Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Gas Prices
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 56
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: Gas Prices - Aug 30, 2005 18:31
We plug in our cars up here all the time. Otherwise, they aren' t starting up on a cold winter morning. So that is a ridiculous excuse if I ever heard one.

CheeSaw, nothing against you, but I will address this comment

That' s the point. Video games are a luxury. If a person cannot afford them, then they shouldn' t buy them. If you cannot afford gas, however, then you risk losing your livelyhood. Just my POV

So, why is increased expense on a luxury not only accepted, but EXPECTED (as per the other thread), and yet people whine and complain when a necessary comodity increases in cost due to inflation. If you can' t afford gas, ride a bike, take a bus. My point with my original statement is that I find it entertaining that this is an acceptable cost to complain about, but when someone complains about the rise in prices of video games or movies, they are told that " you have to pay more" . It just doesn' t make sense to me.

We now return to the thread already in progress.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Gas Prices - Aug 30, 2005 20:35
Rikka, trust me, I have taken no offense at anything you have stated. In fact, I don' t think we really disagree as much as some may think.

I' m in no way saying that I WANT to pay more for video games, as a hobby. All I look at is the fact that Microsoft lost money on each and every console the first generation. It seems as though people want this to continue! To me, it' s just rediculous to expect that trend to become the de facto way of doing business. As lotusson stated, the cost is made up in the selling of accesories and games. Either way, they' re gonna get that buck!

The bottom line is that prices will not stagnate in this industry. Just like my wages have gone steadily up (never down) since I' ve been in the workforce. Just like the video game industry WILL grow bigger, even though people will complain more and more.

Basically, I agree with lotusson on this one. We* asked for higher prices when we demanded the best technology and made Nintendo the underdog for trying to say fun games were more important than polygon-pushing. I think Joe and Terry have the right idea in trying to discover older titles that may not be so advanced on a tech level, but are just as fun as anything out today. Not me, though. I' m a tech whore!

(* When I say " we" I mean the consumer market in general, and not necessarily people in this forum. Hell, I got a Gamecube even though I only like one game on the damn thing!)
Rikka

RE: Gas Prices - Aug 30, 2005 23:09
CheeSaw, I like you.

So, how about those crazy electic cars they drive in Canada? LOL Seriously, when a colleague from Austrailia came here, he had never heard of block heaters or interior warmers, and he thought we plugged in our electric cars everynight. See, it is only funny if you know that most of us up here have to plug in our cars to make sure that they start in the morning during winter... so all of our vehicles have extension cords coming out of them.... ok, i am going to stop now, before i make a bigger fool of myself.

umm, gas prices suck! There we go, back on track.
Chee Saw

RE: Gas Prices - Aug 30, 2005 23:25

ORIGINAL: Rikka

CheeSaw, I like you.

mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Gas Prices - Aug 31, 2005 07:30
YOu make it sound like the arctiv up here Rikka!! I only plug in my car about 2-3 months of the year, and if I park it in my garage, not at all hardly. By the way, what' s with the love fest around here??
Rikka

RE: Gas Prices - Aug 31, 2005 10:56
MXPX I love you too! (there are you happy now)

some of us don' t ahve garages.... or interior warmers But I do have command start!
Eastwood

• Total Posts : 158
RE: Gas Prices - Sep 01, 2005 13:17
gas prices are out of control here in DC -- they basically went up $.40 overnight. They way people use their gas around here it' s gonna have to have at least some effect on the way people get to work....
kombatfighter

• Total Posts : 428
RE: Gas Prices - Sep 01, 2005 15:08
OMG, in SC the lowest gas price is $3.20 now!!!
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Gas Prices - Sep 01, 2005 18:00
Yep. It just went up 50 cents last night here. Bush said he was gonna go at the gas companies for Price gouging this morning. It' s illegal to make that big of a jump over night. I hope they get slapped with some huge fines and are forced to bring it back down to the mid $2 range. $2.70 should be the max.
Phoenixxx1974

• Total Posts : 332
RE: Gas Prices - Sep 02, 2005 21:30
Hey everyone i found this site you should check out.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/gasprices/states/index.shtml

it' s to find the cheapest gas in your area but it may be like a day or 2 behind since it' s updated every every couple days or so. Over here the some gas station were out of gas and gas here is costing around $3.19 and 3.29 but if you have a costco card we got it for 2.75 which is cheap here.

We need to get rid of this dependcy on fossil fuels and do what i was told sweden is doing and going with the hydrogen fuel cells that don' t have any internal combustion and require no oil. I don' t want to get too political but if Al gore (who actually won the presidency) actually became president we would already being on them. He was the one who made the greenhouse gases treaty which Bush refused to sign which is stupid seeing how we produce more grenhouse gases then any other country. I hope i am not pissing people off but Bush' s friends are oil tycoon and don' t tell me the iraq thing was for " liberation" it was for oil and a personal vendetta against saddam. He even said on tv before the war that Saddam tried to have his dad killed plus Bush sr didn' t finish the job and betrayed the Iraqis. I was also upset at bush for making the very incensitive comment about Ms. sheehan' s son saying " i have to get on with my life and put his death behind me" seeing how it' s his fault we are there on lies.

sorry everyone if i offended anyone who is a bush suporter i had to get that out there.
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Gas Prices - Sep 02, 2005 21:32
hey rampage i didn' t direct the comment at you i just accidently clicked on on reply to yours instead of the post reply button.
kombatfighter

• Total Posts : 428
RE: Gas Prices - Sep 02, 2005 21:55
Ah good...gas pricing has finally come to a stand still. Even tho it' s still rather high. One can only hope that it will drop a little.
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Gas Prices - Sep 03, 2005 10:02
not very likely. It might raise because of the oil spill on the mississippi river by new orleans.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9175553/
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: Gas Prices - Sep 08, 2005 20:58
I' m glad I don' t own a car, well actually I' m not taking the bus is a bitch. The price of gas is only going to go up. But if you think about it, gas isn' t all that expensive if you compare it with other liquids by volume. Bottled water costs over 20$ per gallon and eye drops (which is little more than purified salt water) can cost up to 800$ dollars per gallon. With supply dropping and demand increasing the price of gas isn' t looking to good for the future. Don' t you just hate those jerk offs who drive those big suvs (obviously compensating for something) that take up to 20 times more gasoline then other cars.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Gas Prices - Sep 08, 2005 21:57
Prices here seem to be dropping and holding around the $2.60-70 range. Just in time to cuz I' ma be doing alot of driving soon.
Chee Saw

RE: Gas Prices - Sep 09, 2005 02:59

ORIGINAL: Game Junkie

Don' t you just hate those jerk offs who drive those big suvs (obviously compensating for something) that take up to 20 times more gasoline then other cars.

Preach on, brother! I' ve always laughed when people justify driving an SUV, saying " it' s for my family' s safety" when; A) They are the only one driving it 90% of the time, and B) Safety ratings on SUVs are pretty comparable with quite a few cars and minivans. It' s just a matter of keeping up with the Jones' s. Status - pure and simple.

Pickup trucks are even worse! I NEVER see anybody actually hauling stuff with them!
Rampage99

RE: Gas Prices - Sep 09, 2005 06:32
Gah, stop complaing about SUVs. They are safe. the tip fairly easily but they are built like a rock. Also, they are somehwat of a status symbol. It' s not compesating for anything(unless you slap huge tires on it and try to make it look like a monster truck). People just like to show they have money. I for the most part have nothing wrong with that. My Uncle and Aunt have 3 SUVs. Why? Becuase they can. My family doesn' t have a SUV. We have a 12 passenger van, but not an SUV.

About the truck statement. I had a ' 99 Ford ranger for three years until it broke down and I got my Tiburon. I hauled stuff in that all the time. It was so helpful for moving to college. I tried putting all the stuff that I had in my truck into my Tib when I moved back home for the summer and that was the worst experince ever. I couldn' t see out of any of my windows and even had stuff resting on my lap because I ran out of room. Not to mention if I ever ran out of room for friends inside my truck they would always just hop in the back. That get trucks for no apparent reason and never use the bed and those guys are retarded, but a lot of people do use their trucks for hauling.
Chee Saw

RE: Gas Prices - Sep 09, 2005 07:09
The bottom line, to me, is that driving an SUV because you " can" is irresponsible. When you look at all of the terrorism that is not only happening IN the middle-east, but is now spilling out into the U.S. and Europe and all peace loving nations of the world, and think about the fact that WE are funding this shit by driving around our " status symbols" , I think it is horrendous. To me, everyone who drives an SUV and a pickup truck is partially responsible for 9/11 and the recent bombings in England. I know it' s a stretch, but think about it. We could make such a big difference in the money that flows through all of these terrorist regimes, but we just bury our head in the sand like we don' t play a part.

Car companies don' t care! They' re all about money. They won' t seriously work on fuel efficiency until the public speaks up, with their wallets. The sad fact of the matter is that people are like children. They will continue to do things, just because " they can" until someone steps in and says, " we can no longer allow you to do this because it is harming the environment, world peace, and other people on the road." We like our freedom, but we lack the common sense to utilize it properly. If we didn' t, SUVs would not be on the road, I assure you.

The next time you' re on the expressway, look around. Just look at how many SUVs have only one person in them. Look at how many pick-up trucks don' t have a damn thing in the back! I was driving to work a couple of weeks back and probably saw upwards of fifty SUVs. Three of them had more than one passenger! THREE OUT OF FIFTY! I' m fairly confident that that ratio does not change very much from day to day. Can you drive an SUV? Damn straight. It' s a right that you have as a citizen of a free and democratic nation, but just because something can be done, doesn' t mean that is should be done.

Conclusion: People nowadays have no regard for the environment or their place in this world. They live in their little microcosm of a world, with total disregard for other human beings, and it is sad.
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Gas Prices - Sep 09, 2005 07:41
Posted in the wrong topic. deleted.
< Message edited by mxpx182 -- 9 Sep 05 15:43:58 >
Rampage99

RE: Gas Prices - Sep 09, 2005 07:42
Chee Saw, no offense, but after reading your first paragraph Your arguement pretty much lost all validity to me. At this point I' m not even going go on with this debate.
< Message edited by Rampage99 -- 9 Sep 05 16:09:00 >
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 56

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread