Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 m$ to sell blu ray 360 at a loss
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
m$ to sell blu ray 360 at a loss - Apr 02, 2008 22:22
Looks like M$ are looking seriously at Blu ray and they might sell a blu ray enabled 360 at a loss!!!

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/04/02/blu_ray_xbox_chart_track_sales/
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: m$ to sell blu ray 360 at a loss - Apr 02, 2008 22:35
in the bigger picture, selling the console at a loss is ok if you can make it up through game sales and the larger attach rate for the 360 makes this attractive. This is the business model for mobile phone providers so can' t see why it won' t work. Sure you' ll get a short term taunting from sony about adopting ' their' standard but long term it cuts out the key benefit of the ps3.

It certainly is attractive for me - I' ll be buying a bluray player this year and at the moment it will be a ps3; if a 360 version arrives, I' ll upgrade and sell my old one.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: m$ to sell blu ray 360 at a loss - Apr 03, 2008 00:23
Like I said. They' re going to release something to be able to support Blu-Ray. The question is now in what form. I was thinking they' d go external, and I' ve still got my doubts they' ll release a new Blu-Ray SKU without downsizing the entire console, but the source at RegHardware got me thinking

The source claimed that, in order to incorporate a Blu-ray drive, a next generation Xbox 360 will be developed by Microsoft. Apparently the redesigned console will have a lower wattage power supply, helping to reduce production costs and the gaming system’s size.

If the power supply' s external, why would a lower wattage system decrease size? The only way I can see it happening is if they release a " Slim" 360.

Edit:

at the moment it will be a ps3; if a 360 version arrives, I' ll upgrade and sell my old one.

How do we know the 360' s gonna provide better playback? I haven' t seen any side by sides with standalone players, but the general consensus is that the PS3' s Blu-Ray playback is quite respectable.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 2 Apr 08 16:25:12 >
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: m$ to sell blu ray 360 at a loss - Apr 03, 2008 01:04
Blueray 360s, waiste of time..

Give it a year at the most and u' ll see MS loose interest in 360 and concentrate on it' s successor.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: m$ to sell blu ray 360 at a loss - Apr 03, 2008 01:20

Give it a year at the most and u' ll see MS loose interest in 360 and concentrate on it' s successor.

MMmmm i cant wait!
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: m$ to sell blu ray 360 at a loss - Apr 03, 2008 02:03

general consensus is that the PS3' s Blu-Ray playback is quite respectable.

And this is what will drive PS3 sales this year, along with an outstanding game lineup. MS knows this, and this is why they are now scrambling to come out with some sort of Blu-ray external add-on or yet another brand new SKU.

If you think about it, MS is being very smart. Not only are they working on the Blu-ray idea, but they are also working on getting Netflix on Live. MS is covering all of the bases.
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: m$ to sell blu ray 360 at a loss - Apr 03, 2008 02:21

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

Blueray 360s, waiste of time..

Ofcourse . They have to do it before the true power of the PS3 will be harnessed .... in 6 years ..
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: m$ to sell blu ray 360 at a loss - Apr 03, 2008 03:51
easy on the sku' s ms, an stand alone bluray player makes sense.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: m$ to sell blu ray 360 at a loss - Apr 03, 2008 04:28

Erm... no?
canadagamer

RE: m$ to sell blu ray 360 at a loss - Apr 03, 2008 05:10
MS denies this rumour:

DigiTimes may stand by their informant who claimed that Lite-On was manufacturing Blu-ray drives for the Xbox 360, but Microsoft—who DigiTimes claimed refused to comment on the rumor, making it all the jucier—has apparently sent a statement to TechRadar denying that Lite-On is producing Blu-ray drives for their console.

" No. Lite-On is not manufacturing Blu-ray drives for Xbox 360. As we have stated, games are what are driving consumers to purchase game consoles and we remain focused on providing the largest library of blockbuster game available.

Hmmm. I wonder if DigiTimes will back down now that Microsoft has spoken, or if they' ll continue following the mystical BluBox 360 with a different drive manufacturer at the helm.

LINK

mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: m$ to sell blu ray 360 at a loss - Apr 03, 2008 05:35

MS denies this rumour:
Meh. Whats new?
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: m$ to sell blu ray 360 at a loss - Apr 03, 2008 05:41
They also vehemently denied claims that a new SKU was in production after people were getting antsy about the lack of HDMI on the premium.... as leaked pictures were being released.
canadagamer

RE: m$ to sell blu ray 360 at a loss - Apr 03, 2008 05:52
If it does end up being true, then I really hope that they decide to have it as an external add on. We don' t need yet another 360 SKU.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll