Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Playstation 3 Hardware Thread
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
Playstation 3 Hardware Thread - May 09, 2006 21:01
There' s a need for one unified thread on this I think.

Things that are very importatnt :

-No Dual HDMI out in any version of the console
-Blue Ray Drive 2X speed (72Mbit/s)
-up to 4 (not 7) Wireless Controllers (with tilt sensors that don' t even compare to Wii-mote) with GUIDE button similiar to ones on 360 controllers.
-20 GB version like Joe wrote has no:WI-FI,HDMI,Memory Stick and SD cards reader (and could lack other features,)
-Most Games in 720p (probably only upscanned to 1080p)

QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Playstation 3 Hardware Thread - May 09, 2006 21:05
I just hope that nintendo' s conference that starts in 4,5 hour and xbox in aorund 6, wont let us down :)
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Playstation 3 Hardware Thread - May 09, 2006 21:23

The only controller you' ll ever need with your Playstation 3
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Playstation 3 Hardware Thread - May 09, 2006 22:10
hahha!

Seriously though, im speechless...

Tipable joypads have been around since the microsoft sidewinders circa 2000..

and dropping the rumble from them?

Id have been more impressed if they had decided to innovate rather than ripping of their old and competitor designs!
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Playstation 3 Hardware Thread - May 09, 2006 22:45
Even I thought Sony would come out with something better than this. Part of me wanted to believe they could come out with guns blazing and give us a truly " next gen" experience.

It really is an all time new low for them and has " slapstick" effort plastered all over it.

I' m not suprised they castrated many features. Same thing happened with PS2. Dual HDMI output at 1080p is and was always a pipe dream. Even native 1080p is going to be out of the question for most games. Seven controllers and USB ports was also unrealistic. The other features like SD cards, Memory Sticks, etc I couldn' t care less about.

The part that really shocked me was the controller. I' m sorry Sony, but the dual shock is now completely archaic when compared to the X360 controller. Inferior in every way. Not only is it inferior to the X360 controller, it' s a blatant " knee jerk" reaction as a result of the Wii concept and pales in comparison to it. It' s a given that the Wii-mote will crush it in every aspect. The " tilt" function probably won' t even be used often at all. When it came to the controller Sony obviously were completely out of ideas and had no direction whatsoever.

And Sony could have at least been a little less blatant when it came to copying Xbox Live. I mean seriously, Microsoft will be laughing their asses off at how " innovative" Sony were when it came to online. I practically had flashbacks to Microsoft' s E3 2005 conference.

Couple these things and more (like the PS3 probably costing $AU900 in Australia) and you can see where I' m going with this.

GG Sony. I gave you the benefit of the doubt before but you have completely lost my faith. I' ll start buying your stuff again when you' ve come back down to reality.
He

• Total Posts : 292
RE: Playstation 3 Hardware Thread - May 09, 2006 23:29
The dual HDMI output was kind of needless to begin with (how many people even have two tv' s that could support that?), and of course, without two tv' s, hooking up 7 controllers would mean that NO ONE would be able to see what they' re doing, so that' s also out the window.

As for the Guide button, all the upcoming consoles are going to have that. Nintendo' s is clearly visible as the " Home" button. Different name, probably the same functionality (or similar, at least).

That being said, what surprises me is the price. They took all that stuff off and they were only able to get it down to $500-600? The stripped-down version seems like it should be less, without the functions they listed. Much less.

Oh well.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Playstation 3 Hardware Thread - May 10, 2006 03:12
I for one do not mind paying $600 for the machine if it is a direct translation into pounds, at around the £400 mark. I' d be happy with the prem pack costing £400. No complaints here... but sony are more likely to release in uk for £499 and £599.... i' ve seen it written nowhere[:' (]
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: Playstation 3 Hardware Thread - May 10, 2006 03:18
The thing that Sony hasn' t answered yet or maybve I missed is weather or not you need a HCDP HD TV in order to play BR movies in high def. with the ps3.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Playstation 3 Hardware Thread - May 10, 2006 03:22
No - you don' t , you don' t even need that with HD DVD and Blue Ray players for now.
They decided to let it go for now.

dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Playstation 3 Hardware Thread - May 10, 2006 03:55
Yeah they took out a lot of the ports which reduced the amount of controllers and (imo) to slim down the size or rather keep it maintained. But yeah they lied yet again.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Playstation 3 Hardware Thread - May 10, 2006 06:43
hold on, isnt that in the more expensive model? so they are still there. Just if you are willing to fork out 100 more.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll