Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The official Far Cry 2 Thread
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 47 of 47
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:The official Far Cry 2 Thread - Oct 27, 2008 14:47

FC2 could have been much better if they directed it to the PC's full potential..

I agree with this.  I don't think 360 or PS3 games suffer too much by having it on PC, but PC games really suffer by having them multiplatform.  FC2 is a perfect example.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:The official Far Cry 2 Thread - Oct 27, 2008 18:48

Do you really think it's that bad Zoy?

Well...  my problem with it is that it's been compared to the sandbox-type open world of GTA.  Now, everyone knows I have some harsh critiques with the GTA series but one thing it does well is give you a huge open space to explore right from the beginning.  The first couple of hours of Far Cry 2 are really quite restrictive, both in what's possible mission-wise and where you can go.  Transposed into Liberty City, the Far Cry experience would basically amount to you getting a three-star wanted level every time you want to drive through an intersection.  And in a lot of cases, you can't just find a hidden pathway around the checkpoints.  And they'll often be re-stocked with enemies the next time you come through.  Maybe it opens up more after the first couple of hours... I can only hope so.  But I don't have the patience to slog through that.

All the characters basically have the same personality: grim, hushed, tense.  At least in GTA there is some joie-de-vivre among people in a bad situation.

The other main beef I have with it is the combination of the player's abilities with the damage system.  Here's a rather oversimplified breakdown of my experience with what I consider the best of the FPS genre, but you'll get the point:

Halo 3: Superhuman agility, superhuman damage resistance
COD4: Human agility, human damage resistance

Far Cry 2: Human agility, superhuman damage resistance

If you're going to mix and match those characteristics, I would have gone the opposite way: superhuman agility tempered by regular human vulnerability to damage.  Far Cry 2's mix leads to more tedious battles rather than more exciting ones.

Anyhow, with Gamestop's buy-2-used-games-get-1-free deal over the weekend, I came out in significantly better standing with Mass Effect, The Orange Box and PGR4.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:The official Far Cry 2 Thread - Nov 11, 2008 01:05
i like this game... but god damn it how come at every crossroads/intersection there are people shooting me? it makes it REALLY hard to get anything done.

"as usual dont expect help from our troops" oh yeah well fuck you
<message edited by Silentbomber on Nov 11, 2008 01:06>
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:The official Far Cry 2 Thread - Nov 11, 2008 01:32
Yeah, that was a major cop-out for them not integrating a functional party alignment system.

I like the game plenty, and the map editor's a blast. It's far from perfect, and all of your complaints (Zoy's in particular) are valid, but some games are just tons of fun, despite their visible setbacks.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:The official Far Cry 2 Thread - Nov 11, 2008 03:13
CryEngine sux so much peepee.  The performance is still shit for the detail you get.  nubs are pissing me off so much, I could rip the face off a nerd
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:The official Far Cry 2 Thread - Nov 11, 2008 15:44
I dunno Im not 'feeling' this game.... doubht i will finish it... LBP next week for me!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:The official Far Cry 2 Thread - Nov 11, 2008 16:28
So, open question to everyone who bought LBP. Has it gotten old yet? How's the level community?
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 47 of 47

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message