Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Upcoming adaptations
jabronibasher

• Total Posts : 119
Upcoming adaptations - Aug 15, 2004 18:35
Despite its popularity, game to film adaptations have alwasy been a risky venture for studios. Recently we saw successful conversions such as tomb raider and resident evil( both of which were OK ), but the number of sleepers over the years have far surpassed the number of box office hits. I personally don' t encourage these conversions, unless it' s done faithfully and well. Here are a couple of films that ' might' work.

DRIVER
DEUS EX
ALONE IN THE DARK
ALICE
FATAL FRAME
THE GETAWAY
GTA
HITMAN
MAX PAYNE
MECH WARRIOR
NIGHTMARE CREATURES
METROID
RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN
SpyHunter
Halo

Of course, those are the few games that have movie quality in them, meaning they have a good story, premise, etc, but there are a few that should be left alone. And here they are:

Crazy Taxi
Dead or Alive
Duke Nukem
Soul Calibur
Tekken
PacMan ( WTF? )

These are just rumours though some of them are already in production.
< Message edited by jabronibasher -- 8/15/2004 6:36:29 PM >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Upcoming adaptations - Aug 15, 2004 18:47
The only related game on that list that I could REALLY see working VERY well is Fatal Frame 2: Crimson Butterfly.
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: Upcoming adaptations - Aug 15, 2004 21:05
Tekken and Soul Calibre have POTENTIAL based off the fact that movies have been made off of Mortal Kombat. The problem... it has already been done!
jabronibasher

RE: Upcoming adaptations - Aug 15, 2004 22:30
Heres what i think.

Driver has the potential to be a voilent ganster flick. Correction, ANOTHER violent gangster flick. Non gamers may not even know its based on a game. I think if they shy away from including the main character in the game, it could work.

Deus Ex would be a confusing movie. Not many people will give it a chance, unless there are big names attached.

Alone in the dark( tera reid and christian slater ) , which is probably already done since i saw the trailer, is being handled by Mr Boll of House of the dead fame. Creepy game but im not gonna watch this one.

I dont really have anything to say about Alice, except that its gonna cause some controversy regarding the story and characters.

Fatal Frame...scary but the idea of capturing or was it warding off? ghosts with a polaroid is silly. Could be a dark comedy???

Getaway and GTA, too similar. Getaway will have lots of mispronounced swearing and GTA will have lots of badly spelled words.

The film i really want to see is Hitman and mech warrior. One' s stylish and mysterious, the other loud and clunky with lots of explosions. me like explosions..

As for dead or alive, i suspect that whoevers making it will put a bunch of big breasted women on a tropical island wearing as little clothes as possible. It would make a good film for a bachelor party, but for 5 pounds( i get student discount hehe ) i' d rather watch something else.

Finally for pac man, 1..2...3...WHAT THE F---!?!?!?!?

Anyway, Im too tired to write anymore so good night all.
PS2Poodoo

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Upcoming adaptations - Aug 16, 2004 03:48
Man, the getaway would be an awesome movie IMO. If the guy from The Transporter played the main character I know it would work. That is one badass dude

Hitman would be awesome too. What' s cool about the getaway and hitman is that people who don' t play videogames wouldn' t even know that they were games first. They sound like movies that should have been made anyway.

The hitman could be done very well with the right people behind the camera
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Upcoming adaptations - Aug 17, 2004 04:36
DOnt forget Bloodrayne, they pretty much got the cast and shit ready.
RavenShadow

• Total Posts : 680
RE: Upcoming adaptations - Aug 17, 2004 14:38
As far as I knew Metroid was being made into a movie and might be directed by John Woo but I' m not 100% sure of that.
Alice would be crazy movie, it would be awesome (in theory)
Can always make a movie out of a fighting game just look at Mortal Combat or before that Street Fighter.................

A pacman movie would be quite....interesting haha
jabronibasher

RE: Upcoming adaptations - Aug 17, 2004 22:03
Well pacman is being animated by the japanese. If someone can turn spngebob into a film, i really see no problem with the lovable yellow blob. No wait i do....WTF!?!?!

id like to see how bloodrayne would turn out. not sure about ben kingsly playing the evil vamp though, well not after i saw him in thunderbirds.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Upcoming adaptations - Aug 18, 2004 00:55
Actually the whole camera feature of Fatal Frame 2 could be implemented well into a scary movie under the right hands.. How about M. Night Shyamalyalalalalalan??? I think it could be right up his alley --- just as long as the ghosts aren' t killed by water or that the timeline is faked. ;)
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 8/18/2004 12:56:47 AM >
Starman Anthony

• Total Posts : 563
RE: Upcoming adaptations - Sep 08, 2004 01:14
Oh my goodness... a Pac Man movie?? What? What? is ot going to be an animated full feature film? or Live action?? I would see that.. Oh I can' t wait to see that Sponge Bob movie.
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Upcoming adaptations - Sep 08, 2004 03:47
Mortal Kombat was enjoyable, but a little cheesy...

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is another enjoyable movie set, but comes off as somewhat odd. The nature of an idea (mutated turles) like that, I guess...
Starman Anthony

• Total Posts : 563
RE: Upcoming adaptations - Sep 17, 2004 19:21
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles looked so real though in the movies. It was amazing how real they looked almost made me want to meet them.
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Upcoming adaptations - Sep 17, 2004 22:28
Max Payne could be a great movie if they did it right. Though they need to focus on the story and not fill it full of Matrix style special effects. The Getaway could also be a cool ' British' movie along the same lines as Lock Stock and the like.

A Duke Nukem movie would have been great in 1996 I think. Alas, the character is no longer popular. I don' t know if he' d work today.

I' m as confused as everyone else with the Pac-Man movie.
paul_pso

• Total Posts : 11
RE: Upcoming adaptations - Sep 18, 2004 00:59
I can see it now in the trailer!
FOLLOW ONE MANS DREAMS, TO EAT AS MANY LITTLE DOTS AS POSIBLE!
[insert good actor] -as PACMAN! featuring cutting edge " Dot Eating" technology!
would be an instant classic........or...not
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Upcoming adaptations - Sep 18, 2004 15:02
I would like to see a movie based on either Halo or Metroid series.
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Upcoming adaptations - Sep 19, 2004 04:12
I' m not exactly excited about all of these adaptations. It just seems that Hollywood sees instant cash when they announced these movies. I kind of feel the same way about the Resident Evil movies. I feel that a lot of people like the movies just for the sheer fact that it' s a movie based on Resident Evil. Take this movie and put some other name on it and we' d all be calling it out for the piece of shit that it is. There' s really not been a really good videogame adaptation. The two best so far were Mortal Kombat and the first Tomb Raider...and that' s not saying much.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll