Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 But... the Wii can' t do 1080p!
Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 81 to 84 of 84
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: But... the Wii can' t do 1080p! - Jul 09, 2007 04:10
Why do some companies still measure the constrast ratio from black to grey instead of black to white?

< Message edited by NITRO -- 8 Jul 07 20:11:37 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: But... the Wii can' t do 1080p! - Jul 10, 2007 06:55
" Those are pics of the wicked display they were flaunting at CES right Agent?"

Yep

" A 1200:1 TV does NOT look that bad, awful pic, looks like someone took a pic and jacked up the gamma on photoshop."

If you play with the contrast and gamma of your screen you can get it to look washed out like that (assuming you have a typical contrast ratio). The point of the comparasion is to show the difference the contrast ration makes between the screens with similar settings.

If the setting for the screen with poor contrast ratio was set so that the background didn' t look washed out, the greys would turn to black.

Keep in mind also that we' re looking at a picture of an LCD through an LCD. So it looks even worse.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: But... the Wii can' t do 1080p! - Jul 10, 2007 08:04
I dunno about you but I am still using an old school crt moniter..
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: But... the Wii can' t do 1080p! - Jul 10, 2007 13:04

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

" Those are pics of the wicked display they were flaunting at CES right Agent?"

Yep

" A 1200:1 TV does NOT look that bad, awful pic, looks like someone took a pic and jacked up the gamma on photoshop."

If you play with the contrast and gamma of your screen you can get it to look washed out like that (assuming you have a typical contrast ratio). The point of the comparasion is to show the difference the contrast ration makes between the screens with similar settings.

If the setting for the screen with poor contrast ratio was set so that the background didn' t look washed out, the greys would turn to black.

Keep in mind also that we' re looking at a picture of an LCD through an LCD. So it looks even worse.

You can get the best CRT in the world and the worst LCD in the world, put them side by side, and the difference wouldn' t be 1/10th as bad as that image, it' s just an awful exaggeration.
Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 81 to 84 of 84

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message