Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Rainbow Six/CoD3 on PS3 to be a crap ports!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Rainbow Six/CoD3 on PS3 to be a crap ports! - Oct 09, 2006 02:57
From the GamesTM Rainbow Six: Vegas developer interview...

" ....a chat with the Ubisoft development team shed a little light on he matter." All I' m able to say is that we' re looking to ship on PS3 as well but we' re not having specific content.....we' re developing with 360 as our main development platform and porting to PS3 means that there' s less memory available for us to use, but we' re trying to minimise any drop in quality" ..Such comments suggest that the gap in performance between Playstation3 and Xbox 360 is nowhere near as powerful as some would like us to believe and that the console may even be less able than Microsoft' s..."

Also, the 360 version will feature face mapping technolgy, but the PS3 version won' t and there are no plans for PS3/PSP linkage or to use the sixaxis controller.

After EDGE magazine' s comments about the 360 version of CoD3 looking nicer than the PS3 version, this shouldn' t come as a surprise.

I' m just waiting for Ubisoft to go first party now...
< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 11 Oct 06 8:58:58 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Rainbow Six: Vegas on PS3 to be a crap port! - Oct 09, 2006 03:13
It all comes down to which console its developed on first. Porting a game from the PS3 to 360 would have just as many draw backs as bringing a game from 360 to ps3.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Rainbow Six: Vegas on PS3 to be a crap port! - Oct 09, 2006 03:25
LIVE TO DIE,TO YOU WIN,TO YOU WIN!!!
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Rainbow Six: Vegas on PS3 to be a crap port! - Oct 09, 2006 03:32
What in the name of all that is holy did you just say, Quez?
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Rainbow Six: Vegas on PS3 to be a crap port! - Oct 09, 2006 03:36
Try figure it out.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Rainbow Six: Vegas on PS3 to be a crap port! - Oct 09, 2006 03:46
I failed to get it either, dion... just nod your hand and move swiftly on...

As for this news, yeah it' s not entirely suprising... It' s almost like ubisoft don' t give a crap about the ps3... they are certainly not putting any work into the ps3 version.

They should have put a seperate team to do the ps3 version, like devs sometimes do.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Rainbow Six: Vegas on PS3 to be a crap port! - Oct 09, 2006 04:37

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

I' m just waiting for Ubisoft to go first party now...

That' ll be the day that will probably never arrive, but it would be hot to see
Jade Raymond in one of those tight green x-box costumes... Ok, I was joking.

No I wasn' t!! HAHA!!

They should have put a seperate team to do the ps3 version, like devs sometimes do.

Unless it' s Team Ninja, I wouldn' t trust any separate team in an institution...

Look what Sumo Digital (i think?) did to VT3 for the 360!! It just looks
bleugh...
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Rainbow Six: Vegas on PS3 to be a crap port! - Oct 09, 2006 04:46
However didn' t it happen with games from xbox to ps2 sometimes?

I am not impressed with vt3, so either version just looks " ...bleh" for slight differences in visuals, i don' t care but to see a dev put a game out and not care for what they are doing is sad.

I read on joystiq that ubisoft are trying to takeover EA for the number one spot, i guess with that they will go the way of ea and start releasing crappy ports just to milk more money.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Rainbow Six: Vegas on PS3 to be a crap port! - Oct 09, 2006 10:04

Jade Raymond in one of those tight green x-box costumes... Ok, I was joking.

No I wasn' t!! HAHA!!

What is with everybody & Jade Raymond lately?
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Rainbow Six: Vegas on PS3 to be a crap port! - Oct 09, 2006 11:50
She' s hot and she produces games? Namely, one of the most anticipated
games of 2007?
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Rainbow Six: Vegas on PS3 to be a crap port! - Oct 09, 2006 12:50
Damn! You know, I hope there are SOME developers who are able to really take advantage of the PS3 hardware, and impress the hell out of all of us.

The tech in the Sony console is innovative and all, but we REALLY need some killer apps that take advantage of it (sorry, MGS4 just doesn' t do it for me!)
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Rainbow Six: Vegas on PS3 to be a crap port! - Oct 09, 2006 14:17
Well only exclusive games will ever push each console to its limits, but another thing is, Cell and nothing like it has ever been used before in videogames so new game engines will have to be made to take advantage of its strngtrhs and defend against its shortcomings. Its really not even a matter of programers getting used to the hardware but a matter of tailored game engines existing for the ps3.

Its not so bad with the 360 as it doesn' t really use anything makes it more difficult to program for then it has to be.
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Rainbow Six: Vegas on PS3 to be a crap port! - Oct 09, 2006 22:30
That' s because the 360 was developed with the actual process of developing a game at its' very core as well as hardware innovation.

Sony are having as hard a time of it currently as SEGA did with western devs on the Saturn despite the box being technically very capable.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Rainbow Six: Vegas on PS3 to be a crap port! - Oct 09, 2006 22:58
Sony' s rash decision to use what is essentially a scaled back 7800 is the biggest problem.

CELL may have 8 SPE' s but only 6 can be used for games, and the clock rate was lowered by 50-100MHz from 600-650MHz to 500-550MHz. That in itself isn' t so much of a problem because the hit rate wouldn' t have been 100% anyway. Efficiency shouldn' t be affected and it' ll run slightly cooler - but, the fact that RSX sucks makes it more of an issue.

Bottlenecked RAM access and lower overall bandwidth coupled with the above make it less able no matter how fast CELL is. And that' s not even the biggest problem develoepers are having.

CELL' s unique architecture means that game code has to be significantly altered to achieve the same end result. Whereas 360 and PC can share many of the same instruction sets, they have to be re-written for CELL, and multi-threaded architecture is complex enough as it is.

Posting a game from PS3 to 360 is fairly simple, even if it' s slightly tricky to get the most out of the multi-cored setup. Porting a PC or 360 game to PS3 requires an awful lot more work and wouldn' t be very cost effective.

When it comes to Rainbow Six, and Ubisoft games in general, it' s/they' re designed around DirectX which is obviously a Microsoft product, and while RSX supports DX9, 360 has been built with DX framework in mind.

It' s not a big issue really, and as was mentioned by somebody already, it simply requires developers to build games from the ground up to take advantage of PS3' s architecture.

Still...

360 > PS3

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread