Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 A gaming journalist is busted!
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 09:08
So gamedaily did a reviw of BMFE2 and complained that there was no tutorial in the game,well there is one and he missed it...TT

Well,when some gamers checked his gamertag it showed that he only played 1 mission in the camapign and unlocked 5 gamerpoints.

And he did the review.

ahum...

Is that taken his job seriously?
Doing a 5 min review,is this common in the industry?
If so then perhaps its back to ask close friends that youy share gaming taste with...

Damn gamedaily,they need to burn,are ya with me?

A follow up,Brian has responded--

(I wrote the GameDaily review)

For any of those wondering, I have been playing the game in some form for a while now. However, I only had the weekend with the final retail version. In all honestly, I already knew the control schemes, but I was more looking for a tutorial level upon entering the single player mode.

While I was incorrect in the complete lack of a tutorial mode, my complaint still stands that I feel the game should' ve had something as soon as you start the single player mode. Nevertheless, it didn' t affect the final score of the title and I listed the other two sources for the controls (which I was already very familiar with).

This was most definitely not a case of playing the game for 5 minutes and reviewing it. I' ve been waiting for builds of this game since E3 demoed it for me before E3. The review will be corrected though, and our apologies for the misleading comment.
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 7 Jul 06 1:12:16 >
Hidemoto

• Total Posts : 311
RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 10:00
how can someone have a job like review games and still don´t give it full atention?

QuezcatoL

RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 10:02
I dont know.
Play 5 min then give it 80/100 sounds very lazy...
that is a avg score for each EA game,sure he thought that suited nice.
Hidemoto

RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 10:05

Play 5 min then give it 80/100 sounds very lazy...
that is a avg score for each EA game,sure he thought that suited nice.

yeah...back in the days of mega drive/genesis EA used to make the top games now it´´s just average games...well maybe some are good but few to the number they produce
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 10:07
Game journalism, just like any journalism can be highly demanding. Have complete reviews of games " x" , " y" and " z" done by friday - and today is wednesday. A lot of journalists don' t have the time to finish each and every game - let alone write a decent review of it. They have to do their reviews based off partially completed builds or can only play some of the final game.

Sure this is a case that was a little sloppy but I' ve seen it happen before in some of the magazines I buy.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 7 Jul 06 2:08:26 >
QuezcatoL

RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 10:07
Yepp,like NHL94,last good NHL title was NHL 98...[:' (]
Hidemoto

RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 10:11

Game journalism, just like any journalism can be highly demanding. Have complete reviews of games " x" , " y" and " z" done by friday - and today is wednesday. A lot of journalists don' t have the time to finish each and every game and have to do their reviews based off partially completed builds.

Sure this is a case that was a little sloppy but I' ve seen it happen before in some of the magazines I buy.

Yeah...but it´s the kind of job that you can do at home or even while playing with friends...so i guess the worst part is to come up with articles structure but that is something that experienced journalists can do pretty quickly.

Yepp,like NHL94,last good NHL title was NHL 98...

yeah...and last good Fifa game was 95...since then they just destroyed it little by little
< Message edited by hidemoto -- 7 Jul 06 2:12:33 >
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 10:18
Exactly and plus if you' re gonna do a job do it well otherwise you loose credibility and respect....lol I have to say though it reminded me of this guy that was going on about how crap halo was and he never even played it and never even knew what the covenant was....
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 10:19

ORIGINAL: Hidemoto

Yeah...but it´s the kind of job that you can do at home or even while playing with friends...so i guess the worst part is to come up with articles structure but that is something that experienced journalists can do pretty quickly.

No it' s not. Quite often a journalist will get a " review build" or something similar before the game is released. How are you supposed to play it with friends if the game isn' t released yet?
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 13:42
My favorite are the journalists who actually MAKE UP crap in their reviews, only to be called out on it and be proven false... Not gonna give any names but there was a reputable site who reviewed a certain DS game. At the end of the review they very briefly stated that the game contained hidden characters... Now, I had the import version of said game, played all the available difficulty settings and unlocked an additional hard setting but there were no hidden characters to be found...

The funny thing is that another site posted their review not too long afterwards and they mentioned hidden characters. I pretty much guessed that they probably copied the part about the hidden characters from the first mentioned site...

The first mentioned site later edited the part in their review about the game containing unlockable characters and changed it from a certainty to an uncertain possibility. Still today, when I go to game code sites like Gamefaqs and look the game up, there are still NO mentions of secret characters, and none of the gamers from the game' s board had ever uncovered any hidden characters..

I got a chuckle out of it at the time cause it made me realize that in rushing to get reviews out, some reviewers may turn to creative storytelling
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 7 Jul 06 5:45:12 >
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 17:04

yeah...and last good Fifa game was 95...since then they just destroyed it little by little

I thought it was Fifa 99 on the PC. THAT was enjoyable.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 19:50
He' s being paid to write good reviews. If he can' t do that then he should look for a new job or they should cut his salary.
That' s what happens to other people if they mess up so why not him?
If he can' t finish a review in time he should admit this and push the deadline a little further. It' s not a good thing to do but it' s better than to publish a bad review.
YOU' RE FIRED!
QuezcatoL

RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 19:57
I think ginjurou remember swedish gaming program named " kontroll" hahaha.

Kontroll=control,it sucked big time,and was on the peopel channels,that is independent and made by the gobv from the start.

Basically they had like 50% girls in that program doing reviews discussing upcoming games and so on.

OMG THEY SUCKED.

Some girl said she had no idea where to go in Halo2.

hahaha nad gaved it 4/5 and the story made no sense in the game she said.

haha.

But most embarssing is when media talked about FF movie,my dad knew i played all FF games,since he bought me ff6+ ff7 in the start,so know he and my mom think FF is about that girl in that movie.

All media thought you played like in that movie
ginjirou

RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 20:01
Kontroll HAHAHAHA!
Public Service does some decent stuff every now and then but they should stay away from vidoegames.
Quetz, do you remember that retarded girl that was a designer and had made some Zelda dolls or whatever it was? WHAT THE F*** WAS UP WITH THAT!?!?!?
Why the hell did they bring her to the show?!?! The dolls f****** sucked!?!! I' ve seen eight year old kids do better stuff than that! What did she do do get on that show? Did she sleep with Göran Persson or something WTF!?!?
QuezcatoL

RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 20:05
hahahah

the only cool/wako thing was a women here in sweden at age 74 who played Final Fantasy,she said when i finsihed FF7 i got to hear i gotta finish ff8 now and then ff9,and then ff10 so i bought mysel a p2 and FF10.

hahaha

She was lik running around in the enviorment in ff10 in some forest and killing monsters,she like...watch here,ice!!!
Oh this is relaxing...ho ho.

ginjirou

RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 20:09
My favourite Kontroll moment was when a couple of police officers visited the show and played a lightgun game (think it was House of the Dead 3) and they were so picky about how you stand when you aim. " No, no, no, you have to lean forward a little when you shoot" . That was fun
QuezcatoL

RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 20:12
TT
Most retarded moment was when the fat cat in SVT had his son and played donkey kong on drums the last 10 min.

WTYF?=!

I DONT WANNA SEE HIM AND HIS SOON PLAYING DRUMS :P
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 7 Jul 06 12:12:44 >
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 20:20
what if he reviewed it at work on their machine and then played a bit at home?

some people think they know things while they don' t - it' s no proof that he didn' t play it.
QuezcatoL

RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 20:22
If he cant even find the tutriol in 5 sec,or even ask someone or EA if they have some.

Then he shouldn' t write there is none.
Very strange misstake,and seeing how his Gamertag says he played just first level,its almost a sign that he watched the game,playd for some min then quited it.
ginjirou

RE: A gaming journalist is busted! - Jul 07, 2006 20:28
It doesn' t matter if he played the game or not because the review was bad anyway since he obviously missed something.
I can hear his boss going:
YOU' RE FIRED!!!!!
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message