Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New PSP functions...
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
New PSP functions... - Mar 16, 2006 03:36
Everybody seems to be talking about PS3 because of yesterdays so called " official" announcements. That' s all well and good but the only thing people should really be taking interest in with regard to PS3 is the fact that it will run Linux. That' s the best news about the damn thing i' ve heard!

The REALLY important stuff that was announced yesterday was about PSP.

New features to be added are:

PSP EyeToy (evidently an aggressive move against DS, but still cool. Although how well it will work is unknown)

Video and VOIP functionality, which coupled with the PSP EyeToy will allow for portable video calling.

GPS support (i' ve been waiting for this for a year now and i' m glad they' ve brought it up because i had thought they' d scrapped the idea)

Macromedia Flash support (this will be the first update, coming sooner rather than later and will lead into Flash games, which is awesome!)

The best news however is the download service they will be providing later this year. PSone games that will run on an OFFICIAL emulator, downloadable form the internet and playable from your memory stick. FF7, MGS, Tekken 3, Ridge Racer Type 4, ...etc. They will be aiming for pretty much all the games they can and you can bet your bottom dollar it' s going to be HUGE!

It' ll be done gradually though, but expect the best of the best to be available this year!

I have said previously that Nintendo should do a N64 range for DS, but i never thought Sony would offer PSone games. It' s a genius move (abeit an obvious one) and something that' s sorely missing. Everybody loved PSone games and there are tons of them. This could be a way to catch up on Japanese games you maybe missed out on, ...or even just games you would love to play again.

FF7/8, MGS and Resident Evil 2 will be the games i' ll want most!

What about you guys?
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: New PSP functions... - Mar 16, 2006 03:49

Everybody seems to be talking about PS3 because of yesterdays so called " official" announcements

How more " official" do you want?! Well I suppose if it came from Sony themsel.... hold on a minute.... It did.
< Message edited by uumai -- 15 Mar 06 19:51:00 >
Nitro

RE: New PSP functions... - Mar 16, 2006 04:07
Right and that means it' s true?!

Haven' t you been taking note? Y' know it' s people like yourself that wind me up. You probably even believed they' d meet the Spring launch when all the rest of us knew it was just bullshit to put people off buying 360!

You come accross like you' re 14/15 years old. Will your parents buy you a console that costs $600?! Will you still want one if the games cost $70?!

If you live outside Japan, there' s VERY little chance you' ll get a PS3 this year, ...especially if you live in Europe.

I mean, it' s not exactly rocket science or brain sugery. Only stupid people would believe that a worldwide launch this year is possible. Look as PSP, ...there was a YEAR gap between the machine launching in Japan and Europe.

Ken said that a silultaneous worldwide launch is impossible, but they expect to be able to launch in all three territories before the end of the fiscal year which ends in April 2007.

I have said all along that Europe would have to wait until at least February to get the thing and North America could have to wait until 2007.

How more " official" do you want?! Well I suppose if it came from Sony themsel.... hold on a minute.... It did.

That just sounds stupid!

Also, there are 2 threads about PS3 already so can we plerase keep to the topic at hand?! The topic here is the announcements regarding PSP, not their glorified fax machine!
uumai

RE: New PSP functions... - Mar 16, 2006 14:34
I wasn' t the one talking about PS3,Until now, on this thread, I didn' t once mention it. You did.

I was clearly just pointing out that it was infact, an official announcement, not " so called" not " official" it was plain and simple, just official.

Regardless of yours or other peoples view, it' s integrity doesn' t change the fact it is indeed, official.

I was simply trying to point that out to you.
Nitro

RE: New PSP functions... - Mar 16, 2006 19:22
Ok, point noted. And all we are saying is that just because it' s " official" , that doesn' t make it true..

Anyhoo, do you have any thought about the PSP announcements?
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 16 Mar 06 11:34:12 >
uumai

RE: New PSP functions... - Mar 16, 2006 21:23
Well, I suppose the PSP is more of an entertainment device,.

I for one do not have a psp - I just can' t enjoy the analog nub, i find it uncomfortable - But i find the eyetoy attachment interesting, I wonder if sony are being optimistic trying, it seems, to be a video phone and so many other things.

It will be interesting to see how well it all does, the flash game idea is great to, flash games would be a cool addition. As for ps1 games, i think it' s novel, but there aren' t many ps1 games i still would like to play... esp on the bus/train etc.

Good luck to them though I hope they can do something that works well.
Nitro

RE: New PSP functions... - Mar 16, 2006 21:45
Yeah, the Flash games and general Flash support is cool. Some nice stuff should come of it.

The EyeToy is interesting but i can' t see how it would work properly for games, except maybe mapping your own face, but it' s a bit of a gimmick. If they can get the VOIP intergrated properly, i think the video calling could work, ...in Japan at the very least!

The PSone games have really got me hyped. I love my PSP and i loved the PSone and the opportunity to play those great games through again, taking advantage of the PSP' s smaller and clearer screen is something i am really looking forward to.

There are only a few PSP games i' ve actually been impressed with and using PSone games to not only bulk up the number of games available but also to add more variety is a very good idea.

With any luck i' ll be able to play games like; Crash Bandicoot: Warped, FF7/8, Silent Hill, Tekken 3, R4, Vagrant Story, MGS, RE2/3, Thrill Kill, Chrono Cross, G Police, Bushido Blade 2, Parasite Eve, Oddworld Abe s Exodus, ...etc!

Those interest me more than anything that' s already on PSP, save for Wipeout Pure, SF3 and Virtua Tennis and there' s only Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection and Splinter Cell coming that i want at the moment. But i' d take the PSone games i listed over those any day of the week!

I agree with you about the analog nub, it could have definately been better!
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: New PSP functions... - Mar 16, 2006 23:03
I have really been looking into playing mgs1 again, and this sounds perfect. But i need a psp .

A Dreamcast Emulator would be better! .. shenmue on the move...
Stephen Rowley

• Total Posts : 75
RE: New PSP functions... - Mar 17, 2006 21:39
PS1 emulation on PSP...

Great, that means yet more games on PSP that aren' t suited to it, or for handheld gaming in general... :)

Obviously just another announcement intent on stealing thunder from rival companies.

Still, I' ll look forward to playing a few old PS1 games again... but tbh it' d be easier buying them 2nd hand to play on my PS2.

Kudos to Sony though.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message