Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here.
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 41 to 60 of 97
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 20, 2007 00:29

ORIGINAL: Grant Delmore

Does it still have rpg elements like stats and stuff? Or is it basicly just a shooter with quests and story?

Watch Gametrailers Video Review

The only reason i can see somebody not being interested in this game is if they just don' t like sci-fi.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 20, 2007 00:54
Got to play some of ME,

Get the things i ' did not' like out of the way:

Noticed some serious framerate issues (especially in action). Also, from the Videos, ME looks to play / take alot from the usual 3rd Person shooters but was let down to find out underneath lies ' RPG Battle instructions' WTF?.. I found this way too weird to get used to. Why not proper real-time combat ? yes, It' s a clever way to try and lean Non-RPGers to play ME but i found it a massive let down TBH. Also, that 6-wheeled Tank-thing Controls like a horrible. Again, why this choice of control is beyond me..

The things i liked are:

The story is actually interesting and engrossing.
Talking to other AI species over and over again is not as bad as i first thought.
On most part The design of these Aliens are awesome and are soo believable.
The Sound track is Great.

Whats the estimated play-time of ME? Sems to have soo much paths and side quests.

Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 20, 2007 01:22

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

Whats the estimated play-time of ME? Sems to have soo much paths and side quests.

20hrs without sidequests. Up to 40 otherwise.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 20, 2007 12:38
I went to buy it today and they had them at the mall. I picked up a copy, walked out the store and realised that it was the French version... MOTHER FUCKER! No problem I thought, i' ll just exchange it for an english copy. No luck, they didn' t have any english copies, WTF!? I hate this province.

I got my refund and headed for EBGames, only to find out that they' re only selling them tomorrow. The thing is, they told me that had a few spots left. I was like huh? " You guys are going to sell out?" He laughed.

My point is, if you don' t have a pre order you might have to get up early tomorrow to get your copy (assuming you don' t have it already). It probably depends on where you live to, if you' re surrounded by stores selling games than you might not have any issues. But it looks like there will be a shortage of the game in a lot of places

Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 21, 2007 04:47

Why make me watch unskippable cut-scenes before a tough battle where I' m going to die and then have to watch the scenes over and over again?

1up review

i told you so !
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 21, 2007 08:54

ORIGINAL: Abasoufiane

Why make me watch unskippable cut-scenes before a tough battle where I' m going to die and then have to watch the scenes over and over again?

1up review

i told you so !

I literally have no idea where this issue has come from. So far I' ve been able to skip nearly every scene and the ones that I can' t are less than 5 seconds long. Maybe the reviewer is just crap at the game and keeps on dying in stupid places.
Abasoufiane

RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 21, 2007 09:05
i think the difficulty changes significantly depending on the class you choose anyway forget it.
Agent Ghost

RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 23, 2007 02:52
Like I said in another thread I' m loving the game. However, why the *** didn' t they use the same combat system as in Kotor? Instead they went for some half-ass realtime system.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 22 Nov 07 18:52:45 >
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 23, 2007 05:14

However, why the *** didn' t they use the same combat system as in Kotor?

To make it accesible to everyone, you know the same reason oblivions combat system sucks.

I like die roles taking care of things in rpg games, makes it feel more true. the combat in NW and KotoR was perfect.
Agent Ghost

RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 23, 2007 08:35
Fuck everyone, Bioware should know better. Kotor seemed to be accessible to enough people. Bioware should have appealed to the fans, not some theoretical market.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 23, 2007 09:22
I played it 6 hours straight today, it' s been a long time since I sit down with a game for six hours.

The framerate issues are extremely exagerated, at worst the game drops down to 20fps when alot of stuff is on screen, it doesn' t affect game play because this isn' t a shooter, it' s an RPG and the shooting elements are much more slow paced than your typical FPS.

The story is also fantastic, this is the first western RPG that can really rival the story/settings from Japanese RPGs. (KOTOR/Morrowind/Oblivion/NWN,etc. story' s are garbage)

I hope they follow it up with some sequels.
< Message edited by emofag -- 23 Nov 07 1:26:56 >
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 23, 2007 09:37
Got it today. Drop any concerns about poor areas in graphics. It all looks fantastic, just some areas look extra fantastic. You just need to see it in motion.

Framerate does drop, but it wont bother you when you get so much beauiful art direction. Exploration of the worlds, story and characters just never ends.

I' m glad the first thing I could do was change the look of the main character. I thought he looked fugly. Now he looks more like me....

The music isn' t as good as Bladerunner, but a few of the scenes really make me want to watch it again.

I quite like the combat system, even though I thought I wouldn' t from the trailers. I use the pistol a lot over the rifle, and not so much of a biotic user, but I dont have any issues with it. Only the sticking to walls system can be a bit slow. Better done in R6 Vegas and Gears.

I did die a couple of times and have to rewatch a fairly short but irritatingly unskipable cutscnene on more than one occasion. The first Colossus you have to fight on foot - sent me back to the very beginning of the planet cos I didnt save! And fight the fat lizardy thing after saving the archeologist on the same planet, made me watch the precending cutscene 2-3 times more than I wanted to.

The story is deep in terms of the world you' re in, but ultimately standard. In the end its your usual sci-fi mysterious technology from an ancient advanced race that everyone wants becuase they think its a weapon to rule the universe, but will probably winds up being a corny message of peace and love. (Or a gun to make others see things from your point of view... Hitchhiker' s anyone?? ) Haven' t got very far in the story yet so things might change....

So it ended up ME>COD4>Assassins Creed>HL2 Orange Box>Bioshock>Halo 3>Crysis for me in the running for GOTY. UTIII will fit in there fairly high up I' d expect.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 23 Nov 07 2:13:57 >
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 23, 2007 12:00
For saying KOTORs story wasnt good your opinion is invalid.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 24, 2007 07:36
If you like any star wars story you' re a fucking idiot plain and simple.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 24, 2007 16:28
Hated KOTOR love the fuck out of Mass Effect...and not just for its lovely name.

Only one thing has pissed me off so far in it and that was just a minor glitch during a mission I had 3:00 minutes to clear out this place beofre it blows up and I did so. I ran for the elevator jumped thru the door and looked for the switch only to realized the elevatorwas 2 floors above my head...Since you cant jump or climb or anything I couldnt get out of the damn shaft and just ahd to wait for the timer to kill off me and my team...it was weird and annoying beyond fuck all else. But i got over it. AMazing game. to tired to type coherently tonite fuck it.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 24, 2007 19:26
People you can skip cutscenes with " X" button,seen reviewer+people complain about it.

But they missed it apparently.

Okay so X= not skip,but fastforward but still...

Abasoufiane

RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 24, 2007 20:14
some scenes cannot be skipped and even if they are relatively short, if you die over and over again in the place, it becomes a chore.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 25, 2007 04:04
Is it just me or does the graphics seem to have some kind of grainy filter?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 25, 2007 04:11
Yeah, that can be turned off from settings though.

I like die roles taking care of things in rpg games, makes it feel more true. the combat in NW and KotoR was perfect.

I' ll put my own skill & reflexes before a random die roll any day thanks.
Majik

• Total Posts : 374
RE: Mass effect, your own impressions and reviews here. - Nov 25, 2007 04:27
Both the film grain and motion blur can be toggled on/off in the Graphics menu in Options.
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 41 to 60 of 97

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message