Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3???
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 29
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 04:56
Just got my copy of EGM today, read the brief bit in the " Rumor Mill" section and damn near choked on my burrito.

" Silly names aside, Virtua Cop helped shoot some life into the arcade light-gun genre. And since Virtua Fighter is still alive and kicking, Sega is apparently thinking about reloading the Virtua Cop series onto the PlayStation 3. Think it' ll be a light-gun game? Nope! Try a first-person shooter."

If that ends up happening then Sega, why don' t you just f***ing kill me now?
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 14 Oct 06 20:57:25 >
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 05:11
:( Well, that isn' t very good news...wish Sega would realize like Capcom that making some exclusive for the PS3 isn' t going to make money.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 05:19
My problem isn' t that it' s going to the PlayStation 3 or that it may be exclusive, even though I have always hated the idea of 3rd party exclusive games. My problem is that they' re taking an established franchise from a genre I love (light-gun shooting) and translating it over to a genre I hate (first-person shooter).
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 05:30
Light-gun technology as it is doesn' t work with HDTV' s.
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 05:56
Arrrrrrgggghhhhhh!!!!

No more Point Blank for me ever again?

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 06:02
I should have said it doesn' t work correctly. They are improving it though.
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 06:02
Yeah, I would agree with you there Terry. Just for the sake of trying it out though I wish it was on 360 as well, course this is coming out of the rumor mill so you never know.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 06:04
hmm I kind of expected these light gun shooter type games to breed on the Wii, and they probably will.

As a point of interest they do have gun controllers for HD tvs, but older ones won' t work.
Ex. 1
http://www.erealgames.com/

Ex.2
http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/gaming/lcd-topgun-002825.php
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 14 Oct 06 22:10:01 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 06:06
The Wii works with HDTVs and although it' s not technically a light gun, it can work as one and it does so just fine.
Agent Ghost

RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 06:12
Actually I' d say the wiimote with the wii gun probably works better then a light gun.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 06:54
I can see the Gcon or whatever Namco called their gun for time crysis/ point blank being re-realsed again under Gcon HD.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 07:55

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

I can see the Gcon or whatever Namco called their gun for time crysis/ point blank being re-realsed again under Gcon HD.

Isn' t it Time Crisis?
I think you' ve become obsessed with Cryteks new game...
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 08:02
I am not even going to buy it. I need help!
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 08:33

ORIGINAL: Joe Redifer

The Wii works with HDTVs and although it' s not technically a light gun, it can work as one and it does so just fine.

Perhaps higher resolutions cause problems? I dont see why they wouldnt work though.
Joe Redifer

RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 09:12
It has to do with the way light guns work. They flash the screen with a white frame for 1/60th of a second when you pull the trigger. The software then times how long it takes the gun to see " white" . It determines where the gun is pointing because of the time it takes to draw the lines on a 60Hz screen. That' s how it works in a nutshell.

Of course HDTVs do weird stuff like scaling and they all aren' t CRT. I can almost kind of get the Dreamcast to work with a lightgun when it is running in 480p, but it is pretty whacko.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 10:30
Intriguing.

So how is the Wii gonna work on HDTVs?

They' re pretty much fucked if that shit doesnt work on atleast LCD and CRT HDTVs.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 10:57
The Wii usese set-top sensors, as well as gyroscopic and accelerator sensors in the remote to determine position. It doesn' t rely on light from the tv screen at all.

I' m just curious as to how the sensors on the tv look. Anybody seen the thing(s)?
Agent Ghost

RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 11:29
Wii has an external sensor (that bar you place in front of the television) that detects the wiimote. The wiimote sends infared signal to the sensor bar and measures the distance from the bar as well as the angle. It triangulates a position on the wiimote. That information is then sent to the wii giving the 3d position of the wiimote in relation to the receiver. The Wii knows where the wiimote is in a 3d space as well as where it is pointing at accurate to a pixel. So wherever you point your wiimote you' re pointing it on a large virtual grid that surrounds the sensor bar. If your television happens to be the section of the grid in which you are pointing the wiimote you should see the cursor on your screen. This is the same basic tech that the HD tv light guns use. This will be used most of the time like when you are pointing the wiimote directely at the screen like in shooters.

In addition to this innovation the wiimote also uses an accelerometer and a gyrometer to detect motion, similar to the SIXAXIX.

This is usefull when the cursor is off screen and the motion of the wiimote still needs to recorded. Such is the case in RED STEEL when you are swinging your sword. The cursor is usually off the grid but the wiimote is useful in this scenario because you can perform ingame moves by telling wii what direction you are swinging the wiimote in addition to the speed.

So the wiimote doesn' t use new tech but it combines tech in a new way to make something that is more versatile. Its pretty ingenius actually.

< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 15 Oct 06 4:24:55 >
Joe Redifer

RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 12:15
Yeah, the Wii is weird. Just hope the batteries don' t run out while waving that thing around. Also the thing hates sunlight and halogen light. I' m not sure why any of it would be optical. I hate infrared controllers. They' re horrible.

PS - " Infrared radiowaves" is an oxymoron. The thing should be 100% bluetooth or whatever. Just as long as it is some form of RF and not optical like a VCR remote (which is infrared).

PSS - The Wii sensor bar which places under the screen is supposedly really, really small. We' ll see.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 15 Oct 06 4:19:03 >
Agent Ghost

RE: Virtua Cop franchise to become first-person shooter for PlayStation 3??? - Oct 15, 2006 12:22
You could be right, I pulled the " radio waves" out of my ass, actually I think it is bluetooth, not sure. I know its infared and I thought that meant radiowaves.

Perhaps bluetooth is how the wiimote or sensor is connected to Wii and not the sensor to the Wiimote. I guess we should find an article, I' m sure this information is public.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 29

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message