Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Could Toshiba be the future of the 360?
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
Could Toshiba be the future of the 360? - Oct 22, 2007 23:06
A 360 with HD-DVD built in?

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/22/toshiba_xbox_hddvd/
< Message edited by alijay034 -- 22 Oct 07 15:08:31 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Could Toshiba be the future of the 360? - Oct 23, 2007 01:37
why? its not 360 need a next gen dvd that can hold more than 9Gb for games... Oh wait yes they do!

This wont happen though as what will happen to those who already have 360' s? force 6 million to upgrade?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Could Toshiba be the future of the 360? - Oct 23, 2007 01:43

not 360 need a next gen dvd that can hold more than 9Gb for games... Oh wait yes they do!

This wont happen though as what will happen to those who already have 360' s? force 6 million to upgrade?

The device seems legit, all these rumors I' ve read have proven right. I have no reason to believe this is false. Keep in mind that it won' t be a 360, MS will still manufature dedicated Xbox 360' s. This will be an all in one media hub. It will probably have all sorts of new features including a massive HDD, it won' t look anything like a 360 infact but it will play 360 games. I' m guessing it will cost over 600$. Daily tech compared it with the Sony PSX. You guys remember that thing? This is just Toshiba' s way of pushing HD-DVD. I don' t think it will work very well.

They still won' t have games on HD-DVD. It just won' t happen, forget about it. We' ll have to wait until next gen.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Could Toshiba be the future of the 360? - Oct 23, 2007 02:09
The reason neither Blu-Ray nor HD-DVD is taking a clear lead in this trumped-up battle is because 99% of consumers are perfectly happy with DVD.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Could Toshiba be the future of the 360? - Oct 23, 2007 06:58
OK the following is a random off the wall theory that I feel like sharing...if only to be able to say " Ha Told You SO!" if it somehwo happens.

What if all this offloading of game companies from MS and rumors of MS leaving the game turn out to be somewhat true in that they are leaving the console market...sort of. What they could be doing is handing off the reigns to Toshiba. MS will continue to support the brand and what not but the console will be released as a Toshiba product. Wouldnt that garner more support from Japan as it is now japan company handling it?

You know what I mean? Somthing along those lines...Could that even be feasibly possible?
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Could Toshiba be the future of the 360? - Oct 23, 2007 07:13
That would be huge. But it would mean instead of having stuff like " " ExBox 360 UltraMagnus Edition" , we' d end up with a " Toshiba 360E5740G" , where " G" stands for Games.

Sexy.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Could Toshiba be the future of the 360? - Oct 23, 2007 07:17

OK the following is a random off the wall theory that I feel like sharing...if only to be able to say " Ha Told You SO!" if it somehwo happens.

What if all this offloading of game companies from MS and rumors of MS leaving the game turn out to be somewhat true in that they are leaving the console market...sort of. What they could be doing is handing off the reigns to Toshiba. MS will continue to support the brand and what not but the console will be released as a Toshiba product. Wouldnt that garner more support from Japan as it is now japan company handling it?

You know what I mean? Somthing along those lines...Could that even be feasibly possible?

Interesting Mass x but does toshiba have the financial power to carry on with the xbox360 ? Toshiba is a very successful company but i don' t think it' ll be interested in this industry, specialy when there is a fierce competition. If microsoft decides to leave a sinking boat, why would Toshiba tries to jump in? if Microsoft fails, toshiba will, it might do a better job in japan but it won' t in the us and europe, those are the biggest markets at the moment...

On another note, i don' t think Ms will leave this industry anymore, unless the PS3 gets huge boost sale on the detriment of the xbox, MS won' t go anywhere. This rumor shows that MS is willing to change its strategy as the PS3 is becoming much more attractive with the 400$ price tag. Moreover, Bluray is the winning format so far and that is mostly because of the PS3, HD dvd cost cheaper than bluray yet it is failing, so the best thing to do is to have a built in HD-dvd player on the 360 + the wii fi and the ps3 will look like shit.

The only problem i see is that if this is all true , we won' t see a 360 with hd dvd before early 2009, meanwhile sony can do massive damage to the xbox in 2008 and bluray would triumph over HD dvd making the latter obsolete.
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Could Toshiba be the future of the 360? - Oct 23, 2007 07:27
Devices like this have been and gone many times, that' s not to say that they weren' t often fantastic, innovative showcases of hybrid consumer entertainment technology, but they never develop a user base big enough to justify some of their coolest features. I still remember in-car sat nav demoed on the Hitachi Hi-Saturn - long before personal computers were capable of mobile GPS. Heck all the companies Sega had hardware babies with were pretty cool at least in some way!

Still watching developments with interest. Thanks for the coverage!
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Could Toshiba be the future of the 360? - Oct 23, 2007 07:35
I wasnt think MS would abandon it, but merely take a step back and support it financially and what not. This will allow MS to focus on there many other items for a bit and regroup. Soon Bill Gates will be gone (2008 right?) as well so maybe it is all just a way of reorganizing priorities, cleanup some stuff, and tieing up the loose ends.

This will also Allow Toshiba to garner a bigger name in the overall market being that gaming is turning into a massive one. Who wouldnt want to get in on that? Sort of what Sony did with Nintendo you know? Except it wont me in the way of a betrayal but more of a hand off.

So yeah I wouldnt imagine MS leaving at all. Just cleaning things up while allowing a big partner of there' s to expand their brand while still gathering some revenue from maybe a contractual agreement of sorts. Of course its just an off the wall theory based on a series of random rumors.
< Message edited by Mass X -- 22 Oct 07 23:37:45 >
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Could Toshiba be the future of the 360? - Oct 23, 2007 16:13
Tosh, have the financial muscle to pull this off and they build quality is a lot better than say M$ or Sony, they also rigourously test before putting stuff into the marketplace. This has however come as an early release as I was expecting this along with something bigger in the first few months of next year from M$...
KongRudi

• Total Posts : 220
RE: Could Toshiba be the future of the 360? - Oct 24, 2007 08:31
I never liked Toshiba' s hardware.
Especially their LCD TV' s, I think they are very light-sensitive in factory-settings, white colours usually get a pink shade to it.
Both my mother and my sister got Toshiba-TV' s, they are happy, but it' s crap compared to the various Bravia-models. :-/
I dunno, maybe the high-end TV' s are much better.

I' d love for Toshiba to take over the hardware-production of the 360, I think they would make sure it didn' t break down like it does now.
Add more cooling, and if necessary let the consumer pay for it.
I don' t thrust that MS will make 360 work on 65 nanometer, when they couldn' t make a model wich worked at 95. :-/
I might concider getting one to play Speedball II on then. :)
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Could Toshiba be the future of the 360? - Oct 24, 2007 09:06
Toshiba who?

<Walks away to play with his Panasonic Q>

True or not, it' s bull.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Could Toshiba be the future of the 360? - Oct 24, 2007 09:36

I don' t thrust that MS will make 360 work on 65 nanometer, when they couldn' t make a model wich worked at 95. :-/

65 nm applies only to the cpu ( FYI: microsoft doesn' t make any piece of hardware) , this die shrink will reduce the heat, power consumption and make things easier to cool off.
< Message edited by abasoufiane -- 24 Oct 07 15:04:11 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Could Toshiba be the future of the 360? - Oct 24, 2007 17:07
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Could Toshiba be the future of the 360? - Oct 24, 2007 20:15

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages