Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Your first game
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 49 of 49
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Your first game - Apr 30, 2008 16:04
lol awesome.
killemoff

• Total Posts : 173
RE: Your first game - Apr 30, 2008 17:36

ORIGINAL: Dreadknux

Ah, my first taste of gaming proper was when I was 6, and I bagged myself a Master System with Sonic built in. Also got Ghostbusters and Lucky Dime Caper (such a great game), but I' d say Sonic MS was my first played game on a console I owned.

Then came the Amiga, and Lemmings took over my life. That and Captain Planet (bastard-hard game that is).

Are you Dreadknux from TSS? Welcome anyway.
Dreadknux

• Total Posts : 35
RE: Your first game - Apr 30, 2008 20:31

Are you Dreadknux from TSS? Welcome anyway.

Word gets around. ;P I am he. It' s odd to see how many Dreadknux imitators there are on the interwebs.

Anyway, if we' re talking first game bought, then it was probably Sonic 2 on the Master System. As a kid, Sonic was my religion... I remember getting pissed off after getting and completing Sonic Chaos because I realised there were no more Sonic games coming out on MS (looking towards Sonic 3 & Knuckles).

Some of the best games I bought as a kid though were from boot sale ' Amiga Caravans' that held craploads of PD stuff and disk games. I got Rambo III for free because the guy couldn' t sell it. I could see why when I played it...
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Your first game - Apr 30, 2008 23:30
First game I bought was UFO: Enemy Unknown for my 33MHz DX PC. I think it was about 12 quid brand new, for imo the best game ever. Second game was Syndicate by Bullfrog. Those gauss guns were incredible, especially on the last level The Atlantic Accelerator, it was carnage.

Man £50 for games nowadays is extortion!
< Message edited by choupolo -- 30 Apr 08 15:30:48 >
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: Your first game - Apr 30, 2008 23:35
first game bought? that' s a toughie; relatively recent in terms of when I started. It was probably Transport Tycoon on PC - everything else before that was either bought for me or copied.
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Your first game - Apr 30, 2008 23:40
First game bought would have been Elite for my Acorn Electron, all the way back in 1984.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Your first game - Apr 30, 2008 23:41
UFO Enemy Unknown was ace, i never bought it though, id buy a remake any day though. I bought Terror from the Depths though
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Your first game - May 01, 2008 09:31
Terror from the Deep was brilliant as well, which figures since it was pretty much the same game with different colours. Those Tentaculat' s, the brains with tentacles (which looked more like Testaculats) were hard!

Each mission was procedurally generated so every one played out differently. And sometimes the role of the dice was so ruthless. Once I' d built up the ultimate team of soldiers, pinpoint accuracy at shooting, hard as nails, high-tech state of the art full-body armour made from planes, and an unstoppable armoury of weapons (blasterbomb launcher!!). I had one clear leader of my group of 12 soldiers who was legendary and had been there since the beginning whilst others perished (each playthrough could last months in real world time), and one second in command.

During one alien ship crash landing at night, I suddenly faced a new enemy - the Ethereals - mysterious floating cloaked aliens. My leader steps out of the aircraft after landing at the site, and without me realising, disappears into the darkness. The rest of my crew are obviously mortified at losing their leader and morale suddenly drops (morale is an in-game stat which affects everything else).

So they split up to start flushing the area out carefully. Suddenly my second in command spots an enemy, and when I scroll over to see it - its my commander standing in the dark (each of your controllable crew get a radius of light to symbolise field of view) unselectable and looking evil. My commander, mind controlled by the computer, then procedes to systematically wipe out my entire crew (like a scene from Predator) and all attempts to take him down fail. I crap myself because I made him and I know how hard he is.

The last guy left was a rookie who had just joined the elite crew, pumped up with armour and weaponry but no battlefield experience. He shits himself drops all his stuff and tries to leg it (you lose control of the characters when they panic), so I spend the next 5 minutes just ending my turn as this kid runs around the battlefield. He eventually stops, but then comes face to face with the Ethereal race of aliens, and before he can turn around gets blasted in the face. Game over.

When thats your first experience of proper gaming, you can' t help but compare every action, shooter and rpg to it after and feel something' s missing!
< Message edited by choupolo -- 1 May 08 1:35:20 >
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Your first game - May 01, 2008 14:23
Your right Choupolo, no one has ever done a game like that since, it had everything. Think of them making it today with solid RPG elements between missions.

Id drool!

IGN made it as the best game ever a yaer ago or so!
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 49 of 49

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message