The official Far Cry 2 Thread

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 47 of 47
Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Re:The official Far Cry 2 Thread - Oct 27, 2008 14:47

FC2 could have been much better if they directed it to the PC's full potential..

I agree with this.  I don't think 360 or PS3 games suffer too much by having it on PC, but PC games really suffer by having them multiplatform.  FC2 is a perfect example.
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
  • Reward points : 0
Re:The official Far Cry 2 Thread - Oct 27, 2008 18:48

Do you really think it's that bad Zoy?

Well...  my problem with it is that it's been compared to the sandbox-type open world of GTA.  Now, everyone knows I have some harsh critiques with the GTA series but one thing it does well is give you a huge open space to explore right from the beginning.  The first couple of hours of Far Cry 2 are really quite restrictive, both in what's possible mission-wise and where you can go.  Transposed into Liberty City, the Far Cry experience would basically amount to you getting a three-star wanted level every time you want to drive through an intersection.  And in a lot of cases, you can't just find a hidden pathway around the checkpoints.  And they'll often be re-stocked with enemies the next time you come through.  Maybe it opens up more after the first couple of hours... I can only hope so.  But I don't have the patience to slog through that.

All the characters basically have the same personality: grim, hushed, tense.  At least in GTA there is some joie-de-vivre among people in a bad situation.

The other main beef I have with it is the combination of the player's abilities with the damage system.  Here's a rather oversimplified breakdown of my experience with what I consider the best of the FPS genre, but you'll get the point:

Halo 3: Superhuman agility, superhuman damage resistance
COD4: Human agility, human damage resistance

Far Cry 2: Human agility, superhuman damage resistance

If you're going to mix and match those characteristics, I would have gone the opposite way: superhuman agility tempered by regular human vulnerability to damage.  Far Cry 2's mix leads to more tedious battles rather than more exciting ones.

Anyhow, with Gamestop's buy-2-used-games-get-1-free deal over the weekend, I came out in significantly better standing with Mass Effect, The Orange Box and PGR4.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
Re:The official Far Cry 2 Thread - Nov 11, 2008 01:05
i like this game... but god damn it how come at every crossroads/intersection there are people shooting me? it makes it REALLY hard to get anything done.

"as usual dont expect help from our troops" oh yeah well fuck you
<message edited by Silentbomber on Nov 11, 2008 01:06>

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
Re:The official Far Cry 2 Thread - Nov 11, 2008 01:32
Yeah, that was a major cop-out for them not integrating a functional party alignment system.

I like the game plenty, and the map editor's a blast. It's far from perfect, and all of your complaints (Zoy's in particular) are valid, but some games are just tons of fun, despite their visible setbacks.
"I'll wager sixty finest English pence that you defeat Big Sister in the end by shagging her to death."

Kikizo.com - Excellence in Journalism

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
Re:The official Far Cry 2 Thread - Nov 11, 2008 03:13
CryEngine sux so much peepee.  The performance is still shit for the detail you get.  nubs are pissing me off so much, I could rip the face off a nerd
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
Re:The official Far Cry 2 Thread - Nov 11, 2008 15:44
I dunno Im not 'feeling' this game.... doubht i will finish it... LBP next week for me!

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
Re:The official Far Cry 2 Thread - Nov 11, 2008 16:28
So, open question to everyone who bought LBP. Has it gotten old yet? How's the level community?
"I'll wager sixty finest English pence that you defeat Big Sister in the end by shagging her to death."

Kikizo.com - Excellence in Journalism

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 41 to 47 of 47