Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3!
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 21 to 40 of 99
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 10, 2006 10:14
What if PS3 was made available in OSX flavour as well as Linux?!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 10, 2006 11:13

It looks poor. It' s just straight from the PSP

Did you ever consider that sony had plans to standardise their interface? It makes perfect sense, with all the intermingling that PSP and PS3 are supposed to have, that they should both look the same. And yes, I just said that something sony did made perfect sense. You' re all welcome to throw stones at me untill I cry.

I wish they' d make the thumbnails a little larger though. It' d be easy to slide the other menu' s a little to the left or right, and zoom in on the one you' re accessing. (It' d look tons better too)

Is it just me, or is their dvd player still a little clunky? the fast forward is still choppy, and it proves that it' s the hardware' s fault, because she said that " video right now is running through the hard-drive" . I' ve never seen DVD running on a 360 though, so I' ve got nothing to compare it with. Is the fast-forward just as irritating? (yeah, i know it' s a small detail, but it' s a pet peeve of mine)
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 10 Jul 06 3:14:39 >
fernandino

• Total Posts : 661
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 10, 2006 12:53
look´s kinda cool, but yeah its a little empty, its this the final version or there´s still room for improvements???, if there is i guess they need to focus is in giving the hole picture a little more substance, some real time demos of the movies, or the pictures previews, would help alot, or maybe they want to leave us room to put whatever we want in the background, could be...
< Message edited by fernandino -- 10 Jul 06 4:54:31 >
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 10, 2006 20:03
I didn' t find it complicated and I love options too, but it' s annoying to scroll through all this shit just to get somewhere.I like to be able to configure lot, but keeping it simple is what consoles are all about.

I don' t agree that 360 menu looks like it' s more sophisticated - quite the opposite.It looks nice, but more like a shallow OS than menu.Some will like it for that, others won' t, but all that space in PS3 can be used for you personal background and other features.

I love it for being clean and for smart design mixed with simplicity - not to mention the web browser.

Actually it' s the third (after VF5 and HDMI 1.3) cool thing about PS3 for me.It' s a very comforting thing after terribly disappointing confrontation with 360(I' ve checked it for the first time - all games) last week.

I don' t care for 360 Vs PS3 battle that much since I' m getting PS3 no sooner than 3 years from launch.I' ll have some fun with Wii before that.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 10, 2006 20:27
But the thing is which out of all of us spend more time looking at our dashboard more than gaming be it arcade or not to enjoy staring at the pictures on there. That said though I do like the way the pictures change as you scroll through the menu on the 360 but I don' t really spend much time looking at them as I did before when downloading (and that was compulsory).
Hidemoto

• Total Posts : 311
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 11, 2006 00:06

But the thing is which out of all of us spend more time looking at our dashboard more than gaming be it arcade or not to enjoy staring at the pictures on there. That said though I do like the way the pictures change as you scroll through the menu on the 360 but I don' t really spend much time looking at them as I did before when downloading (and that was compulsory).

you know dasher, the thing is that after you buy a PS3 you won´t have any money left so you´ll have to look at the dashboard for a looooonnng time

so it better be a good dashboard
dasher232

RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 11, 2006 00:37
Lol that was funny I like that.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 11, 2006 00:51
Seen some brat kids over at swedish forums like loading,who think they owned everyone cause they guessed that ps3 wont cost 7000 but 6000,and its a very nice price.

Hidemoto

• Total Posts : 311
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 11, 2006 03:55

Seen some brat kids over at swedish forums like loading,who think they owned everyone cause they guessed that ps3 wont cost 7000 but 6000,and its a very nice price.

...and they (kids) are supposed to be our future?
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 11, 2006 04:03
When these kids at age 10-16 screams that ps3 gonna rule the world and 800 dollar for a console is very cheap...then something is wrong,i agree.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 11, 2006 08:48
Methinks they need to unplug from their monitor, and get in touch with reality, and the world economy. But yes... 6000 is a very affordable price when you mooch all your money from your parents.
These are the guys who' s parents shell out massive amounts of cash, in the hopes that the games keep them away from drugs and lowlifes. (I have to deal with too many of these guys that say they' ve got an xbox 540, with built in VR nipple-clamps, or something dumb like that)

When these kids at age 10-16 screams that ps3 gonna rule the world and 800 dollar for a console is very cheap...then something is wrong,i agree.

I' m glad we' re all not like that. I mean, I consider myself pretty intellegent for a gaming youth, partly because I don' t get squat from my parents for games. So I' m not spending 60 bucks on crap like the Constantine game. Or making dumb console purchases.
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 11, 2006 09:15
I never cared about the interfaces. When MS showed off the 360 interface I had to ask myself, so what? Sure its much better then what we' re used to but I bought the thing for games. As long as it puts out the games I expect I' m happy.

Asthetically I like the ps3 interface, has a more mature look then the 360 one, but the 360 still has a better functioning interface. The ps3 interface assuming it will be the same when released looks tedious. It has too much junk, too many options to wade through. The 360 interface on the other hand is great but it looks like a kiddy windows os, it needs style.
whiteguysamurai

• Total Posts : 316
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 11, 2006 11:31
that' s the unfortunate thing microsoft doesn' t do.
They don' t hire graphic designers to make their interfaces, and thus for programmers to do it.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 11, 2006 14:20

They don' t hire graphic designers to make their interfaces, and thus for programmers to do it.

Your just speculating right? MS probably have more graphic designers than Sony does!
whiteguysamurai

RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 11, 2006 14:31
no, they don' t.
The entire front end of xbox live was developed by it' s programmers.
From design to the actual png files were photoshopped by various programmers.

To my knowledge, no outside firms or full time graphic designers have been used for the xbox project.
Though i have seen some interested in design, even some have great artistic skill.

But unfortunatly, they don' t have a high priority on how it looks, but more on how it works.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 11, 2006 15:11

no, they don' t.
The entire front end of xbox live was developed by it' s programmers.
From design to the actual png files were photoshopped by various programmers.

To my knowledge, no outside firms or full time graphic designers have been used for the xbox project.
Though i have seen some interested in design, even some have great artistic skill.

But unfortunatly, they don' t have a high priority on how it looks, but more on how it works.

You dont think MS has a team of designers, already working at MS, for all their other projects?
whiteguysamurai

RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 11, 2006 15:28
they do, but not on the xbox team.
However it' s been quite some time scense i' ve seen the xbox department.
Most of the design crew work for the windows department.

I did hear about a great deal of study time being put into the shape of the system, but microsoft has never placed aesthetics over function.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 11, 2006 16:41

ORIGINAL: whiteguysamurai

...but microsoft has never placed aesthetics over function.

As it should be.
dasher232

RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 11, 2006 19:17
Agreed.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Ps3 interface taken from behind doors in E3! - Jul 11, 2006 20:13

ORIGINAL: whiteguysamurai

Erm, yeah they do...

The user experience team is responsible for the interaction and interface design for Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, including but not limited to the systems dashboard.

I don' t know about the original Xbox, but an actual design team worked on the 360 dashboard which is openly apparant by just looking at the thinng and how it works.

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 21 to 40 of 99

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message