Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!)
Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 20 of 89
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 06:22
Read this article:
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/673/673799p1.aspx

Revolution being just a little better than the first Xbox is quite a disappointment for me even if I was expecting a console far less powerfull than Xbox360 or PS3. If that will eb the case, they might as well have released the controller for Gamecube.
However, I really like the estimated price: 149 $ or maybe as low as 99$! I honestly don' t think that will be the actuall price but since those prices were suggested, the real price should be pretty affordable
But nothing is official so we can still hope Nintendo releases a console 10 times better than PS3 at 10$ at launch. Or maybe it will cost 25000 $ and be less powerfull than the SNES, who knows.
Will any of you guys buy the Revolution if the graphics are just a little better than Xbox? And what price would you be ready to pay for that?
I' m going to buy it if the price is below 200$ if there will be any impressive games at launch.
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 06:43
I' ll care when it' s official.
Gaius IV

• Total Posts : 139
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 06:47
Yeah oh well, I still can' t wait for the revolution. I' ve ditched sony for nintendo, I just want to be able to play old nintendo,snes,n64 games. Plus any zelda games!
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 06:58
Being a hard core Nintendo fan, as powerful as the original xbox is more than a little dissapointing. I think even Nintendo has to realize they' ve got to bring just a little more to the table than that. However since nobody has the specs for the graphics chip (and I' ve heard these sometimes have a little to do with how powerful a system can be) I' m not going to start trusting comments like these. I' m not expecting the power of the 360 or PS3 out of this thing, but I am expecting a system that can produce visuals of similar or very near similar quality, just not at hi-def. It takes a lot of power to bump those visuals up to hi-def, and if you don' t have to worry about that then you need a lot less horsepower driving something to get the effects.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 07:35
Given the conservative specs Nintendo announced for the GameCube only to have Factor 5 prove them wrong with a GameCube launch title that out performed their announced specs, I personally don' t trust Nintendo when it comes to announcing their console specs, but with them it' s a good thing I guess since you get more power than what they' re announcing. Unlike *other* companies who first announce 77 million polygons, then 66 million only to have none of that being applicable in a real world situation :p..

Supposedly the Xbox 360 can push around 500 million polygons and the original Xbox was able to theoretically do around 133 million, it' s possible that the Revolution may be in the 200 million range or possibly less.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 08:18
I' ll definitely be getting a Revolution. I just hope they have a really good launch lineup. That controller looks like it will be fun to use.
ginjirou

RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 08:34
Well it' s nice to hear that everyone is so optimistic about the graphics. Makes me slightly happier. But what about the price? Do you think the price could be as low as 149$? If if the price gets that low I' ll buy Revolution just for its beautiful design.
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 08:56
If they release at 149 or less with Mario as a lunch title and another smash brothers, call it instant success. Simply because a lot of gamers are 2 console gamers now, even the casual ones, and that' s just too affordable. Ninetendo just might be able to succeed as the " 2nd console in a home" and become as popular as the PS3 or 360 simply because not many will have both 360 and pS3, but I think a lot will both 360 and rev, or PS3 and rev. A little optimisic maybe, but I think it can happen.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 08:58
Honestly if you care about graphics so much get the ps3. If you like something new try this, that price range is very affordable and cheap, it is alos the expected price of what you are going to pay for such technogly. The Controller is new and fresh, something that is missing big time this gen/next gen [how many fps where realsed on the 360 launch day?]. But saying this Nintendo are still idiots. They come up with brillant ideas and dreams but most of the time these ' great ideas' often flop [powerglove anyone?] now they are doing the oppsite of what the big rivals of sony and microsoft, by giving people a weak machine priced at a very low price. Its a very risky path but so far they are doing a excellant job, they have generated so much hype about its console that is surely going to do job.

Personaly i do think the rev' s controller can somewhat boarder into the ' gimmiky' side of things if it isnt used wright, much like the ds touch screen.

Nintendo is like that sauce at your local store, some people like it, but You just dont understand it.

Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 09:02
If Revo price is below $150 then i' m definitly in

but nintendo is always taking risks , it' s good to innovate but not to get suicided, if price is above 150$ then nintendo will face great difficulties to sell its console since i believe that more than 80% of gamers are amazed by graphics rather than gameplay

then its not like PS3 and 360 will produce flops, there will be some excellent games with excellent graphics and excellent gameplay as well ...

Nintendo didn' t support CD format and it got it ass kicked by 3rd parties

nintendo didn' t support mature games (n64) and it got it ass kicked

and now it doesn' t support hgih end graphics and it might get its ass kicked again, just one reason say goodbye to multiplatform (at least 50% of them)

why nintendo is taking useless risks ?? the controler is awesome i loved it but will that be enough ?? if they push more power say 3 times x box that would be sweeter , even if the price get higher by an extra 50$, then nintendo will do better...

i think now revo is just a complement to the otehr two consoles , one would buy xbox/ps3 and revo ... may be that' s nice for nintendo after all
< Message edited by abasoufiane -- 7 Dec 05 17:03:06 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 09:59
I don' t see the Revolution costing less than $199.95 (before tax) at launch. And that' s fine.
Harry

• Total Posts : 3
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 12:23
Well

If the revolution is under £150, i will definetely buy it. Comparing it with the other consoles e.g. XBOX 360 - £209.00 it seems like a sweet deal because you can at least buy some games with it. Not like rip-off-Microsoft. I was thinking of buying the XBox 360 but even if you buy the ' good pack' it will cost you more than £300 with just one game, and i am still not getting the whole experience with my standard TV. I would have to spent 1-2 thousands pounds to get the HD experience (and we are only talking about getting the most out of graphics, what about gameplay?).
I am really getting worried about the prospect of PS3 being over £300. I still believe that consoles would not cost more than £150.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 12:42
Calling the 360 a rip off is stupidity.
THE_MASTER_OF_FIRE

• Total Posts : 15
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 12:43
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62069

Revolution to be ' 2.5 times more powerful than Cube' (News)
by GamesIndustry.biz

About this game
07/12/2005 17:14

Developers speaking to GamesIndustry.biz this week have commented that the the Revolution console, hardware kits for which began shipping to third parties recently, is shaping up to be around 2.5 times more powerful than GameCube.

Up until the past week or so, developers close enough to Nintendo' s inner circle to have seen any Revolution hardware were working with development kits that were simply GameCube kits with mock-ups of the " wand" controller attached - a clear signal, if any were required, that the system is more about innovative control than about the hardware specs.

Now, however, Nintendo has spoken to developers in more depth about its hardware plans for the new system - and has begun shipping more advanced development kits to selected third-parties, featuring early versions of some of the chips which will appear in the final console.An article published by US website IGN this morning revealed some details of the console, and several developers today have spoken to GamesIndustry.biz to help fill in the gaps.

The picture we' re building up of the final console is as follows: the Cube will be powered by the IBM CPU codenamed Broadway, which is very similar to the Gekko CPU used in the GameCube, but runs at around twice the clock speed and offers potentially two to three times the overall performance, and the ATI graphics chip codenamed Hollywood.

While Broadway is well-understood by developers, the ATI part remains " a bit of a black box" , according to one senior developer we spoke to. " We have theoretical throughput figures and stats from Nintendo, but nobody' s seen the hardware yet - we' re just treating it like it' s a faster version of the GameCube GPU, at the moment."

How much faster exactly it will be remains to be seen, but the chip - which " seems to be an evolution of the Radeon range" according to our source - will probably mirror the CPU by running at around twice to three times the speed of the existing part.

In terms of RAM, the system is well-known to boast 512MB of Flash RAM which can be used to store save games and downloaded content, but this will not be accessible to developers, we were told. What they' ll have available is 96MB of main memory, built on the same 1T-SRAM architecture as the Cube, and " a few megs here and there for other stuff" - such as 3MB of on-board memory on the graphics chip, which will be used for a frame buffer. " That' s plenty, since the Revolution isn' t supporting HDTV," one developer added.

As for the storage media the Revolution will use, " they' re pretty much standard DVDs," we were told, with capacity similar to current PS2 and Xbox discs. " The only clever thing about the drive, really, is that you can put the little Cube discs into it despite being a slot-loading drive - I think that' s the first time you' ve been able to do that with a slot loader."

In other words, what Nintendo is planning to ship is a system which is no more than around twice to three times as powerful as the current generation GameCube - indeed, more than one developer who has access to the hardware specs suggested " about 2.5 times the power" as the benchmark for the new system.

Although this makes the Revolution significantly less powerful than the PS3 or Xbox 360, developers we spoke to were upbeat about the machine.

" You can basically treat it like a current generation machine," one told us. " The time it' ll take to ramp up to developing on this is basically nil - we can just work on a PC or maybe an Xbox, and then improve the quality of our assets when we move to the Revolution. Or even work on a Cube, in fact. The libraries are very similar."

" We could do a game for this in a few months," commented another developer. " Developing games is going to be easy, the challenge is going to be using the controller properly."

The approach mirrors Nintendo' s strategy with the DS, which is far less powerful than its rival the PlayStation Portable but offers an innovative interface which has been a hit with gamers and has had major success in the mass market.

Crucially, the low specification will also allow Nintendo to score a victory in terms of pricing; speculation is already rife that the Revolution could enter the marketplace at $149 or even lower, suggesting a sub-GBP 100 price point at a time when the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 still retail for three times that price.

This is rather new. I would like you guys to absorb this infomation.

Now...It' s being told here that the Rev is a little more powerful than what IGN reported. And games can be done within a few months. Genius. That means more games for the Rev in no time. There will be no launch shortage come November. And if the games end selling well on the Rev expect more games on the Rev. It' s a win win for both sides. Cheap development. Nice Profit.

There' s still two more secrets about the Rev Nintendo hasn' t told us about.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 13:20
128 or 104 (like the Newest IGN articles say) of system RAM is nearly twice the RAM of Xbox , so saying that it' s a bit better than X is not accurate.Next Gen GPU is not only about RAM and Clock - it has all the innovations from the last couple of years , new effects ,better efficiency and stuff.CPU is also optimised and upgraded plus both GPU and CPU are said to have at least twice the clock speed(comparing to GCN).

RAM

100 Vs 500 ?

100MB for 640x480 Vs 500MB for 1200x720 is just silly.

HDTV games need a lot of ram for HIGH RES textures , Effects (like Z-Buffering) cost per pixel is HD=2,8xSD.

That means that if some game needs (just speculation) 20MB of RAM for some effect on REV , it needs nearly 60MB on HD Xbox360 and even more for PS3 (if they keep 1080p a native resolution ,it' s more than twice what X360 needs).

If X360 worked in SD natively than REV would' ve been a 100 years behind it.

That' s exactly why N goes for SD.

That said pure power is uncomparable by tech specs - X360 is just way more powerfull on paper , but thankfully boys and girls we play on TV and what' s more -for about 70% of us it' s SD TV.

So no big deal actually - it will rock - it will rock for 99-149$ ,it will rock with free Online service and it will rock with all the oldschool on it.That thing is awesome even without the controller :)

Anyway I like the tech stuff but I care for gameplay only so screw morons from epic games who say gameplay=graphics.

Either way Revolution is going to have a huge impact on games as we know them.

But for know I' ll stick to my Xbox and some old stuff I didn' t have time for (Beyond Good & Evil) :)

< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 8 Dec 05 22:48:27 >
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 19:37

Remember, this isn' t exactly the age of enlightenment for gamers.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 07, 2005 21:12

ORIGINAL: lotusson

Remember, this isn' t exactly the age of enlightenment for gamers.

After reading Gansta' s post I agree with you.
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 08, 2005 05:50
Another thing to remember is that both Sony and Microsoft are spending major money on their consoles and the extra power. Games for those consoles are also going to cost more for developers and are costing us, the consumers more.

The Revolution could be a real viable and cheap alternative for developers out there. Even more importantly it could make Nintendo more cash by spending less. Aren' t Sony and Microsoft loosing money selling their consoles? If Nintendo can minimise the loss or even make a gain they' ll be in a better position.

It also means cheaper and more innovative games for us!
ginjirou

RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 08, 2005 11:02
I was thinking about connectivity with the Nintendo DS and realized that if developers wanted to, they could use the touch-screen, microphone and other features of the DS to controll the revolution games as well. And since the DS also look and works as a regular controller, it could probably be used as such, solving the problem some games might have if they are not suited for the Revolution controller. And since it looks like the Revolution is going to be cheap, I think more gamers will be willing to buy the DS (which is also cheap) just for the connectivity.
It' s another story with the PS3 and PSP. Both are very expensive hardware. I hope Nintendo will use the DS as much as possible. It would be cool to play an online game on the Revolution using the Rev-controller to control in game action, and the DS to control menus, status and such.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Revolution Specs and Price (99$!!) - Dec 08, 2005 14:46
Well then rampage I guess that " 99" stands for your IQ.
Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 20 of 89

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message