Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 EA pays the price of underestimating the Wii
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
EA pays the price of underestimating the Wii - Apr 10, 2007 08:16
Well someone should give EA a big I F**KEN TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=amWmy6_JG16U&refer=home

EAs profits have dropped apparently due to them being unable to take advantage of the runaway success of the Wii & putting all there eggs in the ' ps3 basket' -

``Those companies are backtracking,' ' said Anthony Gikas, an analyst at Piper Jaffray & Co. in Minneapolis. ``They' re going to need to get their best-branded product on that platform. That will take a good nine to 12 months.' '

Ahh so that explains the Wii games drought!!! But even that hasn' t stopped the Wii.

U.S. and Japanese sales of Wii players totaled 1.47 million in January and February, said market researchers NPD Group Inc. and Enterbrain. PlayStation 3 tallied 604,331, while stores sold 584,329 of Microsoft Corp.' s Xbox 360 consoles. Wii is also leading in Europe, said London-based researcher Screen Digest.

Wii games, all produced by Kyoto, Japan-based Nintendo, took three of the top 10 sales spots in the U.S. in February, said NPD, based in Port Washington, New York. Not a single U.S. publisher had a Wii game in the top 20 in February.

Nintendo' s lead will widen, pressuring companies even more. Researcher IDC predicts Nintendo will ship 16.1 million players this year, outpacing Microsoft' s 9.87 million Xbox 360s and Sony' s 9.1 million PlayStation 3s. Wii game sales will total $2.2 billion, trailing only Xbox 360, said IDC, based in Framingham, Massachusetts.

Electronic Arts wasn' t the only publisher slow to see Wii' s appeal. New York-based Take-Two Interactive Software Inc., maker of ``Grand Theft Auto' ' games, had no Wii titles when the player was released and now plans to have three this year, said spokesman Jim Ankner.

Activision Inc., based in Santa Monica, California, plans to release six Wii games this year, giving the second-largest publisher a total of 11, said spokeswoman Maryanne Lataif.

Also this point is interesting -

The Wii may prove to be a windfall, since games cost just $2 million to $5 million to create, a fraction of the $20 million to $30 million spent on PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 titles, analyst Taylor said. In addition, Wii appears to be expanding the market, rather than stealing sales from rivals, he said.

With the Wii still selling strongly Worldwide, Excellent software sales second only to the 360 (due to its one year head start) and cheaper development costs i think Nintendo have created the perfect environment for developers.

With that aside i must say i really enjoyed The Godfather on Wii which despite its average (ps2) graphics was an awesome game thanks to excellent use of the Wiimote.
< Message edited by Terrak -- 10 Apr 07 0:44:24 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message