Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Official review/preview Q&A thread
Change Page: << < ..111213141516 > | Showing page 11 of 16, messages 201 to 220 of 303
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 11, 2008 03:06
immortaldanmx

Silentbomber

who said 'and dosetn afraid of anything'??

Its a meme.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Pretty_cool_guy

lern internet nub

immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 11, 2008 03:11
locopuyo

immortaldanmx

Silentbomber

who said 'and dosetn afraid of anything'??

Its a meme.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Pretty_cool_guy

lern internet nub

Me?
Edwin

• Total Posts : 658
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 11, 2008 15:33
_Majik_

• Total Posts : 198
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 11, 2008 16:02
Edwin

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 11, 2008 16:36
I'm not sure about those destructible floors, but being able to chuck a penguin or something at your opponent mid-fight (providing it's just a gratuitous little gesture rather than an actual combat move) sounds pleasantly stupid.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 11, 2008 22:03
Loco, I don't know if I'd be posting links to dramatica here. There's already enough fucked up people as it is.
immortaldanmx

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 12, 2008 05:41
mastachefbkw

Loco, I don't know if I'd be posting links to dramatica here. There's already enough fucked up people as it is.

I wouldnt post links because someone is bound to stumble onto something and get butthurt.
Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 12, 2008 18:53
_Majik_

Edwin gave Resistance 2 8.5/10 and that game is fucking trash.

Hmmmm...weird...only a few days back it sounded more like this.

_Majik_

Resistance 2's solo campaign is a blast but Killzone 2 is going to blow it out of the water.

I'm glad they've put a lot of emphasis on the multiplayer component too. It looks kickass.

And that leads me to my question. Which is it? Some people have been bugging me to get it saying it's great others find it to be the same old thing. I myself don't really care about shooters but could use some more multiplayer stuff on my ps3.

As for Tekken 6...meh I'll pass. Gave almost every Tekken a shot and it could never get me enjoying the game. Highly doubt this one will either and for me VF still stands on top when it comes down to fighting games.
_Majik_

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 13, 2008 18:44
It's all relative.

Compared to the first game it's not bad at all, but compared to say Gears 2's solo campaign... it's lame as fuck.

I rpobably wouldn't be giving the game such a hard time if there weren't so many other worthy games to buy right now. I mean, Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Tomb Raider Underworld, LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm 2, World at War, Prince of Persia, EndWar etc...

You might get some enjoyment out of the multiplayer component, but if you don;t have CoD4 already then i'd recommend that instead. If you do you could always try World at War. I'm guessing you already own Warhaw!?
Edwin

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 14, 2008 23:23
I rpobably wouldn't be giving the game such a hard time if there weren't so many other worthy games to buy right now. I mean, Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Tomb Raider Underworld, LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm 2, World at War, Prince of Persia, EndWar etc...

QFT - I enjoyed Resistance 2, but there's a fuckton of competition. Definitely pick it up if you only own a PS3 though, D.
immortaldanmx

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 15, 2008 00:08
Edwin

QFT - I enjoyed Resistance 2, but there's a fuckton of competition. Definitely pick it up if you only own a PS3 though, D.

No one owns only a PS3, that would be illogical.
Edwin

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 15, 2008 09:16
This is true :)
_Majik_

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 15, 2008 13:50
I want to clarify my take of Resistance 2.

In terms of the solo campaign only...

The story sucks, but then, so do most videogame narratives. The cutscenes for the most part are really impressive and really well directed. I still hate Hale though, ...it's impossible to feel any kind of empathy towards him.

Chapter-wise...

Prologue - Opens well, impressive scale, introduces you to the magnum... which is badass, ...and the level design is pretty good. Taking down one of the games new enemies (the Goliath) is lame though.

Chapter 1 - Decent first proper level. Introduces a new (and really cheap) water based enemies called Furies. You can see them swimming... half of their bodies rising out of the water... but can't kill them. It's retarded stuff like that that really pisses me off. Later in the game some leapers attack you in water, and even though they're fully submerged you can still kill them... so why can't you shoot the Furies? The actual level itself is pretty good, especially towards the end... but the boss fight is just stupid.

Chapter 2 - Awful. This is where Resistance 2 (and the first game) really falls down. It's fine when you're in cramped corridors or fighting through alien architecture, but the real-world human levels are dull and uninspired. It's made all the more apparent because the environmental texturing is seriously sub-par... particularly anything organic (save for the enemy character models). When you litter these dull human locations with what are essentially meat sacks... and the texturing on them looks like something out of Goldeneye... it's bound to draw criticism. Now the game isn't ugly throughout because there are some really impressive locations, but like in the first game they tend to be the interiors of alien structures or ships. Chapter 2 also introduces a new cheap as fuck cloaked enemy. I don't mind monster closets in shooters but this is just ridiculous and repetitive.

Chapter 3 - The first part of this chapter is really good because it's set in an alien battleship, but the second half is a bit meh. There are some cool parts in the second half like fighting off a huge swarm of another new enemy called the Grim in a theatre, and then taking on three huge Ravangers in a town square... but the bulk of it is spent fighting through human buildings plastered with the awful looking meat sacks and is fairly dull. The chapter boss is really lame too.

Chapter 4 - Kickass. I liked pretty much all of this chapter. The exterior locations of pretty dull, but it's the desert and most of the chapter takes place inside a sprawling alien base so it doesn't matter so much. You get to use a badass chaingun too. The chapter introduces you to something called The Swarm, and after it chases you through a couple of corridors you're tasked with 'killing' it... the process of which is almost laughable. You do get to take on a couple of Titans afterwards though so it's not all bad. However, one of the things that really annoys me about this game is the design choice to only let the player carry 2 weapons. Granted that's something that has now become standard in first person shooters but it's retarded to drop down into an area where you're about to face off against a 2 Titans, only to find a rocket launcher that has enough ammunition to do the job but no more. I know, many videogames are like that, but it just feels lame. It's avoided in gears, so why couldn't they avoid it here. I get that they wanted to be able to supply the player with powerful weapons for short periods of time and then essentially take them away again... but that then detracts from the unique nature of the games arsenal and ways in which the different modes can be utilized. You simply can't be creative.

Chapter 5 - Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Chapter 6 - First part boring, second part better. Just like chapter 3.

Chapter 7 - The last chapter is good. There are parts i didn't like, and some of the environments look really bad, but as a whole the chapter is successful in bringing the action to a climax. The boss battle is pathetic though.

Weapon-wise...

Insomniac are known for creating cool weapons, and the stuff they've given us through the Ratchet & Clank games has been awesome. Fall of Man introduced some weapons that were cool... like the Auger (fires though walls/alt fire creates a plasma shield) and the Bullseye (automatic plasma rifle/alt fire lets you tag and enemy and shoot over cover or around corners etc) but nothing we hadn't really seen before in other games. Resistance 2 does even less. The new weapons just seem like pointless additions and don't offer any real gameplay changes. I understand that it's hard to come up with something new given the setting, timeline and semi-realistic nature of the game but seriously...

Magnum - Owns. Secondary fire detonates bullets fired, so it's good for taking out groups of enemies if you can time the detonations right.

Bellock (grenade launcher) - Lame. Doesn't help that the explosion effects are awful.

Wraith (chaingun) - Fucking awesome. Belongs in an AVP game :)

Marksman Rifle - Meh. It's powerful and has a three round burst but it's a completely unnecessary addition and looks shit.

Splicer - Fires spinning blades that ricochet of walls. Good for taking out Grims but useless otherwise. Looks cool though.

Spider Grenades - Pretty good i guess, but not as good as the air-fuel grenades. Another pointless addition.

Pulse Cannon - Lame. Basically a rocket launcher. Another pointless addition.

The enemy types are better this time around, ...they were way too samey in the first game. They're still not amazingly diverse, but there is enough variety now to allow for drastic changes of tactics and pacing. Save for the Leapers they all look graphically great too. I think they could be improved in terms of their actual design but they're not bad at all.

At it's best Resistance 2 is what i'd hoped Halo 3 would be. It's dark and broody. The alien structures and ships are pretty impressive and there are some really cool moments where you think 'if only the whole game was just like this'... but everything is inconsistent. It's a shame.

Edwin

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 15, 2008 23:31
Dude, you forgot the score!

Ghostbusters interview, hyah.

http://games.kikizo.com/features/ghostbusters-the-video-game-interview-p1.asp
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 16, 2008 00:54
majik i assume you have new accounts on psn/live because you havent signed into either in months ??
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 16, 2008 01:14
He had to change accounts after being stalked by Torr's mom.
_Majik_

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 16, 2008 08:00
I haven't replaced my last 360 yet... i've been playing Gears 2 at work... and i have a couple of different PSN accounts... i'm not even sure which one i've been using recently...
Edwin

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 20, 2008 11:35
Resident Evil 5 producer interview in da house.

http://games.kikizo.com/features/resident-evil-5-interview-p1.asp

Coming next week: Lord of the Rings: Conquest previews and Killzone 2 interviews plus other stuff wot I am not sure which it'll be yet, durrr.
Edwin

Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 04, 2009 22:57
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 05, 2009 00:35
guys review killzone first. somehow.
Change Page: << < ..111213141516 > | Showing page 11 of 16, messages 201 to 220 of 303

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll