Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 14, 2005 17:36
In my not so humble opinion THE greatest controller ever made finally comes to the PS2! Too bad it didn' t come out at around the same time as Gradius V, lol..

Taken from The Magic Box:

- Sega announced they will release the Saturn Control Pad for PlayStation 2 in Japan on March 24, for 2280 yen. The Saturn Control Pad is identical to the classic Saturn controller, it is ideal for playing the Sega Ages titles such as Phantasy Star Generation II, Dragon Force and Fighting Vipers. (Source: ITMedia)

< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 15 Feb 05 1:42:28 >
residentevil327

• Total Posts : 406
RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 14, 2005 18:13
thas gonna be cool.it will bring back alot of memeries
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 14, 2005 22:49
The Saturn has the greatest 2D controller ever, no question. I even prefer it to any of the analog controllers as well. It had the PERFECT layout. Two rows of three buttons. Buttons labeled with letters from the alphabet instead of random shapes. Buttons labeled alphabetically instead of ass-backwards *cough* Nintendo *cough*. Two nice shoulder buttons instead of 4 (who needs 4 shoulder buttons, really?). A start button. No Select button (I never really understood the purpose of a Select button on controllers with more than 3 face buttons). A perfect d-pad. Perfect! And a nice shape that fits into all hands perfectly, big or small.

In fact, this controller is SO GOOD that I am amazed that sega has recognized it' s greatness. Typically Sega would think that either the Dreamcast or the first Sega Master System controllers were the best. it is rare for Sega to properly recognize excellence.

I' m sure this pad will be ruined with 4 shoulder buttons, the select button, and the PS2 logo, though.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 15 Feb 05 6:50:45 >
Gossi_the_dog

• Total Posts : 273
RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 15, 2005 08:38
Joe

There are only two shooulder buttions. C and Z take the place of L1 and R1 respectively.
Joe Redifer

RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 15, 2005 16:32
That helps.
Terry Bogard

RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 16, 2005 08:43
They already released a USB version for PC and Macs a short while back, I' m gonna wait till the Japanese PS2 version is released next month and just get both together! Using that controller for MAME games is gonna friggin ROCK sooooooooooo HARD!! And using it for PS2 games that are d-pad compatible will rock pretty hard as well.

In short, there' s just going to be a whole lotta rockin next month!
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 16 Feb 05 16:44:38 >
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 16, 2005 10:02
I' ve seen you can get a gamecube controller that' s shaped exactly like the old SNES controllers. It lacks the analog stick of course, but everything else is there. If I find a picture I' ll link it.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/hardware/hori-digital-controller/hori-gamecube-pad.jpg

there it is. and here' s one showing the two side by side.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/hardware/hori-digital-controller/
< Message edited by mxpx182 -- 16 Feb 05 18:03:59 >
Gossi_the_dog

RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 16, 2005 12:49
I' ve got a Hori Digital Controller for my GC. It' s alright. I personally don' t think it' s as comfortable as the SNES pad, however it is good for both the GB Player and Soul Calibur II.
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 18, 2005 16:13
I' ve seen NES-a-like pads out there for the PS2. In HMV in England. I was tempted to get one...

...will a Japanese Saturn/PS2 joypad work on a UK PS2?
Terry Bogard

RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 18, 2005 16:54
I switch the controllers on the Japanese PS2 and U.S. PS2 quite often so I don' t see why it wouldn' t work on a UK PS2..:)
Gossi_the_dog

RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 18, 2005 19:04
Yes it will work
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 20, 2005 17:28
Suddenly I have moral issues buying a Saturn shaped PS2 joy pad. It' s like against the law... blasphemy even.
Joe Redifer

RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 20, 2005 19:04
Blasphemy against.....?

From what I recall the Saturn did extremely poorly in Europe because you blokes refused to buy anything except stuff for the Mega Drive and Master System. Long live the queen!

< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 21 Feb 05 3:04:27 >
Terry Bogard

RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 20, 2005 19:35
Both the Saturn and Dreamcast seemed to do equally as poor in Europe, with both selling around 1 million units before dying their miserable deaths. I guess those one million Saturn owners in Europe decided to come back for more punishment with the Dreamcast ;) :P

One of the biggest mysteries to me will always be WHERE the hell the 7-8 million Saturn owners in Japan were during the Dreamcast era, they REALLY let that console down.
Joe Redifer

RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 20, 2005 21:49
I don' t think there were quite 7-8 million Saturn *sell thoughs* in Japan. Sega only counted what they had sold to retailers, not to actual customers.
the.ben

• Total Posts : 324
RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 20, 2005 22:13
you want a simple aming controller?? they should make the original NES controller compatibal for all new systems.....simplisity at it' s finest.
Joe Redifer

RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 21, 2005 01:44
And most uncomfortable with a lack of buttons to boot!
the.ben

• Total Posts : 324
RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 21, 2005 06:36
well, just round off the corners and you are good to go really. what else do you need? two buttons for your two main functions and then of course you still have the " select" button which was never useful before, but now it is....

for example, when used during a shooter type game: A is shoot, B is jump, and Select is for switching weapons. simple simon right there......or in a driving game, A is accelerate and B is brake/reverse and Select switches views....
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: There truly IS a God! Saturn controller for PS2! - Feb 21, 2005 07:25
I prefer the commodore 64 " paddles" . One Wheel to spin and one button to push. Think of the deep combos that could be ammassed in fighitng games!

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll