Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Double Agent Demo on Marketplace
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Double Agent Demo on Marketplace - Dec 08, 2006 05:28
For all you who like me, haven' t played yet.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Double Agent Demo on Marketplace - Dec 08, 2006 06:16
Actually Eddie, i' d really like your impressions of the demo if you' d be so kind... I have the game but i' ve heard bad things about the demo.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Double Agent Demo on Marketplace - Dec 08, 2006 07:04

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

I have the game but i' ve heard bad things about the demo.

You have heard bad things.... haven' t you?
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Double Agent Demo on Marketplace - Dec 08, 2006 08:58

Actually Eddie, i' d really like your impressions of the demo if you' d be so kind...
I have the game but i' ve heard bad things about the demo.

More than glad Majik. Sorry it took me a while, demo froze while I was hacking the compy in the tent.

Visuals
I' ll start with these first. Jaw-droppingly gorgeous in detail. SC:DA doesn' t have that graphical steroid look of " Gears" . However it' s the attention to detail that impresses me. Everything from the sweat beads rolling down Sam' s head, to the smoke and dust effects from grenades/explosions/helecopters. Sam' s animation (which was superb in SC:CS) has been stepped up another level, showing signs of age. (Not being able to leap entire warheads in one bound anymore.)

Controls
Nothing new here, just as fluid and intuitive as Chaos Theory. I will say this though. It' s incredibly easy for me to get a hang of the controls because I' m in love with Chaos Theory, but the number of commands & where they are will prove daunting to those who haven' t dealt with Splinter Cell before.

Sound
I was terrified when I first heard the ad' s, & some guy that sounded like the movie ratings man said " I am Sam Fisher" . That had me seriously worried, but Michael Ironside is back, and as awesome as ever. The diologue is seamless, no matter what particular choice you make. (more on that in a minute) The ambient noise is almost more immersing than your direct gunfire & voice command, the distant gunshots/screaming/explosions really make the situation seem out of your hands.

Gameplay

Gameplay is a serious departure for the better. I had the daylit African level, same as the folks at whatever con this was shown at, & I was suprised to see that stealth really wasn' t on my side in this situation. Gone were my NVG' s, replaced with sweet shades that tinted your screen differently. Also, I relied almost entirely on hard cover for my concealment, not a single shadow. It really made me think (I' ve been on a shooter binge for those who don' t know, so it took me 2 or 3 tries to get back in the mindset.)The choices they made you take in the demo really had me thinking. When it got to the " snipe one guy or the other" portion of the program, I could already tell it' d have some replay value.

One small complaint. The AI' s resting position is still that crouched arms-over-head squatting thingy. I' ve never seen anybody do that in my life! IMO it' s the best of the series.

Yeah... I drew all that from the demo. I' ll revise if needed in a few days. My copy is shipping via Ebay!!!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Double Agent Demo on Marketplace - Dec 08, 2006 09:25
Ah, so the demo isn' t just broken or anything then... Good good. Y' see i have to get 3rd party impressions of these things because with the excaeption of the past couple of RB6 games and Splinter Cell on the PSP (which suck something awful) i adore all games with a Clancy label.

Chaos Theory was one of the finest games of the previous generation and Double Agent had a hell of a lot to live up to, and as far as i' m concerned it did. Some people though just seem to complain about things for the sake of it. It' d probably be a different story if it was made by a Japanese developer though.

So you' ve ordered the full game then? Good, you' ll love it!
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Double Agent Demo on Marketplace - Dec 08, 2006 09:40
Yup. Bought it about an hour ago. I' ve got no doubts that it' ll live up to the demo. I' ve seen very few games fall short of their demo' s, & I don' t think Ubi would be the ones to start the trend. Splinter Cell Essentials? That' s chaos theory' s crippled little cousin that lives in Jersy.[:' (]

Honestly? I should be studying for midterms (week-and-a-half) but I just don' t have it in me at the moment. Right now I' m running on Shock Soap from this morning, a half-a-pack of caffine gum, and a handful of my GF' s french-fries from about noon, so for the most part, I feel wasted. (Killer diet I' ve got going isn' t it?)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll