Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Jaffe has it right with Unified gaming platform
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 25 of 25
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Jaffe has it right with Unified gaming platform - Jan 13, 2008 20:37

Support for Sony and MS controller or a new one entirely that doesn' t suck

360 pad with a new D-pad, rumble, sixaxis, wireless. Not too hard to figure out what would work.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Jaffe has it right with Unified gaming platform - Jan 14, 2008 03:16
The whole " unified gaming platform" thing is one of the best examples of idiots in the industry running their mouth about things they know nothing about.

You' re all fools.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Jaffe has it right with Unified gaming platform - Jan 14, 2008 13:40
Let' s look at it this way; if you were a big corporation, and believed that you could jump into a new division, bust open a market that' s new to you, and come out on top, would you? If you seriously and whole-heartedly believed it, you' d be a fool NOT to. Trust me when I say, they both think they can win the war.

Not only that, you' d have to be on CRACK not to see the ulterior motives for both Microsoft and Sony. Microsofts LIVE service sits firmly at a distant number two behind iTunes for downloadable pay content. It is part of their bread and butter, and their master plan. Sony' s Blu-ray is, obviously, what they' re all about. If all dvd' s in the world were Blu-ray, Sony would make a KILLING! That' s the plan. But look at the philisophical differences. MS believes downloadable content is the future, while sony believes it to be HD content on disc. Who' s right? We' ll see, but in the meantime they BOTH believe they have the correct strategy. So in this " unified platform" would we see both? Yeah, right! So who would concede? Does anybody believe that EITHER of them would?
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: Jaffe has it right with Unified gaming platform - Jan 14, 2008 17:14
In the short term a unified platform makes a lot of sense, everyone has a level playing field its easier for developers and we can get rid of all this stupid fanboyism.

However in the mid to long term we as gamers lose out. There is just no incentive for the platform to develop and improve if there is no competition to catch up with. If they go down small incremental updates of hardware/software then we are just back in pc-land where there are no standards. With big leaps well why push for the skies when a half-baked update will garner as much income; would MS and Sony have pushed their specs as much as possible if they only had Nintendo or indeed nobody to compete with?

And to all the people who think the big corporations can agree on a standard for a console, well they couldn' t even agree on the standard for high definition DVDs and look at the mess that' s given us.
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Jaffe has it right with Unified gaming platform - Jan 14, 2008 19:31
There are Pro' s and Con' s to this idea, however, I think that there has been too much investment made by each of the companies concerned that would keep this as just an idea.

On a more personal level having a unified platform would in my eyes cause too much grief, for starters how much thought has been put into the fact that any issues that the 360 has will be adopted by the unified platform and also any issues the other platforms have, which would mean that you are now multiplying the issue by a factor of 3, at least that' s the way I see it.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 25 of 25

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message