for most (not me, but most) here on these forums, though.

Look forward to reading future installments...

...and again - welcome to Kikizo!
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Parenting, schools, bullies, homework and results - do video games affect it? - Jun 14, 2005 07:00
Do you own the company that sells gizmondo monturner?? Can I get a free one to help promote it to all my friends?? Thanks in advance, just let me know where to send my mailing address.
< Message edited by mxpx182 -- 14 Jun 05 15:00:42 >
George Foreman

• Total Posts : 124
RE: Parenting, schools, bullies, homework and results - do video games affect it? - Jun 14, 2005 09:38
All of the sudden I want a Gizmondo. The only thing from stopping me is the money it takes to raise one. I mean what if it has a mutation?
< Message edited by George Foreman -- 14 Jun 05 17:39:35 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Parenting, schools, bullies, homework and results - do video games affect it? - Jun 14, 2005 16:50
I didn' t read your entire post because it required scrolling and I have the attention span of a gnat. But here are my thoughts on the subject:

Parenting:
Video games do not affect this because I am not a parent. I hate children. I wish Mike Tyson would just eat them all and get it over with.

Schools:
Unless videogames are allowed to be played in school, it should not affect it.

Bullies:
What the hell does this have to do with videogames? Anyway, videogames should not affect the right of bullies to bully you. The bully amount should not increase or decrease. If for some reason you find yourself being bullied less and less, seek counseling as something is wrong.

Homework:
Videogames definitely do affect this. I always played games instead of doing homework, even when the parents confiscated the systems. I ended up just sneaking the system back into my room and playing all night. If not, I would draw. Anything but homework. You' re only young once, homework should be illegal.

Results:
I' m sure videogames affect some kind of results. What those results are, I' m not sure. It won' t affect the results of the fighting in the middle east. It won' t affect results of all my girlfriend' s pregnancy tests. It might affect the results of my Super Monkey Ball skillz, tough.
Chickapoo88

• Total Posts : 187
RE: Parenting, schools, bullies, homework and results - do video games affect it? - Jun 14, 2005 16:53

Parenting:
Video games do not affect this because I am not a parent. I hate children. I wish Mike Tyson would just eat them all and get it over with.

Joe, you make me laugh. That would be a good solution to the annoying brats.

Videogames don' t affect my school or homework. I just figure that I better get the homework done so my parents don' t take everything electronic away from me. Plus homework only takes a few hours leaving the rest of the night to the videogames.
< Message edited by Chickapoo88 -- 15 Jun 05 0:55:46 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Parenting, schools, bullies, homework and results - do video games affect it? - Jun 15, 2005 07:23

That would be a good solution to the annoying brats.

That coming from one who just 2 days ago said they wanted to work with kids for a career?

Videogames in some instances helped me with homework. Mostly as a stress reliever. However, only is used at proper times, I' d often find that I woudl be into the games and completly forget about homework. Taking the system away wouldnt do much, I was a stubborn lil fucker. At one point my room was completely void of all entertainment due to some trouble I had gotten into. Didnt do much but give me time to daze out relax and stare for hours on end at the ceiling.

I' m not a parent but I am a Daycare Provider (ya scary shit I know but I' m completely sane in the work enviroment). So anyways I got partial parent responcibility for 8-10 kids. From time to time I slip in a lil gaming like during their naptime or playtime, some of the kids catch a glimpse of what Im playign and pretty much know all about the game, crazy that they know what Grand Theft Auto is all about...

you know what I have know idea where Im going with all of this ...only problem with gaming is scheduling I guess as long as you know how to time it out shoudl be no problems...honestly I didnt read all of the thread so this answer/responce may be completely off.
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: Parenting, schools, bullies, homework and results - do video games affect it? - Jun 16, 2005 14:09

I remember being lucky to have a transistor radio

Ahhh yes, I remember those days well.

I wish Mike Tyson would just eat them all and get it over with.

Joe, Joe, Joe. What to do with you?

I just figure that I better get the homework done so my parents don' t take everything electronic away from me.

That' s what I do when my kids don' t do their work!
monturner

• Total Posts : 4
RE: Parenting, schools, bullies, homework and results - do video games affect it? - Jun 20, 2005 07:58
Hi there, I know it was a little OTT for a first post, but thanks to all for the intelligent and witty comments (it makes a change trust me).
DaRoosh: I think there might be future instalments as it' s an ongoing theme of mine (yup crazy as a box of frogs) ...
mxp182 I wish I owned the company, I was at the launch of the unit in London and you should have seen the cars!!! Outrageous !!!
George It' s now cheaper than when I purchased mine. Some people on the forums think the idea of a £100 off the price to recieve adverts is a bit cheeky however, if i' d have waited a bit longer than I would have saved some $$$.
Joe LOL ... your replies are more than enough to convince me i' ll feel at home on this forum. Cheers!
Chickapoo Keep it up, not only will you remain with said gadgets, but you' ll get grades . (was that condecending?)
Mass X But what console/handheld do you mostly play on?
Sharon Wouldn' t want to cross you ! lol

Enough rubbish, see you all about.
residentevil327

• Total Posts : 406
RE: Parenting, schools, bullies, homework and results - do video games affect it? - Jul 06, 2005 11:46
welcome.nice story
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Parenting, schools, bullies, homework and results - do video games affect it? - Jul 07, 2005 08:17
what an odd little post, anyway welcome to the borads even if this is a few weeks old. I would give give you advice...but whats the funb in that? ;)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll