Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Gaming history design competition
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
Gaming history design competition - Aug 24, 2006 18:50
Well, sort of.

This is 100% videogames related too. Here goes:

I' m teaching a range of new modules this year. One of them is about the software / hardware evolution of the past 25 or so years and how development has changed.

I' m planning my teaching now, but I had an amazing idea last night. Thanks in part to some of the great artwork and Ideas I' ve seen here from the likes of Maj, Tiz, etc..

I' m looking for black and white (sketched effect) desktop wallpapers (1280x1024) which are blank in the middle (with room for me lectures) but have livley / sullen / dark / moody / whatever you feel gaming themes round the edge of them.

Perhaps you want to sketch video game charecters / icons around the border, or I' d also love it if Majik did a moody one, witha couple sullen babes in it. etc..etc..

The end result will be your work perhaps re-formatted a bit to appear on up to 5 x 5 projectors in lectures, videos and more - That' s what I get out of it.

In return you will be credited on the artwork, each lecture, I' ll add you to my contact list for industry people as an " artist" and well, it could go two ways - either have me pay for each slide, or winning (read used) entries actually recieving something nice in the post from me!

I' m great in photoshop, writing mousic, scripting etc.., but give me a pencil and I jst cant do it. I could achive a similar effect using stock images and running filters on them but it' s just not the same.

So:

Video game chars / icons / hardware

Comedy / Moody / Neutral

Design / arty look with in ink drops

Technical cad / cam / 3ds / maya wireframe

... in black and white are all some of the themes...

you *could* do alternate versions in colour, but there would have to be a series of them and I' d make a whole lecture out of each series.

The reason i sal all B&W would be that im only expecting a few responses from you talented peeps!

Now thing is, am I on to something for your guys, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Certainly when I' m abroad doing presentations etc.. your work will always be a talking point, and it would be very easy to add into the presentation.. " insert name here" is a very talented young games desinger etc..etc.. I have his card... etc..etc..

Anyways, any positive comments and submissions are welcome... In return I' ll write the music for your new game Tiz?!

I' ve also been thinking about starting a game design collective, which works in their spare time developing games, to help them build a portfolio to get into the games industry. Kind of like a global student run development house!

*and breathe*

Any positive feedback or contributions to any of the ideas herein are welcome.
< Message edited by musashi -- 24 Aug 06 10:52:53 >
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Gaming history design competition - Aug 24, 2006 18:57
Its a great idea! I wish i was better with a pencil :P
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Gaming history design competition - Aug 24, 2006 19:05
A stunning idea that i' ll certainly get involved in.

I need to know 2 things:

- the proportions of the workspace (and blank area)

- will this be an ongoing (as in all of the 2006/2007 year school year) project?!

B&W suits me perfectly and i' ll have some concepts done for you by Sunday.

Ikashiru

RE: Gaming history design competition - Aug 24, 2006 19:23
it' s an on running idea from now on.

Don' t worry if your rubbish with a pencil, I plan to be expanding this to an online collective of creative people working and networking on projects together.

Level designers, artists, musicians, coders etc..

This is borne out of Tiz' s idea of putting a game concept idea bravely up. I actually think there is something massive in all of these rough ideas I have.

If people were involved for a few years in their spare time they could end up being creditied in several small games - how awesome does that look for a prospective employer!?

Majik, the workspace can be flexible, I will design the lectures around the varying layouts, I wouldnt want the lecture nots to be massively overcrowded by the designs, except maybe for the start and finish slides, but the design reaching across corners or areas of the slide is totally acceptable.
Vx Chemical

RE: Gaming history design competition - Aug 24, 2006 19:26

This is borne out of Tiz' s idea of putting a game concept idea bravely up. I actually think there is something massive in all of these rough ideas I have.

cough cough! the game is mine, well born from my idea and Tiz' s drawings!

Ikashiru

RE: Gaming history design competition - Aug 24, 2006 19:57
oh man, big apologies mate!

Vx was my sole inspiration, honest!

So this online collaborative group needs a name too.

Please get your designs rolling in!
< Message edited by musashi -- 24 Aug 06 11:57:21 >
Vx Chemical

RE: Gaming history design competition - Aug 24, 2006 20:11

oh man, big apologies mate!

You are hereby forgiven
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Gaming history design competition - Aug 24, 2006 21:50
If i was any good, i' d help out too... but i' m not so i' ll just shut up
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Gaming history design competition - Aug 24, 2006 22:35
Sounds like a great Idea, too bad I cant draw either, But i' ll make sure I will bump this topic back up if it ever falls!

uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Gaming history design competition - Aug 24, 2006 22:49

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

Sounds like a great Idea, too bad I cant draw either, But i' ll make sure I will bump this topic back up if it ever falls!

Haha. I guess we can all do our bit.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Gaming history design competition - Aug 25, 2006 00:31
Hmm pencils...B/W...jooooy. This colorblind artists has a chance for once.

I' m just so happy

I' ll see what I can whip up by tommarow and then work on stuff thru the weekend.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Gaming history design competition - Aug 25, 2006 02:13
Sorry, I read this this morning and I was like " huh" ? I... don' t... get... it...

I was half asleep so..

Now I am awake and read it properly, I can' t help but say that this is a GREAT
idea! I' ll get down to some original concept work tonight (probably tomorrow night)
and see what I can come up with.

Should the people in UK meet up regularly then?

Then an appointed leader can de-brief those that do not hold residence in the UK..
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Gaming history design competition - Aug 25, 2006 04:03
.....good idea.... ...could be pretty fun....

..how do you enter?.... ...by posting your work directly here?...
Ikashiru

RE: Gaming history design competition - Aug 26, 2006 04:25
Yeah for now I guess on here is fine, so long as other peeps dont mind.

Until we get a proper place of residence - im really starting to buzz off the whole idea. I travel between sheffield, nottingham and london quite a bit so meetings could be really plausible.

I work hard with my job, but this is something we can be passionate about. It' s only being made possible by the fact there are some really kewl people on Kikizo!
Ikashiru

RE: Gaming history design competition - Aug 29, 2006 01:02
Been chatting this weekend about a game development collaborative, some interesting ideas came up i' ll go into later.

Anyone got any artwork concepts to put in yet?

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll