Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Entitlement Unlocked?!
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 30, 2006 23:23

Okay...according to EGM' s most recent weekly podcast, Sony has come up with their own version of the Xbox 360 Achievements...editor Dan Hsu claims that the Playstation 3 Achievements are going to be called " Entitlements" .

Original Story

So am i to understand that completing a part of a game will unlock an ' Entitlement' and i' ll be able to use the points gained to " purchase" content from Playstation HUB?!

Y' know, Sony has a real opportunity to set themselves apart with their service, to offer stuff that Microsoft doesn' t have. Why are they just providing a carbon copy of their rivals ideas and features?!
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 00:39
In business Copying some ones ideal is fair game its a form of flattering so yeah its cool look at the Xbox 1 controllers they copied off of dream cast then look at the Xbox 360 copied off of ps2 controller look at the r1 and l1 button on the controllers . But that is all fair game in business so it’s cool to me.

Yeah Sony may have took nintindo motion thing I can’t blame them I would have to lol
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 01:46
OMG !!! Influencing controller design is one thing and blatantly coping a service is another ... Well sony has really been cornered , so they r tryin to offer everthing that their rivals are offering and this according to me will be the reason for their downfall...
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 02:01
I think there' s a difference between creating products/services inspired by your rivals, and creating products/services that are exactly the same as your rivals.
Sony has always been inspired by other companies but usually they modified the ideas so much that it in all honesty became their own thing.
But in this case, unless they make it different somehow, it' s simply the exact same thing with a different name.
2pac

RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 02:12
Out of curiosity , can u be specific please ginjirou ??
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 02:27
Microsoft hired Sega to design the xbox 1 controllers. That' s why they are similiar to the Dreamcast' s.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 02:29
Sony didn' t just steal the analog stick, they made two of them with the extra L/R-3 buttons. Not exactly THE most innovative idea of the year but still, they added their own touch. Same with the action buttons, the trigger buttons and *sigh* the d-pad.
But in the case mentioned above, it seems they' re not adding anything. But it' s really too early to tell so hopefully they' ll add some Sony touches here and there to make the idea a little more unique.

I feel that if you use a rivals idea, you have to modify it in some way in order to justify the use of it. It can be adding stuff or using it in a different way. Just anything so it doesn' t become the exact same thing that the rival offers.
2pac

RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 02:34
Ya probably they would think of something unique but still it will more or less a xbox rip off .... What i dnt understand is why sony is doin this ?? They have done well in the past stickin to their own ideas.. They r paranoid and it worries me ...
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 02:45

I feel that if you use a rivals idea, you have to modify it in some way in order to justify the use of it. It can be adding stuff or using it in a different way. Just anything so it doesn' t become the exact same thing that the rival offers.

So ture We will have to wait and see it would be cool if you won the points ( meaning you dont have to pay for em ) and then spent them like for what ever. thats cool. but i wouldent charge money for points like ls dosoe hell geometry wars should be like an gift for unlocking some achivments in the game now thats an ideal .. I just hate buying ms points
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 06:16

Y' know, Sony has a real opportunity to set themselves apart with their service, to offer stuff that Microsoft doesn' t have. Why are they just providing a carbon copy of their rivals ideas and features?!

Cause it actually works and got them where they are today :)
Nitro

RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 08:49
Microsoft' s " Achievements" were genius. They don' t really do anything but they give you an added incentive to beat them (and you can see how good people are or how far they' ve got in their games).

The only thing that spoilt it at the beginning was people playing through the EA Sports games JUST to get the easy achievements and get their Gamerscore up.

Sony called them " Entitlements" would lead me to believe that once you' ve unlocked them or whatever you' ll be entitled to additional content or downloads/whatever. If not then it' s fucking retarded.

The pad i can get over, it was bound to happen evenually, but this is lame. Sony don' t seem to have a fucking clue what we want and they have no idea what to offer so there just offering what Microsoft is because Microsofts ideas have got so much credit and good press.

If they do a Gamerscore to go with this and have a set number of points available per title like 360' s games do then Sony can get fucked.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 09:21
I think it' s quite funny how Microsoft is effectively influencing, designing and controlling Sony' s online system. This is not leadership business behaviour. Sony aren' t setting themselves up for a leadership position. Usually if you want to compete in the business world you equal and surpass what your competitors have. I havn' t seen anything that suggests this yet which is quite disappointing.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 10:30
If originality mattered, Sega and Nintendo would be a the top.

Obviously it doesn' t matter.

Whoever releases the most garbage that kiddies eat up like Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, etc. wins. It' s a shame really.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 31 Jul 06 2:30:50 >
Tim Strickland

• Total Posts : 101
RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 16:57
If these " Entitlements" earn points for purchasing products, I hope they fix cheating then.

GRAW' s achievements could be easily unlocked by using the invulnerability cheat. In Sony' s case this could be some new form of digital thievery!
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 17:22
Im willing to bet that their " Entitlements" will not unlock items from their " marketplace" but instead just be put towards items within the game such as unlocking a harder difficulty or a new car. A bit of trickery for somthing we already have but sounding better the MS ' achievments' because said points are being used for somthing. Even if that somthing is what we already do points or no points.
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 18:22
Why does it feel the PS3 is being designed by lawyers rather than passionate businessmen and desiners who are meant to strive to deliver the best product?

These chaps seem to be going for as close to the others concepts and desings as possible, in the same gen! Normally it would take at least a gen to take on a rivals hardware, and actually innovate upon it.

If I was Sony I would have gone as far away from competitors strategies as possible - otherwise it will be seen you have no true innovation (excluding core hardware) for all the little touches.

I trust nintendo not to do the same!

As for the controllers mentioned before MS has worked with sega on many smaller out sourcing issues to do with hardware design etc.. in fact its one of hte best examples of a cross breeding of ideas (rather than a borrowing of).

Perhaps we shold start a list (excluding blu ray, cell, gfx etc..) of things Sony have done this generation which are truly innovative and different to their competitors, then another which are things which are " conflicting" with fans of other systems...

The PS2 and PS1 sure didnt tread the same path.... imitation may be the best form of flattery but the PS1 worked because it was (certainly not the better in terms of power but) different and felt fresh and stood out from the rest of the pack at the time.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 19:03

ORIGINAL: Mass X

Im willing to bet that their " Entitlements" will not unlock items from their " marketplace" but instead just be put towards items within the game such as unlocking a harder difficulty or a new car. A bit of trickery for somthing we already have but sounding better the MS ' achievments' because said points are being used for somthing. Even if that somthing is what we already do points or no points.

I' d be careful mass someone from sony might be listening and patent that idea don' t give them anymore ideas..hmmm as for this entitlement thing it sounds like such and awkward word ' ' entitlement points' ' but maybe we' ll get used to it but it obvious what their muse was.
Nitro

RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 20:36

GRAW' s achievements could be easily unlocked by using the invulnerability cheat. In Sony' s case this could be some new form of digital thievery!

Invulnerability cheat?!
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Jul 31, 2006 20:58
*edit* Migraine pills rock btw..

My companies next console will be made of pasta - when you get bored, or if the load times suck you can take a nibble.

Our initial prototypes rocked hard, but due to hardware limitations chocolate kept melting.

Regardless of how or when you eat, it means we sell more when your finished!

For the next generation plans include ice cooled processors, so the whole console will be one huge block of ice with fancy white led' s in it.

In future we will be adding flavouring sauces to the range, get your strawberry sauce here....

It will also be able to hook up to your freezer to run games even faster with its auto overclocking feature. Good news for those of you in Iceland.

I charge extra for tongue removal syrum as it will stick to it.

Recently some people have talked about launching consoles which are also edible, rather than do something productive about it, we have decided to include a sexy hat and scarfe with an igloo logo on it.

If your interested in any of the above I really can' t take your traditional currency now as it is simply below our standards and you have to " earn" the right to play and eat our items.

From now on all gaming hardware sales will trade on what (I firmly believe) will be the currency of the future. Giraffe Scrotum.

for only G$200 you can have a piece of gaming history.

* consume within a week of purchase, keep refigertated, eddible banana controllers not included.
Tim Strickland

• Total Posts : 101
RE: Entitlement Unlocked?! - Aug 01, 2006 04:58

Invulnerability cheat?!

http://cheats.ign.com/ob2/068/736/736206.aspx

There you go right there. I, personally, have never used them, but more power to those who have. I prefer my achievements be gotten the honest way! I' m so close to the Heavyweight Achievement...ooh, I can feel it. That and Master of Ceremonies. And I' m DYING for Level 7.....oh god, must go play GRAW....
< Message edited by Tim Strickland -- 31 Jul 06 20:59:43 >
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread