Official review/preview Q&A thread

Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 6 of 8, messages 201 to 240 of 303
locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 11, 2008 03:06
immortaldanmx

Silentbomber

who said 'and dosetn afraid of anything'??

Its a meme.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Pretty_cool_guy

lern internet nub

"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 11, 2008 03:11
locopuyo

immortaldanmx

Silentbomber

who said 'and dosetn afraid of anything'??

Its a meme.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Pretty_cool_guy

lern internet nub

Me?
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

Edwin
  • Total Posts : 658
  • Reward points : 6855
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 11, 2008 15:33

_Majik_
  • Total Posts : 198
  • Reward points : 6450
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 11, 2008 16:02

Edwin
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 11, 2008 16:36
I'm not sure about those destructible floors, but being able to chuck a penguin or something at your opponent mid-fight (providing it's just a gratuitous little gesture rather than an actual combat move) sounds pleasantly stupid.

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 11, 2008 22:03
Loco, I don't know if I'd be posting links to dramatica here. There's already enough fucked up people as it is.

immortaldanmx
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 12, 2008 05:41
mastachefbkw

Loco, I don't know if I'd be posting links to dramatica here. There's already enough fucked up people as it is.

I wouldnt post links because someone is bound to stumble onto something and get butthurt.

Demonoroth
  • Total Posts : 359
  • Reward points : 18080
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 12, 2008 18:53
_Majik_

Edwin gave Resistance 2 8.5/10 and that game is fucking trash.

Hmmmm...weird...only a few days back it sounded more like this.

_Majik_

Resistance 2's solo campaign is a blast but Killzone 2 is going to blow it out of the water.

I'm glad they've put a lot of emphasis on the multiplayer component too. It looks kickass.

And that leads me to my question. Which is it? Some people have been bugging me to get it saying it's great others find it to be the same old thing. I myself don't really care about shooters but could use some more multiplayer stuff on my ps3.

As for Tekken 6...meh I'll pass. Gave almost every Tekken a shot and it could never get me enjoying the game. Highly doubt this one will either and for me VF still stands on top when it comes down to fighting games.
Wii code: 2072 1110 4558 6538
Smash Bros Brawl: 1848-3246-8526
Mario Kart: 412452409500
Mario Strikers: 120360 413659
NiGHTS: 3737-8754-6785
PES 08: 4339-4437-7901

PSN: Demonoroth
pm me if you add anything

_Majik_
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 13, 2008 18:44
It's all relative.

Compared to the first game it's not bad at all, but compared to say Gears 2's solo campaign... it's lame as fuck.

I rpobably wouldn't be giving the game such a hard time if there weren't so many other worthy games to buy right now. I mean, Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Tomb Raider Underworld, LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm 2, World at War, Prince of Persia, EndWar etc...

You might get some enjoyment out of the multiplayer component, but if you don;t have CoD4 already then i'd recommend that instead. If you do you could always try World at War. I'm guessing you already own Warhaw!?

Edwin
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 14, 2008 23:23
I rpobably wouldn't be giving the game such a hard time if there weren't so many other worthy games to buy right now. I mean, Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Tomb Raider Underworld, LittleBigPlanet, MotorStorm 2, World at War, Prince of Persia, EndWar etc...

QFT - I enjoyed Resistance 2, but there's a fuckton of competition. Definitely pick it up if you only own a PS3 though, D.

immortaldanmx
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 15, 2008 00:08
Edwin

QFT - I enjoyed Resistance 2, but there's a fuckton of competition. Definitely pick it up if you only own a PS3 though, D.

No one owns only a PS3, that would be illogical.

Edwin
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 15, 2008 09:16
This is true :)

_Majik_
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 15, 2008 13:50
I want to clarify my take of Resistance 2.

In terms of the solo campaign only...

The story sucks, but then, so do most videogame narratives. The cutscenes for the most part are really impressive and really well directed. I still hate Hale though, ...it's impossible to feel any kind of empathy towards him.

Chapter-wise...

Prologue - Opens well, impressive scale, introduces you to the magnum... which is badass, ...and the level design is pretty good. Taking down one of the games new enemies (the Goliath) is lame though.

Chapter 1 - Decent first proper level. Introduces a new (and really cheap) water based enemies called Furies. You can see them swimming... half of their bodies rising out of the water... but can't kill them. It's retarded stuff like that that really pisses me off. Later in the game some leapers attack you in water, and even though they're fully submerged you can still kill them... so why can't you shoot the Furies? The actual level itself is pretty good, especially towards the end... but the boss fight is just stupid.

Chapter 2 - Awful. This is where Resistance 2 (and the first game) really falls down. It's fine when you're in cramped corridors or fighting through alien architecture, but the real-world human levels are dull and uninspired. It's made all the more apparent because the environmental texturing is seriously sub-par... particularly anything organic (save for the enemy character models). When you litter these dull human locations with what are essentially meat sacks... and the texturing on them looks like something out of Goldeneye... it's bound to draw criticism. Now the game isn't ugly throughout because there are some really impressive locations, but like in the first game they tend to be the interiors of alien structures or ships. Chapter 2 also introduces a new cheap as fuck cloaked enemy. I don't mind monster closets in shooters but this is just ridiculous and repetitive.

Chapter 3 - The first part of this chapter is really good because it's set in an alien battleship, but the second half is a bit meh. There are some cool parts in the second half like fighting off a huge swarm of another new enemy called the Grim in a theatre, and then taking on three huge Ravangers in a town square... but the bulk of it is spent fighting through human buildings plastered with the awful looking meat sacks and is fairly dull. The chapter boss is really lame too.

Chapter 4 - Kickass. I liked pretty much all of this chapter. The exterior locations of pretty dull, but it's the desert and most of the chapter takes place inside a sprawling alien base so it doesn't matter so much. You get to use a badass chaingun too. The chapter introduces you to something called The Swarm, and after it chases you through a couple of corridors you're tasked with 'killing' it... the process of which is almost laughable. You do get to take on a couple of Titans afterwards though so it's not all bad. However, one of the things that really annoys me about this game is the design choice to only let the player carry 2 weapons. Granted that's something that has now become standard in first person shooters but it's retarded to drop down into an area where you're about to face off against a 2 Titans, only to find a rocket launcher that has enough ammunition to do the job but no more. I know, many videogames are like that, but it just feels lame. It's avoided in gears, so why couldn't they avoid it here. I get that they wanted to be able to supply the player with powerful weapons for short periods of time and then essentially take them away again... but that then detracts from the unique nature of the games arsenal and ways in which the different modes can be utilized. You simply can't be creative.

Chapter 5 - Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Chapter 6 - First part boring, second part better. Just like chapter 3.

Chapter 7 - The last chapter is good. There are parts i didn't like, and some of the environments look really bad, but as a whole the chapter is successful in bringing the action to a climax. The boss battle is pathetic though.

Weapon-wise...

Insomniac are known for creating cool weapons, and the stuff they've given us through the Ratchet & Clank games has been awesome. Fall of Man introduced some weapons that were cool... like the Auger (fires though walls/alt fire creates a plasma shield) and the Bullseye (automatic plasma rifle/alt fire lets you tag and enemy and shoot over cover or around corners etc) but nothing we hadn't really seen before in other games. Resistance 2 does even less. The new weapons just seem like pointless additions and don't offer any real gameplay changes. I understand that it's hard to come up with something new given the setting, timeline and semi-realistic nature of the game but seriously...

Magnum - Owns. Secondary fire detonates bullets fired, so it's good for taking out groups of enemies if you can time the detonations right.

Bellock (grenade launcher) - Lame. Doesn't help that the explosion effects are awful.

Wraith (chaingun) - Fucking awesome. Belongs in an AVP game :)

Marksman Rifle - Meh. It's powerful and has a three round burst but it's a completely unnecessary addition and looks shit.

Splicer - Fires spinning blades that ricochet of walls. Good for taking out Grims but useless otherwise. Looks cool though.

Spider Grenades - Pretty good i guess, but not as good as the air-fuel grenades. Another pointless addition.

Pulse Cannon - Lame. Basically a rocket launcher. Another pointless addition.

The enemy types are better this time around, ...they were way too samey in the first game. They're still not amazingly diverse, but there is enough variety now to allow for drastic changes of tactics and pacing. Save for the Leapers they all look graphically great too. I think they could be improved in terms of their actual design but they're not bad at all.

At it's best Resistance 2 is what i'd hoped Halo 3 would be. It's dark and broody. The alien structures and ships are pretty impressive and there are some really cool moments where you think 'if only the whole game was just like this'... but everything is inconsistent. It's a shame.

Edwin
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 15, 2008 23:31
Dude, you forgot the score!

Ghostbusters interview, hyah.

http://games.kikizo.com/features/ghostbusters-the-video-game-interview-p1.asp

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 16, 2008 00:54
majik i assume you have new accounts on psn/live because you havent signed into either in months ??

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 16, 2008 01:14
He had to change accounts after being stalked by Torr's mom.
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

_Majik_
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 16, 2008 08:00
I haven't replaced my last 360 yet... i've been playing Gears 2 at work... and i have a couple of different PSN accounts... i'm not even sure which one i've been using recently...

Edwin
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Dec 20, 2008 11:35
Resident Evil 5 producer interview in da house.

http://games.kikizo.com/features/resident-evil-5-interview-p1.asp

Coming next week: Lord of the Rings: Conquest previews and Killzone 2 interviews plus other stuff wot I am not sure which it'll be yet, durrr.

Edwin
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 04, 2009 22:57

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 05, 2009 00:35
guys review killzone first. somehow.

choupolo
  • Total Posts : 1773
  • Reward points : 1930
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 05, 2009 01:16

And here's the gaming menu for 2009 -

http://games.kikizo.com/features/50-hottest-things-in-2009-gaming-p1.asp

Pretty much sums up everything I'm anticipating in 2009. 

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 05, 2009 04:22
Duke Nukem Forever :)

You forgot StarCraft 2!!  Although it may not be released this year.  
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

Agent Ghost
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 05, 2009 09:14
No love for Huxley?
"This is sad. There's no other word for it. The person who invents a way to punch someone in the face over the Internet will make millions from the demand generated by people like this." Youtube comments

Edwin
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 05, 2009 10:25
To be honest, it could have been a top 100 :p

The Agency, Huxley, Dawn of War 2 and Starcraft 2 are also well worth watching out for. Not that you need telling.

_Majik_
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 05, 2009 15:06
Nobody is looking forward to The Agency. Seriously.

Edwin
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 05, 2009 15:53
Oh yes they are.

emofag
  • Total Posts : 1508
  • Reward points : 20330
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 05, 2009 15:58
I would have to say no, they aren't.

Agent Ghost
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 05, 2009 16:24
This is the first time I've heard about the game.

immortaldanmx
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 05, 2009 16:31
Ive only heard about it on the waste of space(and money) that is PSN's Qore. I have yet to see anyone excited about it. Maybe 2Pac can make it his new obsession.

Edwin
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 05, 2009 17:41
/shakes head tolerantly

immortaldanmx
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 05, 2009 19:12
Edwin

/shakes head tolerantly

We're no playing an MMO, we're not role-playing in a chat room like virgi... I mean WoW players. Seriously, no need for the "/insert action" here. God, you guys are so lucky I dont use my close ties to Adam to layeth down the banhammer.

/sarcasm

Agent Ghost
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 05, 2009 20:03
Ok here's a new list:

Huxley
SC2
Fight Night Round 4
Killzone 2
SF 4
Aliens: Colonial Marines
GT 5
COD 6
Dragon Age
GTA 4 DLC
Afro Samurai

immortaldanmx
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 05, 2009 20:51
Fine, since we're posting lists and all.

No particular order:
Halo Wars
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams
Halo 3: ODST
Batman: Arkham Asylum
CoD: Modern Warfare 2- I swear to Allah if this isnt out in 09....
Killzone 2
Mass Effect 2
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Rage
Half-Life 2: Episode 3
God of War 3

2pac
  • Total Posts : 1032
  • Reward points : 6490
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 06, 2009 05:05
I am obsession free til march when peter molynuex announces his next game ..

[image]http://gdpit.com/avatars_pictures/animated/gdpit_com_45464555_806.gif[/image]

Edwin
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 06, 2009 10:08
immortaldanmx

Edwin

/shakes head tolerantly

We're no playing an MMO, we're not role-playing in a chat room like virgi... I mean WoW players. Seriously, no need for the "/insert action" here. God, you guys are so lucky I dont use my close ties to Adam to layeth down the banhammer.

/sarcasm

Fool! Adam is but a puppet - the banhammer is MINE.

/flexes

We're actually looking at doing another 2009 preview based on feedback to the original. So if you have any other recommendations, now's the time to air 'em...

_Majik_
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 06, 2009 10:55
Edwin

We're actually looking at doing another 2009 preview based on feedback to the original. So if you have any other recommendations, now's the time to air 'em...

That's right... pad it out...

What Kikizo needs is to get up to speed with it's video content... and area which is severely lacking in comparison to most other sites. You can't expect to compete with IGN, Gamespot, 1up, Eurogamer and other sites with tons of funding when all you have to offer are interviews and the odd review. You guys don't even produce your own screenshots. There's almost zero reason to visit the main site.

I also still can't post from my iPhone. My daily postcount has dropped seriously-motherfuckingly-dramatically since i stopped using my Blackberry (and since the forum upgrade went through). If i can't post from my phone i will barely be posting at all... simple.

Edwin
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 06, 2009 12:47
If that was a veiled jab at our "padding out" content, I suggest you look at Games Radar and Eurogamer's winter/spring output. They don't go easy on the listing.

We compete with IGN, Gamespot, 1UP et al simply by obtaining article content they don't - exclusive interviews such as the recent Guerrilla, Final Fantasy XIII and Tekken 6 pieces - and by delivering very timely if not exclusive reviews and previews. Yes, I'm aware that these don't exactly crop up on a daily basis, but they do get us sufficient traffic. I can't really comment on the question of custom media like video reviews, exclusive screenshots, etc as that's Adam's call, so I'll just reiterate that you aren't telling us anything we don't already know ;)

I'll give the boss a call about your iPhone troubles.

_Majik_
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 06, 2009 13:43
Uh huh...

Edwin
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 06, 2009 14:02
Now how did I know you were going to post something like that, you cheeky sod :)

The difference between us and IGN, Gamespot, etc is that they have scores of full-time staff and humongous outlays. We don't, and consequently we don't need to pull in the same volumes of traffic. Nobody's denying that we're a way from the top of the pile, but it's quite possible to make a living without going neck-to-neck with the big boys. Also - Kikizo Ltd covers more than just Kikizo.com.

If anything, trying to muster the resources to take on IGN and co simply worsens the consequences of failure without guaranteeing success. I used to write for a site that tried to do just that - we had video reviews (voiced by yours truly), thousands of daily downloads including demos, trailers, mods, etc, 3-4 1000-2000 word articles a day plus twenty-odd news items - the works. Suffice to say they're not around anymore.

If you want to talk this through in proper detail I'd suggest contacting Adam - I'm just the writing bloke, not the corporate director.

_Majik_
Re:Official review/preview Q&A thread - Jan 06, 2009 14:59
Edwin

Also - Kikizo Ltd covers more than just Kikizo.com.

And even including AOL Games traffic (content provided by Kikizo) along with the Kikizo.com traffic... you'd still be far and away from maximizing your full potential.

When i first started posting here in 2005 i thought Kikizo was kickass, but at that point HD video streaming was barely being used anywhere so video wasn't an area which i found to be lacking. The downloadable video files that were available here were far superior to most others elsewhere in terms of framerate and bitrate etc... but whereas major sites and other smaller more independant or niche sites have moved with the times to provide streaming video previews/reviews/interviews, podcasts, exclusive screenshots etc... Kikizo has done nothing more than have a minor facelift.

If there isn't enough revenue to justify the cost of major additions like the production and delivery of HD video reviews... then do what you can. All of the bigger sites secure exclusive interviews too, and the biggest ones do them with video... so there's nothing special about the kind of content Kikizo is providing. There are no mods and the site has no real personality. We don't know who the staffers are or what they look like (aside from Doree and yourself ofcourse) and so we can't really relate in the same way we can with the goons from 1up, Gamespot and IGN. Y'know, the guys that run Gamerysde have no major financial backing, and they have real-world... non-gaming related jobs... and yet their content is far more appealing than anything posted here. For me, Kikizo is nothing more than a slow moving forum populated by a few... but kickass posters.

Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 6 of 8, messages 201 to 240 of 303