Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time!
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 26
Vincent Cook

• Total Posts : 152
The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 08, 2004 17:47
This is it. What game deserves the title of the best game ever? It' s up to you to decide! Please speciy the console the game was/is on and the name of it and any additional information. I' ll start off :
Metal Gear Solid 2 for PS2. A legendary game, sequel to Metal Gear Solid on the PSOne. Tactical Espionage and covert operations. Revolutionary stealth and action gameplay. One not to miss!
< Message edited by Vincent Cook -- 11/8/2004 8:17:49 PM >
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 08, 2004 20:08
Super Mario Bros. (NES)

At the time, it was pure video game perfection. Nothing like it had even been approached, let alone equaled. For the technology of that era, it was an accomplishment of mammoth proportions, was mostly flawless in its balance and execution and was single-handedly responsible for the home VG revolution that is still going on today.

But my personal favorite game of all time is:

Final Fantasy Tactics (PSOne)

Just about the most perfect strategy/tactical RPG ever made, and possibly the most addictive game of all time (for me). Fantastic story, the best gameplay I' ve ever seen, and one of the smoothest and most balanced character advanement systems in history (Job System). No one else will list this one, but I really, really don' t care.

Runner-ups:

Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Contra (NES)
Final Fantasy VII (PSOne)
Super Mario 3 (SNES)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
Pong (Atari 2600)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)
Galaga (Arcade)

Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 08, 2004 21:44
Vincent Cook

How would you say MGS2 improves on MGS? As for the revolutionary bit, IMO there wasn' t much added over MGS and you could argue that the gameplay in MGS was not much more than the original MG but in 3D.

As for the best game ever. Do you want an objective or subjective point of view?
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 09, 2004 00:10
I think those games programmed by Tom Clancy where the hero wears those EMO glasses are the best game evar! Yes, " evar" , as " ever" is simply not giving the game enough credit. Or is that game called " Spec Ops" or something? I dunno, all I know is that it' s on the Xbox and you shoot a gun in the game!!!!!!

Runner ups for best gamez evAr include:
Crash Bandicoot (Playstation, also works on PSOne for those of you that have it. It will also work on the PS2 as well as the PSTwo, but when it was released, it only worked on the Playstation, as there was no such thing as a PSOne or a PSTwo)
Anyway this game offers the best gameplay evar! It is so varied! You can go forward into the screen, and towards the screen, and even side to side! The box smashing NEVER gets old! It' s a good thing that smashing boxes is all you do in this game, because it is hella fun! And Crash... what a great character with tons of ' tude (' tude is REQUIRED)!!!! Oh my GodXorz! Teh CrashXorz!

Halo (XboxXorZ)
This game is soooooo great, I have no choice bu tto talk about it in " leet speak" :
H4lo 1s 7e|-| 8es7 g4me e\/4r! EVAR! I c4|\||\|o7 8el1e\/e |-|ow gre47 d1s g4me 1s ' /o! I would w1ll1|\|gl' / s4cr1p|-|1ce m' / p|-|4m1l' / p|-|or 7|-|1s g4me. H4lo 1s w|-|ere 17s 47 ' /o!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11! I c4|\||\|o7 w417 p|-|or H4lo 2. OMG 17 1s 8e1|\|g rele4sed 7o|\|1g|-|7!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11 O|-| M' / GoD!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11 I would r47e|-|r sl17 m' / wr1s7s 7|-|4|\| m1ss ou7 o|\| o|\|e m1|\|u7e op|-| 7|-|1s 71g|-|7 g4me ' /o! H4lo 1s 7e|-| 8es7 7|-|1|\|g 7o |-|4ppe|\| e\/er 1|\| 7e|-| e|\|71re world!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11!
!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11!!!!!!!!!!!
111!!!!11!!11!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!11!!11!

Yes, Halo is that good! Proper English simply cannot convey it' s greatness.

< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 11/9/2004 12:11:30 AM >
Vincent Cook

RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 09, 2004 05:17
It doesn' t matter what point of view, just what game you think is the best and what console it is on
Bling

• Total Posts : 67
RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 11, 2004 06:35
Game:Metal Gear Solid
Console:Playstation

Best game i' ve ever played (thats me)
One hell of story,great characters and great gameplay

A game that leaves you askin for more
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 12, 2004 00:24
Sonic 2 really got me into games so I’ll always have a special place in my heart for it. The first was ok but the second really drove home the game play and had the better bosses and overall story.

With that out of the way I’m having a hard time thinking of another game to mention which is why I’ve taken so long to reply to this topic.

I was a huge Sega fan boy back in the day so I’ll look back at my Saturn with rose tinted glasses and mention NiGHTS.

Being the last great game to come from the Sonic Team I’m glad in a way they’ve not done a sequel because knowing them now they’d just ruin it. It was just great, the first really beautiful game. It looked gorgeous back then and it played brilliantly. Of course it was the first game an analogue stick was used for on the Saturn. Look at some modern joy pads now and they all mostly resemble the Saturn analogue controller. Dreamcast, X-Box and Gamecube pads mainly.

What really made NiGHTS wasn’t its story or length, it was the feeling you got from flying about the place, the freedom, the speed and mostly the fun. You didn’t care if the story could be finished in about 2-3 hours, you could just spend endless days re-playing all the levels to get that perfect score. It just made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, something games today rarely manage to do.

Ps, I think it’s time for Joe’s medication again ^_^
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 12, 2004 17:29
SNES - Super Metroid
Gamecube - Metroid Prime
Xbox - Halo, Halo 2
Playstation - Crash Bandicoot 1,2 and 3
PS2 - Socom: US Navy Seals

All have special places in my heart, but I would have to go with Halo for being the best game ever.
< Message edited by Sharon -- 11/12/2004 5:31:44 PM >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 12, 2004 18:28
For me there is no such thing as a Best Game Ever. There are soooooooooooo many awesome games I' ve played over 20 years and across many different genres that I couldn' t even give you a best 5, lol.. A top 20 sure.
Vincent Cook

RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 13, 2004 16:30
Thanks guys for taking part! At first hardly anyone was telling us what their favourite game of all time was. As I have played Halo 2 now I will add that to my best game of all time list. It now stands as :
Metal Gear Solid 2 : Ps2
Halo 2 : Xbox
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 15, 2004 18:34
Atari 2600: Tunnel Runner and anything by Activision or Imagic.
Intellivision: B-17 Bomber!
Colecovision: Tarzan and Donkey Kong.
NES: Contra and Mario.
Sega Genesis: Sid Meier' s Pirates, Sonic (any), Star Flight.
SNES: Mario (any) and RBI Baseball.
Sega Saturn: Panzer Dragoon (any), Daytona USA, Hexen, & Dragon Force.
Playstation: Spyro, Croc, Gex, and pretty much any RPG.
Sega Dreamcast: DOA and Sega' s Sports Lineup.
PS2: GTA (any) and most any RPG.
XBOX: Halo (both), ESPN Sports Series, & Serious Sam.

I may have missed a few awesome games from a system or two, but this just about says it all...
Starman Anthony

• Total Posts : 563
RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 15, 2004 18:43
Hands down Super Mario bros. 3. It' s what rocketed Mario to what he is now. It' s the staple of his world. Every enemie and stuff come from there. The art direction too has made Mario what he is today and the music also. There can' t be a game that can beat that. I also Agree with the Halo games... but guess what.. heh I never played Halo... Don' t scream at me though I will soon play them when my friend buys an X-Box. Then I will see what all the rave about Halo is.
fathoms

RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 15, 2004 22:34

It' s what rocketed Mario to what he is now.

Um, no. The original SMB not only started the Mario revolution, it started the home video game revolution. Everything sprung from that origin; SM 3 was simply an advancement and enhancement on an already established classic.

If you were playing games when the industry got the massive leap from SMB after the Atari 2600, you' d understand.
Starman Anthony

RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 16, 2004 04:36
Oh ok I see I meant it' s so hard to explain but I know that Super Mario bros. is what made Mario into what he is today but it wasn' t until Super Mario bros. 3 that really made him more better... Man it' s hard to explain but...hmmm.. I tried.. ... But hey thanks for clearing that up for me. So much for me being a big fan of Nintendo and Mario.... what a disapointment.. =^(
fathoms

RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 16, 2004 05:14
Heh...the post wasn' t designed to bring you down or dispute your choice for the greatest game. In fact, a lot of people would agree with you about SM 3. I love the Mario series myself and I' m also a big-time old-school Nintendo fan (not so much these days, but I will always hold the big " N" in the highest possible respect); I just wanted to clarify that one bit about " what made Mario what he is today." That' s all.

Hey, I' m definitely with you. Why do you think I still play Super Mario All-Stars on my SNES just about every week?
Starman Anthony

RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 16, 2004 05:26
Haha ok wow Super Mario All-Stars ^________^ <3
Vincent Cook

RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 16, 2004 06:10
Haha. The only Mario game I have played is Mario 64. Lol
ElectronicsJunkie

• Total Posts : 62
RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 16, 2004 09:48
I' d say we' re going about this the wrong way. We' d first have to establish each major system (3DO doesn' t count) and then pick major (and very generic) genres for each system' s games. The best of each genre would be picked, and then games of similar genre could be compared across systems. Or we could pick from the best of a system of the genres. But I do agree with a previous post where Sharon went and took it down a few systems and favorites. But it seemed to be FPS and Adventure (or in the case of Metroid Prime, a mix of the two). Come on! What' s the best Strategy game ever? What' s the best puzzle game? Which platformer (Super Mario Bros. and the like) is supreme? Is Metroid Prime the best Adventure game, or could Legend of Zelda have a chance in the running? Which RPG is the best? I know that last one is kind of a toughy, but think hard.
Come on people, with all the collective video game knowledge we' ve got under our sleeves, I think we can do this right.
Vincent Cook

RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 16, 2004 18:19
Umm maybe. But the whole point was " What do you think is the best game ever for any console" . It has changed now anyway. Just note your best game for every console if you wish! If not just state you favourite game of all time!
fathoms

RE: The Battle Of The Games : The Best Game Of All Time! - Nov 16, 2004 21:00
Vincent: Only Mario 64? You are DEPRIVED.

Electronics: You' re making it too complicated. There are those of us that have been playing since even before the Atari (arcades), and we understand the complexities inherent to such a question. But we also know that everyone' s going to have different definitions of " best," and different ways of going about it. I say just make it easy; make a distinction between " best" and " favorite" and list them for several platforms. This isn' t the SAT' s.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 26

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message