Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here.
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 21 to 40 of 97
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 16, 2007 19:12

ORIGINAL: Grant Delmore

And to be honest i haven' t even looked into mass effect and the only thing ive seen is that its supposed to have life like npc' s or something.

CLICK
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 16, 2007 19:50
Apart from some small issues, Mass Effect is probably one of the best games I have every played. I literally lost myself in it for 3 hours and not realized it - a rare thing for me.

You can tell that Bioware really pushed the system in its endeavor so let' s get this out of the way first. Yes, Mass Effect does have framerate, caching and tearing issues in some areas. It' s not horrible but for those elitist/purists that just can' t deal with 30FPS and occasional stutters, it may be enough to turn them off the game completely. Fortunately I am not one of those people, and those who are will miss out on one fantastic experience. Sometimes the self shadowing can be a little glitchy too, but this is not so much a limitation of the game as it is a limitation of current raster graphics. The only real solution to this problem is Ray Tracing and that' s still a way off.

Graphically it' s superb. While not all areas are super detailed, it still fits with the entire sci-fi theme perfectly. Whatever area or planet you' re in, it really feels like you' re in a completely different time and world. Incredible amounts of attention to detail has gone into this game. Everything you encounter in ME has a history and culture behind it. Just reading the amount of codex material alone would take you hours. My hat' s off to Bioware in this regard. ME has such depth to it that it' s not just believable. It' s an experience.

Character design is the best I' ve seen.

Combat is a bit overwhelming at first. There is a learning curve involved but once you get past it, it' s quite fluid. I' m still learning too. This might put off casual gamers. Squad AI seems average but once I get better at the tactical side of things I' m sure things will work out better.

On the whole I was very impressed. This may be because I decided to not hype it up at all and kept my exposure to media coverage a minimum. I' d write more about it but I don' t want to spoil anything for you guys - and I want to get back to playing. Put simply. Mass Effect rocks hard.

Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 16, 2007 23:46
indeed unluckyone, a fantastic game even with its small problems, i' m still overwhelmed with all the things i should learn, not only about the culture and history but also how things work " exactly" and i still don' t know how to make cash, i' m like in 2h30 of the game. if you know let me know, because i see a lot of armors to purchase yet i' m unable to purchase most of them if not all.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 17, 2007 02:10
The game has a reincarnation of HK-47!

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/718/718963/vid_2201363.aspx

I would have prefered to see a HK-47 crossover, but this will do.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 17, 2007 02:36
What!? Was that fat alien supposed to be HK-47? Or that shorter one with armor? Eh...?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 17, 2007 03:03
Elcor appears to be the spiritual successor to HK-47, not a literal reincarnation. But yeah it' s the fat alien.

Pay close attention to the way he dictates the tone of what he says, the way that HK-47 did because neither HK-47 or Elcor are able to convey emotion. Elcor probably doesn' t have the same crudeness as HK-47, but this race has the same niche that allows them to be the innocent asshole.

Trust me this race of aliens will be a great source of humour.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 16 Nov 07 19:10:12 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 17, 2007 03:14
Can' t wait until next week,Crysis is fun,but its more like watching a movie directed by Micheal Bay,like unlimited cash of special effects and you cant belive what you see each second,but it still lack that core of " fun" which makes the game fantastic,sure Crysis is sometimes fantastic ghameplay wise,but most its not,I miss a game like Mass effect,.

Well next week im getting ME+Assassins Creed+Ace combat6.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 17, 2007 11:53
Grant, the only way you could have overlooked MassEffect is if youre retarded or a fanboy. Ill be nice and let you choose.
Majik

• Total Posts : 374
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 18, 2007 05:56

QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 18, 2007 07:33
Just pre-orderd ME+AC6.

ME HERE I FUCKING COME!!!
Abasoufiane

RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 19, 2007 09:12
now here is a thing that really pisses me off, there is almost no checkpoint specialy before the boss, first you always have to remember to save and when you feel that shit will happen , then you better save. when you fight against a boss and you die, it' s back to your saving point, more importantly you will have to repeat that cut scene over and over again. why can' t developer learn from the other games, look how God of war for exemple pulled that off, if you die with a boss , you' ll repeat with hjim right away unless you want to load your save point. i can' t believe some decisions some times , how can they make such a mistake. check points is becoming a necessety in modern games, it' s very annoying and repetetive to go back to zero point or repeat a cut scene over and over again without the ability to skip it.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 19, 2007 10:40
There are quite a few checkpoints I' ve found. Every time you exit/enter the Normandy, planetary exploration, whenever you quick travel, and important parts there is usually a checkpoint. I save regularly in RPG' s anyway because I know how frustrating it is to lose any levels/items you have. Too many bad experiences with JRPG' s can do that. It' s a fine line to travel. You don' t want too many checkpoints either as that can just get annoying too.

There is the ability to skip most conversations and scenes with the X button. I' ve only encountered a couple that you can' t skip and they' re incredibly short.
Abasoufiane

RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 19, 2007 19:16
hell no there is no ability to skip scenes with the x buttons simply because in these scenes there is that dialogue tree. no way for the x button to skip that and i tried every single button. there is also no checkpoints before the important part, where did you get that ? look i' m not asking for a permanent save point , but a checkpoint you know , so if you die you start right away from taht point without ACTUALY saving the game, this is found ina shit load of games and it works like a charm... noo mister this is not present in mass effect.
Abasoufiane

RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 19, 2007 19:38
i sincerely appologise, it seems like you can skip the cut scenes (rather pass them forward), with the X button, and i did try that before but it didn' t happen , that is soo weird, anyway my mistake thanks unlucky.
Grant Delmore

• Total Posts : 76
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 19, 2007 19:52
I just watched the video nitro pointed me too... I dont see what everyone is on about :\ looks like another tired old shooter to me.
Whats most of the hype? Someone explain the fine points that set this above other games. Try give me a reason to start hyping :\
Also i thought it was supposed to be a RPG..... Rpg shooter? Weird mix :\
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 19, 2007 20:15
Noob and fanboy weird mix
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 19, 2007 20:22

ORIGINAL: Grant Delmore

I just watched the video nitro pointed me too... I dont see what everyone is on about :\ looks like another tired old shooter to me.
Whats most of the hype? Someone explain the fine points that set this above other games. Try give me a reason to start hyping :\

Y' know what, ...it doesn' t matter. There' s zero need for you to contemplate playing the game because you' re not fu©king worthy.

YOU. ARE. NOT. WORTHY.

Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 19, 2007 21:45

I guess if you dont know about Mass Effect, your probably not going to enjoy it. Its from the greatest developer to ever create RPGs

Also RPG is the main game, hwo ever you play the combat doesnt really matter as long as it isnt a sucky system liek FF
Grant Delmore

• Total Posts : 76
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 19, 2007 22:47
Does it still have rpg elements like stats and stuff? Or is it basicly just a shooter with quests and story?
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 20, 2007 00:11
It has stats and quests, its like Knights of the Old Republic in a different setting.
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 21 to 40 of 97

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message